Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
When do you give bonus to cleaning help?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:15 pm
When do you give a gift/bonus to your cleaning help? Is this week too early?
I plan to give $50. She works at other women too so hopefully they'll each give her as well.
Last year, people on this site told me I had to give $100-200 (I pay her $100 a week)- but I cannot afford that now. I do often let her go early, gift her small items that I don't want etc. (like a $10 coupon, or a crystal chatchke that I don't need...)

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:18 pm
Now is good. I try to give around Chanukah time and say it's for the holidays rather than give the week of x-mas. It's also good to give early so she knows what money she can count on.

Obviously you can only give what you can afford even if it's less than the norm (or at least less than the norm on Imamother).

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:24 pm
Giving the time of their holiday becomes questionable halachically. You are allowed to give when it is our holiday.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:37 pm
100 200? lol people are rich...

cm

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:46 pm
Assuming she celebrates x-mas, giving as early as possible would be appreciated. People of modest means are stretched thin this time of year.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:51 pm
now this week when she comes during chanukah

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:54 pm
I have cleaning help for four hours a week. I plan to give her a 50% bonus sometime in the near future - probably the week after next (as she won't be coming to me next week).

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 1:55 pm
You can always buy a gift and not give money.
I only have cleaning help 1x a week so I don’t always give something.
One year a gave a cheap winter coat which cost me $20. I think she really liked the coat a lot.
One year I gave packages of crayons and coloring books for her kids... maybe some candy too..
One year she was looking for change for me since I paid her $9 extra and I told her it’s okay, she doesn’t have to give me change.. present for the holiday... she was happy about that.

Last edited by lkwdlady on Mon, Dec 03 2018, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommyhood

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:03 pm
I give Chanukah. I usually give 50%, more if I've had someone a while and I really value them.

Turquoise

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:07 pm
I gave mine a gift card to Starbucks I would love to give her money but really not at that point now... reading what other people give hope she wasn't expecting money from me..

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 2:14 pm
No one is going to be offended by receiving money early as a gift or be offended if you call if a Hanukah gift.

As others have posted, people need money for holiday shopping probably so this would be welcome to help fund her gift giving.

It is customary to give a week's compensation or what you normally pay her for her services.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:05 pm
I gave mine a mickey mouse set of linen, poker cards, football, which my child, a patient, got for gift but he doesn't need.

Last year I gave her all Frozen & Elsa themed stuff we got, that we didn't need. Dolls, puzzles etc. She was so excited because her dgtr is obsessed with them. Starwars themed stuff for her boys.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:09 pm
I only give cash. I guess I should give this week. Or before New years. (we always specify it is new year gift)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 7:06 pm
I thought $100 was overly generous! There is no need to give so much! There is no set rule on how much to give. Some give gifts and some gift money...

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:25 pm
I give pesach time in appreciation for all the extra hard work preparing for pesach. I like it that way much better since I’m expressing true appreciation and not just giving because I’m supposed to. I always include a nice thank you card.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics