Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Barbecues and men

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:20 am
Okay, okay, this is not in every household, this is a general thing, so don't say, well that's not what it's like by me...please!

When women cook everyday to feed the family, it's just another meal, but if there's a barbecue and the man does it, it's like wow!! Humph!!! Mad Confused

Adding, this is in good humor. While I don't really care, I just don't get it.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 4:55 am
When we were engaged, I told Dh that the cholent and barbecues are the man’s job.
We have delicious cholent and no barbecues.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:00 am
My ex is an amazing BBQer. I was always happy to let him do his little cave man thing.

When I try, I burn everything and the middle stays raw. I can never get the knack of having the coals absolutely perfect, and controlling the timing. I can barely toast a marshmallow, but I am an excellent cook in the kitchen.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:13 am
Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm perfectly happy not to make a barbecue. I meant that when there's a barbecue which the man usually does it, it's like yum, wow, we're having a barbecue. So delicious, etc!! Not so much for every other single day that a woman cooks in the kitchen.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:51 am
I hear you. But barbecued food is delicious. Not that regular isn't, but there is something about it that feels festive. So... I hear!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:53 am
yo'ma wrote:
Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm perfectly happy not to make a barbecue. I meant that when there's a barbecue which the man usually does it, it's like yum, wow, we're having a barbecue. So delicious, etc!! Not so much for every other single day that a woman cooks in the kitchen.

Lol! I totally agree. But I'm not sure that all guys are proud of their BBQs. My FIL and DH are South American, maybe they have a certain pride. They love bragging about their delicious BBQs (even times when it doesn't come out so good😀)

Metukah

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:01 am
yo'ma wrote:

Don't forget that when they do make a barbecue, it's not even them who does all the hard work.

We marinate the meats/chickens etc. we cut the chicken and vegetables and put it on the skewers and do all the work.

Reminds of me of something I read once. I can't find the original source but I googled it and found it on funny2.com

The American Barbecue
When a man volunteers to do the barbecue, the following chain of events is put into motion:

1. The woman buys the food.

2. The woman makes a salad, prepares vegetables, and makes dessert.

3. The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

4. THE MAN PLACES THE MEAT ON THE GRILL.

5. The woman goes inside to organize the plates and cutlery.

6. The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

7. THE MAN TAKES THE MEAT OFF THE GRILL AND HANDS IT TO THE WOMAN.

8. The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.

9. After eating, the woman clears the table and does the dishes.

10. Everyone PRAISES THE MAN and THANKS HIM for his cooking efforts.

11. The man asks the woman how she enjoyed her night off and, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing her.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:01 am
yo'ma wrote:
Okay, okay, this is not in every household, this is a general thing, so don't say, well that's not what it's like by me...please!

When women cook everyday to feed the family, it's just another meal, but if there's a barbecue and the man does it, it's like wow!! Humph!!! Mad Confused

Adding, this is in good humor. While I don't really care, I just don't get it.

100%, totally agree!!

chatz

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 6:39 am
yo'ma wrote:

But that's with a lot of things. You do something every day, nobody notices. Someone takes over and does it one time, it becomes a big deal.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:09 am
I clean my house all the time. When a cleaning lady comes every one says wow look how clean it is!

ectomorph

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 7:10 am
Also who marinates stuff for a bbq. Stop doing that.

Give your husband salt and pepper and enjoy the vacation

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:18 am
Sadly, men often expect accolades for doing what women take in stride. This is because men consider such tasks to be women ‘s responsibility and they expect recognition for going the extra mile. Meanwhile women are reared to go the extra mile as a matter of course.

CHAYA R

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 8:36 am
Metukah wrote:
Don't forget that when they do make a barbecue, it's not even them who does all the hard work.

We marinate the meats/chickens etc. we cut the chicken and vegetables and put it on the skewers and do all the work.

Reminds of me of something I read once. I can't find the original source but I googled it and found it on funny2.com

The American Barbecue
When a man volunteers to do the barbecue, the following chain of events is put into motion:

3. The woman prepares the meat for cooking, places it on a tray along with the necessary cooking utensils and sauces, and takes it to the man who is lounging beside the grill - beer in hand.

6. The woman comes out to tell the man that the meat is burning. He thanks her and asks if she will bring another beer while he deals with the situation.

8. The woman prepares the plates, salad, bread, utensils, napkins, sauces and brings them to the table.

11. The man asks the woman how she enjoyed her night off and, upon seeing her annoyed reaction, concludes that there's just no pleasing her.

THIS!!!! Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter ..... thats what I was thinking when I read the first post! I Still love it ... plus easiest clean up!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:06 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Lol! I totally agree. But I'm not sure that all guys are proud of their BBQs. My FIL and DH are South American, maybe they have a certain pride. They love bragging about their delicious BBQs (even times when it doesn't come out so good😀)

HAHAHA my husband's father grew up in argentina I relate (though he does it delish)

perquacky

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:37 am
Sorry. Can't relate. My husband does ALL the cooking. And the grocery shopping. All the accolades should and do go to him.
Of course, no one ever compliments me on my spotless pots and pans or my dried-out hands. . . .

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 4:57 pm
When I was a counselor in a bungalow colony, one mother told me she would bbq when her dh wasn't there. But don't dare let him know that she knew how to. If he found out, he would never bbq again-after all, if she can, he doesn't have to!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 4:53 am
I admit, making a barbecue here, or rather the ones that we have are hard work. We don't use a gas grill. It really is an amazing grill. I don't like posting pictures here because it's a pain, so if you want to see the grill (no idea why you would want to bother, but...), I can email or whatsapp it to you. The food itself is also good if you like those foods. We have real meat. I don't know what they're called in english some of them but we have molleja, chinchurin, steak, ribs, chicken, matambre, burgers, churizos, ready made kabobs, and something we had for the first time that I don't remember the name, but I liked it. It was almost like a beef jerky. I sometimes make the salad, but this time another woman Wink made the salads and fries. There's no marinating either, just salt and pepper.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 5:01 am
Metukah wrote:

The American Barbecue

So funny! Exactly how it went at my house growing up. My mom worked so hard and dad got all the praise.
In my home, I bbq. DH just can't get it right. But no complaints. He is my constant cleaner-upper and I never mind cooking- or grilling- so long as someone else is behind me cleaning it all up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen