Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Sincere compliments

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 7:41 am
Do you only give sincere compliments or rather when you give a compliment are you sincere?

I complimented my sil on her picture yesterday and I really meant it. I do know how to compliment someone so they won't feel bad, like if they want or need to be complimented, but for the most part, if you get a compliment from me, I really mean it.

What about you?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:51 am
Depends on the situation. I wouldn’t give a fake compliment for no reason but hey, I’m not gonna tell anyone her dc looks like a monkey! I’ll say “ wow, what a great head of hair he has” or make admiring noises like “awwww” which a fond mama will interpret as “awww how adorable.”

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:02 am
I’m similar to what zaq said.

I would classify my compliments as sincere, even if sometimes I’m just doing the socially expected thing in complimenting the person (ex. at their simcha), because I do sincerely want to make them feel good. No chanifa here.

I wouldn’t outright lie and say “your dress looks amazing” if it’s not; I try to find something nice to say that I really can get behind, like “your earrings match your dress perfectly!” or “you’re mamash glowing with joy, I’m so happy for you!”

I’ve been told I give good compliments because I notice things, and that’s certainly deliberate on my part. I think I’ve read the “descriptive praise” chapter of How To Talk So Kids Will Listen half a dozen times, and it’s become ingrained in me as a parent and teacher.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:35 am
zaq wrote:
Depends on the situation. I wouldn’t give a fake compliment for no reason but hey, I’m not gonna tell anyone her dc looks like a monkey! I’ll say “ wow, what a great head of hair he has” or make admiring noises like “awwww” which a fond mama will interpret as “awww how adorable.”

This exactly. I love giving compliments and give only sincere ones. I can always find some nice things to say about everyone. But if someone asks if I like their dress I would never hurt their feelings and say no. I will:

A) find something I like about it like the color
Or
B) smile and say it’s really nice or “it’s so you” without being overly gushing and fake

gold21

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 10:40 am
I don't compliment all the time, I'm more of a quiet person than an effusive person (except for my children of course, who get plenty of compliments from me lol)

But if you get a compliment from me, it's genuine

amother
Black

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 12:57 pm
I have to remind myself to tell people if I admire something about them, because why not? It makes someone happy and costs nothing. So if I remember I might go over to a stranger in the street and tell her her blouse is beautiful, or tell someone at work I admire the neatness of her work station or the tchotchke on her desk. Women only, of course.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette