Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Newborn seems gassy? Constipated? Uncomfortable?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:48 am
So I have a 3 week old baby and she is super cute bH! I’m noticing that she will be unhappy and uncomfortable for an hour or so until she manages to have a dirty diaper. She will squirm, complain, kick her legs, and arch her back. Last night she didn’t have a dirty diaper until 5am and then it was huge mess and leaked through multiple layers of clothing. So my first thought is constipation or similar, but her diaper color and consistency is normal (3rd child knh).

Do I wait it out as her digestive system matures? Do I need to call the pediatrician? Or start a food elimination diet?

Please advise 🙂

(I am nursing her exclusively, usually every 3 hours but occasionally less.)

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:01 pm
Bump

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:22 pm
I think this is normal. My baby used to growl and fuss hours before pooping and my Ped said it's normal

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:31 pm
Dr recommended mylicon. Over the counter drops. Really helped during that short stage

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:36 pm
I know someone that people bring their newborns to. She holds the baby for about an hour, putting her hands on different parts of the body, and small digenstion problems like these resolve.
She says it's a form of therapy, and for newborns, she says that it's a baby gift. You pay what you can afford. She doesn't even name a price.

Pm me if your in brooklyn. I send you her info.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 2:20 pm
amother wrote:
I know someone that people bring their newborns to. She holds the baby for about an hour, putting her hands on different parts of the body, and small digenstion problems like these resolve.
She says it's a form of therapy, and for newborns, she says that it's a baby gift. You pay what you can afford. She doesn't even name a price.

She can't PM you when you are posting as amother. You need to either change to your screen name, or post an anonymous gmail account you set up for private conversations.

OP, I found that 1/4 teaspoon of prune juice every day worked wonders. I wouldn't give more than that to a newborn.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 3:30 pm
Pearl bisque and FF, thanks! I’ll speak to my ped about those different ideas.

Cyan, I’m OOT but if you know what type of specialty or handling or whatever is called I can see if there is someone who does it in my area.

CHAYA R

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:37 pm
I started giving maxi probiotic when my baby was 2 weeks old. Its a powder and called the comoany to ask how much I should give. Its good for the immune system and prettt much a great thing to give to kids especially in the winter. Usually around an hr after I give it he poops. I give it every day in his bottle same time of day. Do u nurse exclusively?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 5:31 pm
CHAYA R wrote:
I started giving maxi probiotic when my baby was 2 weeks old. Its a powder and called the comoany to ask how much I should give. Its good for the immune system and prettt much a great thing to give to kids especially in the winter. Usually around an hr after I give it he poops. I give it every day in his bottle same time of day. Do u nurse exclusively?

I live in Miami so winter is a moot point Wink
I am nursing except when I send her to the babysitter while I go to work for a couple hours 2 days a week, then I send pumped milk.

shanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:47 pm
Try tummy massage

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:45 pm
Ok so we started mylicon after feedings, and not really helping. I’ve also been bicycling her legs and rubbing her stomach.

Basically over the past couple days she grunts and kicks a lot, and has one huge dirty diaper that totally leaks through to her clothing. Is that ok? She seems to be somewhat uncomfortable, but I am able to soothe her (holding her, rocking, rubbing her back, pacifier).

fraimal

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:10 pm
ask pediatrician if you can try mylanta. I gave that to my newborn and saw a HUGE difference immediately

bunchagirlies

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:33 pm
try water with brown sugar. like an ounce or 2 of water with a couple pinches brown sugar.
The discomfort is common at this age, as they elimination process is changing from automatic/reflex, to having actually push. She may be feeling full, but can't figure out what exactly to do about it. Very common. cycling her legs, tummy massage, warm bath are all good ideas, but I have found to brown sugar water to work wonders.

artz

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:05 pm
I have a 6 month old but when she was 5 weeks she did not go for 3 weeks I was back and forth to the dr I gave her sugar water, tried the thermometer, I tried everything the dr told me to do a glycerin sepository I did it 3 times and that was the only time she went in that period of time. now she goes and goes pretty often sometimes 2-3 a day. The dr explain that their body is maturing and they have to figure out how to push. its a stage that some babies go through

shanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 2:52 am
Had this a few weeks ago. Mylicon helped and we did tummy massage too
But the best thing was switching formulas.
But you are ebf so I don't know what to recommend

bobeli

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 7:18 am
amother wrote:

Can you pm me her information?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:06 pm
Highly highly recommend evivo (a probiotic with the activated form of b infantis) or a probiotic with just b infantis (this is the only strain needed at this age). B infantis is so important especially if breastfeeding because it helps the baby digest breastmilk! It used to be passed from mother to baby during birth but that is becoming much less common now. The NY Times did an article on this recently, it explains it well -

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0......html

peacenine

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:

Cyan, I’m OOT but if you know what type of specialty or handling or whatever is called I can see if there is someone who does it in my area.

This sounds like craniosacral therapy.
My baby had similar syphtoms. I did 2 sessions with an extremely experienced craniosacral therapist and it really helped. I'm sure there are practitioners near you.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics