Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chanukah vacation vent
1  2  3  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:47 am
My girls are off Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Way too much vacation in my opinion. B'h I am on maternity leave, but what on Earth do people do with their kids all week? And to add to that my boys are off half day Thursday through next Monday. So between girls and boys, basically entire Chanukah is vacation. How are parents supposed to work to pay tuition to these schools??

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:50 am
Wow that is alot of vacation! My girls are off just Friday thru Monday. I'm guessing they will vegetate half of Friday, and by the time they get up, daven, and shower, it will take all day. I'd be lucky if I get them to bake something for Shabbos....

I plan to take a day off on Monday and get together with family, do something fun.....it's just one day.

syrima

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:58 am
Tis the season...I think we have a vent about this every year.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 9:59 am
I'm guessing that you send to the same schools that I do. Was your girls' scheduled vacation only Mon through Wed and then Fri was added a week ago due to "concerns" about the schedule?

I have no idea for what we are supposed to do for next year, but please please please call the school and complain about the schedule, and the change, so that they don't do this again next year! The more parents who complain, the more likely they'll hear our "concerns" about the schedule.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
My girls are off Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Way too much vacation in my opinion. B'h I am on maternity leave, but what on Earth do people do with their kids all week? And to add to that my boys are off half day Thursday through next Monday. So between girls and boys, basically entire Chanukah is vacation. How are parents supposed to work to pay tuition to these schools??

They’re off Monday-Wednesday, have school Thursday, and then are off again Friday? That’s a little silly.
My kids are all off Thursday and Friday, and then two are off Monday as well (3 kids, 3 different schools)
I have off Thursday-Monday.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:10 am
That's a lot of vacation with mid winter coming up!
My kids are off Thursday Friday Monday. I'm planning to take off Monday and go on a trip.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:28 am
My kids don't have any vacation for Chanuka and I'm super happy about that.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
I'm guessing that you send to the same schools that I do. Was your girls' scheduled vacation only Mon through Wed and then Fri was added a week ago due to "concerns" about the schedule?

I have no idea for what we are supposed to do for next year, but please please please call the school and complain about the schedule, and the change, so that they don't do this again next year! The more parents who complain, the more likely they'll hear our "concerns" about the schedule.

Yes!! Omg, "many parents have expressed concern about the difficulty of having school the Friday of Chanukah...."
They are the only school I know of that doesn't give the fri-mon weekend Chanukah vacation. Last year I called to complain and they said they give the same vacation as the high school ( who deserves so many full days because they work so hard) and then do some maintenance work in the empty building. What they don't understand, is that high school girls don't need a parent to babysit them!!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 10:49 am
amother wrote:
Yes!! Omg, "many parents have expressed concern about the difficulty of having school the Friday of Chanukah...."
They are the only school I know of that doesn't give the fri-mon weekend Chanukah vacation. Last year I called to complain and they said they give the same vacation as the high school ( who deserves so many full days because they work so hard) and then do some maintenance work in the empty building. What they don't understand, is that high school girls don't need a parent to babysit them!!

If you want to be technical, they didn't even mention that it was parents who expressed the concern: "Some concern has been expressed about the difficulty of having school on the Friday of חנוכה." I am convinced that it was teachers/staff who complained (because, for goodness sake, if you want to go away for Shabbos and your kids have school, by all means, pull your kids out of school by yourself!). Twisted Evil

The Mon -- Wed schedule is ridiculous, but it's the way it's been for 30 years or so. What possessed them this year to add to that is anyone's guess. But it's particularly onerous when you consider that the boys' schools all have a Fri -- Mon schedule so you can spend the entire week taking off to babysit your kids, and not even getting a day when everyone's off together (maybe that's the point).

As for the HS, that's a joke. The HS has a reputation of constantly giving off. But either way, having elementary kids off with the same schedule is very difficult on working parents.

And ... midwinter vacation is coming up in two months. Yay!

My favorite part is when I get letters about what I'm allowed to do with my daughters in their time off. You want to regulate what they do, have school, please. You give off, I will do with my daughters whatever I want to. (FTR, I don't do anything more exciting than a trip to the grocery, or the dentist, or maybe the library. But it's the principle that gets to me.)

At any rate, please complain so that I won't be the only one who has done so.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:28 am
I love it when my kids are off for Chanuka.

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
If you want to be technical, they didn't even mention that it was parents who expressed the concern: "Some concern has been expressed about the difficulty of having school on the Friday of חנוכה." I am convinced that it was teachers/staff who complained (because, for goodness sake, if you want to go away for Shabbos and your kids have school, by all means, pull your kids out of school by yourself!). Twisted Evil

The Mon -- Wed schedule is ridiculous, but it's the way it's been for 30 years or so. What possessed them this year to add to that is anyone's guess. But it's particularly onerous when you consider that the boys' schools all have a Fri -- Mon schedule so you can spend the entire week taking off to babysit your kids, and not even getting a day when everyone's off together (maybe that's the point).

As for the HS, that's a joke. The HS has a reputation of constantly giving off. But either way, having elementary kids off with the same schedule is very difficult on working parents.

My favorite part is when I get letters about what I'm allowed to do with my daughters in their time off. You want to regulate what they do, have school, please. You give off, I will do with my daughters whatever I want to. (FTR, I don't do anything more exciting than a trip to the grocery, or the dentist, or maybe the library. But it's the principle that gets to me.)

It's actually good that HS girls are off the same time. Babysitters are available. Perhaps even chessed babysitters.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:41 am
I don't know any HS girls, and I highly doubt that any of them want to do chessed babysitting. After all, they need three full days off because they work so hard.

But either way, I think everyone who sends to the school and also has sons in a boys' yeshiva has their sons off on a Fri-Mon schedule, so everyone needs double childcare for no good reason whatsoever. Given the choice between aligning my daughters' vacation with my sons' or with the HS, I'll choose my sons'.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:59 am
Fully agree. It's very hard on working parents and I don't really see the reason for it. What's going on on Chanukah that makes it compelling to have so many days off? Fast days, isru chag, and the week before Putting at least I understand the appeal so it's easier to just deal with the kids off. But this is just... And there's also going to be winter break which is of course not going to be the same time as secular winter break when many parents will have at least some time off.

I just really don't get it.

mfb

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:10 pm
Bh my girls have fri.-mon. And boys don’t have at all. They just start late and end early.

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
I don't know any HS girls, and I highly doubt that any of them want to do chessed babysitting. After all, they need three full days off because they work so hard.

But either way, I think everyone who sends to the school and also has sons in a boys' yeshiva has their sons off on a Fri-Mon schedule, so everyone needs double childcare for no good reason whatsoever. Given the choice between aligning my daughters' vacation with my sons' or with the HS, I'll choose my sons'.

It never hurts to ask when you need help. If you need the principal could recommend. The school I sold to requires chessed hours.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:23 pm
Squishy wrote:
It never hurts to ask when you need help. If you need the principal could recommend. The school I sold to requires chessed hours.

Im the op. I highly doubt that high school girls are interested in babysitting over vacation. They spend their Vacation relaxing, shopping or going out with friends.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:25 pm
Only anon because I talk about this in real life....

Its all to make the teachers happy. Seriously. I keep hearing how the teachers work so hard so... They need tips/ gifts (unethical in most helping professions), they need the Rosh Chodesh treats/catered lunches/donuts/muffins etc, they need those random days off, they need several days before chag and Issru chag....

My job is just as hard or even harder. No benefits like Chagim off, never Issru chag or erev chag, no special breakfast/lunches. Never any gifts or tips. But I am constantly asked to sponsor this or that for the teachers. Sorry but no. Tuition is high enough plus I have to pay for babysitters for those "mandatory days off".
My husband also has to work crazy hours. All to pay basic bills and no extras like pizza Thursdays, vacations, or coordinating clothes for my kids. Just to pay rent, tuition, food, utilities and other real needs. Somehow the teachers can do all that and they still *need* so much. Banging head

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:

Things are so different now than 30 years ago, time to change with the times. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a chutzpah it is on the school's part. Twisted Evil

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:

My girls must be in the same school too, Friday was added last minute. My 9th grade dd is sitting next to me now and relaxing, she said "NO NO NO" don't call the school to complain about the vacation, she is LOVING it Smile

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
My girls must be in the same school too, Friday was added last minute. My 9th grade dd is sitting next to me now and relaxing, she said "NO NO NO" don't call the school to complain about the vacation, she is LOVING it Smile

Of course she's loving it. It's the parents that aren't loving it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics