Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Vocabulary quizzes for fun!!

dena613

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 10:47 am
I have been having fun at
https://www.merriam-webster.co.....-quiz
I'm surprised at how many words I know! (I did not have a good chol education, and I only read Jewish books and publications.)
I scored much better than average for my age group.
I think that most of the hard words I know because of reading mishpacha magazine!!!
Some words are basic, others I learned in high school (bourgeois in history class).
Try it and tell us where your vocabulary comes from!

gingertop

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:02 am
I am in the top 20% which makes me think that there's something wrong with the quiz. I'm not good with words and I don't think my vocabulary is anywhere above average. Definitely not that high.

I tried it again and got in the top 10%. I think they're overestimating me Very Happy

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:05 am
That was fun. I took it three times and twice got 10/10 but also once got 7/10 so anyone feeling bad about their score should do a re-do.
As to where my vocab comes from.... still remember most of my SAT prep plus I'm a bookworm.

relish

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:51 am

Notice that the difficulty level in the top image is not very high, and the difficulty level in the lower image is a bit higher. It seems like the points system is rigged. They give you words that you are likely to get right.

dena613

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:56 am
gingertop wrote:
I am in the top 20% which makes me think that there's something wrong with the quiz. I'm not good with words and I don't think my vocabulary is anywhere above average. Definitely not that high.

I tried it again and got in the top 10%. I think they're overestimating me Very Happy

Wow! They are not overestimating you. I got 9/10 a number of times, but many times 7/10. I occasionally land in the top 25/30/40% of players.
Some words are easy, like precocious, insidious, insinuate, revelry, and I got a real kick out of zaftig (I know from my grandparents!) but some of the words are really strange like ineluctable (I guessed well), vitiate (!?)
Just played again and made it to the top 10%! They were easy words that round

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:25 am
gingertop wrote:

I agree! I got an 8/10. I never had a great vocabulary because I never really read. Now that I'm older, I read more and my vocabulary has grown, but not by much imo. Maybe other people are dumb because I'm not very book smart.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics