Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How many yrs. does one have to keep bank statements, etc.?

rachel

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 2:05 pm
I'm trying to get rid of some paper stuff eg. bank statements, bills, etc. How long is one supposed to keep that stuff? Is there a law or something? I think I've heard once seven years but it doesn't not make any sense.

CAYA

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 3:16 pm
I throw out my bills right after paying them, and bank statements I dont keep either,

cassandra

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 7:55 pm
Bills I save for a year, and I HAVE needed them; Anything that is tax related (returns, receipts, etc.) save for 6 years since you can be audited for up to six years after you file a return.

I have found that the most organized way to store bills/bank statements is to get one of those accordion folders and use one pocket for each month-- just dump anything in there. (It also makes it easier to find a specific bill, since it is by month rather than every month of the same bill all together.)When you use it up, go back to the beginning of the folder, get rid of what is in that pocket, and start new.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Sep 06 2007, 8:43 pm
cassandra wrote:
Bills I save for a year, and I HAVE needed them; Anything that is tax related (returns, receipts, etc.) save for 6 years since you can be audited for up to six years after you file a return.

I have found that the most organized way to store bills/bank statements is to get one of those accordion folders and use one pocket for each month-- just dump anything in there. (It also makes it easier to find a specific bill, since it is by month rather than every month of the same bill all together.)When you use it up, go back to the beginning of the folder, get rid of what is in that pocket, and start new.

I actually like that idea,. I think I will try to do that. I was thinking about it before, but now I am really tempted to try it. Thanks again.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Sep 08 2007, 3:41 pm
My dad keeps stuff that is like 10 years old. My mom says it's really unnecessary - but a few times it really helped.

queen

Post Sun, Sep 09 2007, 1:19 am
For tax reasons---- SEVEN YEARS

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:50 am
I keep for 6 mths to a year. I have an accordian folder with two pockets, one for jan-june and one for july to dec. except for visa bills, e\t gets dumped in there (I don't even open e\t since its automatically paid embarrassed ). when I come around to the next set of 6 mths I toss the whole section. I keep the visa statements bec I like them for the record to see how much I spend.

shoy18

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:54 am
I don't save anything anymore besides receipts that my mortgages were paid, the bank is still a bit outdated and sends real receipts. Everything else you can get online at any time, bank statements don't even come in the mail anymore, and any other bill is available online at anytime.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 10:03 am
as soon as I do my taxes for that year I get rid of them.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 10:31 am
DH has an accordion folder for each year & he saves them in his office. I don't have a problem with it - yet. We've only been married 8 years & I don't think I'd like him to throw them out yet.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:50 pm
Taxes, you are supposed to keep indefinitely. The rest you can scan and keep on the computer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics