Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Shaya

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 12:47 am
Where does this name come from?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 12:54 am
It's a nickname used for the name Yeshaya, as in Yeshaya HaNavi.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 4:19 am
DS is Avroham Yeshaya. We call him Shaya.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 4:59 am
Iymnok wrote:
DS is Avroham Yeshaya. We call him Shaya.

Same Smile

amother
Green

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 5:04 am
funny story!
I have a Shaya too. I picked up a prescription for him and lady behind the counter thought that it's pronounced Shaya (sounds like shade but with yeh at the end) and that it's a girl. LOL

She couldn't imagine that I would name a boy with a girl's name until she chapped that it's pronounced like the actor's name Shia Lebouf (which we pronounce as Shea). Was one interesting conversation.

MommyM

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:59 am
amother wrote:
It's a nickname used for the name Yeshaya, as in Yeshaya HaNavi.

Yeshaya HaNavi is actually shortened for his real name Yeshayahu. It's possible that Yeshaya is a real name too nowadays. If so, Shaya could be a nickname for both.

Seas

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 7:16 am
MommyM wrote:
Yeshaya HaNavi is actually shortened for his real name Yeshayahu. It's possible that Yeshaya is a real name too nowadays. If so, Shaya could be a nickname for both.

DH is quite an expert on Tanach. Most of the Tanach names ending in ה are also found ending in ו. The ו was added to imply greatness (as it forms part of the shem Hashem). So חזקיהו\חזקיה, ישעיהו\ישעיה and so on.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:58 am
So is this entirely different from the name "Yishai"? Is there such a thing to name yishai with a nickname of shaya?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
So is this entirely different from the name "Yishai"? Is there such a thing to name yishai with a nickname of shaya?

Yo shai is its own name. You can make whatever nickname you want, there are no rules about that.

Shuly

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:19 am
The usual nickname for Yishai is Shai.
Although Israelis also name just Shai.

Yishai was Dovid Hamelech's father. I think the name is used more by Sefardim.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:12 pm
And the standalone name Shai, pronounced Shy, as in bashful, means a gift.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:41 pm
I believe Shia LaBeouf does actually pronounce it the Jewish way. He's gone on record saying it is a Hebrew name, I think named after his grandfather or great grandfather.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:48 am
I found on google that LaBeouf is actually a plain French name Leboeuf (the beef).

CHAYA R

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:57 am
Hahah ive beeen called "shaya" often by non jews. Thrh cant pronounce "chaya" so "shaya" it is!

bunnyrabbit

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:55 am
So funny, first time I am on the baby name forum. My Shaya's first name is Yeshaya. He has a second name too.
I really love the name.
In Hebrew it means Hashem has/will redeem us. How beautiful is that.
We were told to NOT call him Yeshayahu, as that would be after the Navi, who died tragically. Rather, to have in mind one of the other great tzadikim named Yeshaya, such as the Chazon Ish - Avraham Yeshaya.
I believe Rav Chaim Kanievsky has a Shaya. Though they pronounce it litvish Israeli "Shayeh".

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
I believe Shia LaBeouf does actually pronounce it the Jewish way. He's gone on record saying it is a Hebrew name, I think named after his grandfather or great grandfather.

Jewish way? It could be Shia for Yeshaya. Why do you believe it is for Yehoshua?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names