Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Are your bedrooms always clean?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:11 pm
Beds made
no clothing on the floor, beds, chairs,,,, dresser clutter free and neat
Closets neat looking
No toys, books, papers and games spread out all over

Because I just can’t do it! 5 bedrooms and they all look pretty bad. Once a week the cleaning lady comes and straightens all the rooms, then it looks nice.... but the rest of the days Can't Believe It

Do you let family members bring friends/guests to bedrooms?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:34 pm
My kids are old enough to clean their own rooms. If they choose not to, I don’t clean for them. If they want to have friends over, their room is a reflection on them.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:41 pm
Bedrooms are always clean and organized with the beds made. Children are taught not to leave the house unless their room is picked up.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:15 am
No.

Not at all embarrassed to post this under my screen name. I work full time, and cleaning the bedrooms constantly is not as important as spending time with my family, sleep, and hobbies. I clean different parts of the bedroom at different times, so sometimes the clutter is on the left, sometimes on the right, etc.

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:38 am
Haha no. Before Shabbat yes, otherwise usually not

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:40 am
The ones my kids don’t live in any more pretty much!

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:50 am
One of my kids bedrooms is always a mess. We work on it, but it's a problem. The other kids rooms are pretty decent.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:19 am
No, nearly never. I ration my time and energy.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:38 am
amother wrote:
Beds made
no clothing on the floor, beds, chairs,,,, dresser clutter free and neat
Closets neat looking
No toys, books, papers and games spread out all over

Because I just can’t do it! 5 bedrooms and they all look pretty bad. Once a week the cleaning lady comes and straightens all the rooms, then it looks nice.... but the rest of the days Can't Believe It

Do you let family members bring friends/guests to bedrooms?

Our bedroom is clean.. we don't make our beds though. It helps that the room is quite small and we have nothing but the bed, 2 nightstands and 2 flowers in the room. No dresser or closet because I'd have tons of clothes lying around then. I find it helpful to have a tidy bedroom because I have insomnia and it used to be even worse when there were tons of things all over the place.

The kids rooms are a different story lol I'd still say our bedrooms are tidyer than let's say living room. They do have toys and stuff lying around but I don't allow dirty clothes or food or shoes on the bedrooms. And I usually tidy up the rooms every evening before bedtime. They can take their friend into their rooms but we never have people come to our bedroom, that would be kind of weird LOL

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:05 am
Like, never.
I pay a teenager to clean up my kids room weekly and I wish I was training the kids to do it, but I cant muster the energy.
My own room and the living room are tidy. We dont have a toyroom.

LisaS

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:05 am
I tried to leave my own bedroom clean. Kids room, nope!

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:14 am
I use an app for daily routines and one of them is cleaning my bedroom every day- I realised I need to do this otherwise clothes get lost in the mess, small things fly around etc.

Sleepymama

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:56 am
Iymnok wrote:
I ration my time and energy.

This!!
Thank you for phrasing this so perfectly! "Ration" is the perfect word for it because the supply is limited and must be used carefully.
Mind if I "steal" this great line? Wink

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 5:29 am
nope, not even close.
beds are never made and it is each person's own responsibility to clean their room or part of their room.
My child is old enough to do that or not. Not my responsibility.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 5:40 am
amother wrote:
Like, never.
I pay a teenager to clean up my kids room weekly and I wish I was training the kids to do it, but I cant muster the energy.
My own room and the living room are tidy. We dont have a toyroom.

How old are your kids? How do they feel about a teen having to clean after them?

When I was in sem in Israel, I cleaned homes to make money and I always found it strange that teens my age were okay with the fact that I cleaned after them. I'd be embarrassed to see someone having to put my dirty laundry in the basket and cleaning my toilet when we're both teens (I was 18)

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 8:07 am
Nope, never. Everyone does have to clear the floor of their room before the cleaning lady comes so that she can vacuum. Up to them if they actually put stuff away or just stick it on top of the bed or dresser. And making beds is not a priority, never saw the point. In fact, I don't think I've ever made a bed in my life LOL

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 9:27 am
Ha!
When my children’s rooms were my despair, I told myself that I would miss the mess when they grew up and moved out. Well, I don’t miss the mess but I miss them and the mess was a sign that they lived here. A room that is always pristine is pretty sterile.

You have to choose your priorities. Even when I had a cleaning lady, I needed her to clean, not tidy. Having her make beds was a waste when I needed her to clean grimy floors and other grungy household surfaces.

Now with children out of the house and my energy not needed for their care and for counteracting their effect on the household environment, I have the leisure to make beds again. It IS much more pleasant to come home to made beds, but believe me when I tell you that when I had young children, that was almost the last thing I cared about. THE last thing was the inside of the oven.

Choose your priorities. They should change as your circumstances change. And don’t compare yourself to Mrs. Yennem. Her circs are different from yours.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 9:41 am
zaq wrote:
Ha!
When my children’s rooms were my despair, I told myself that I would miss the mess when they grew up and moved out. Well, I don’t miss the mess but I miss them and the mess was a sign that they lived here. A room that is always pristine is pretty sterile.

You have to choose your priorities. Even when I had a cleaning lady, I needed her to clean, not tidy. Having her make beds was a waste when I needed her to clean grimy floors and other grungy household surfaces.

Now with children out of the house and my energy not needed for their care and for counteracting their effect on the household environment, I have the leisure to make beds again. It IS much more pleasant to come home to made beds, but believe me when I tell you that when I had young children, that was almost the last thing I cared about. THE last thing was the inside of the oven.

Choose your priorities. They should change as your circumstances change. And don’t compare yourself to Mrs. Yennem. Her circs are different from yours.

Op here- I do think like that .. imagining when my kids will be out of the house and I won’t have a mess and clutter... and it’s sad to think about it even though I cannot stay on top of it all. I imagine that my messy playroom will one day be a neat family room with only a few toys for the grandchildren. I never quite imagined the bedrooms always and forever neat... but you have a point. Since I’m not there yet, and the mess bothers me I’m trying to figure out what to do. For example, my bar mitzvah boys shabbos suit is still not hung up,, it’s just spread out over a chair among other things on the chair. His night table is a mountain of clutter that he claims he needs all of.
My girls have waaay too much junk in their room. Forget that they never hang clothing up, have no problem leaving dirty pajamas, underwear, towels on their floor or on top of unmade beds... but they can’t part with things they got from camp or won in school... it’s really just too much.
Of course I will miss having young children at home but I feel like the way I’m living now is just not the right way. I’m not talking about sparkling bathrooms, and freshly scrubbed ovens... I’m talking about just having the rooms somewhat presentable at all times. Is that too much to ask for when they are living at home?

pause

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:24 am
Isn't that why bedrooms have doors?

For Shabbos we make sure to have made beds and clean floors. The rest of the week... we use our doors. Very Happy

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:08 am
Yes but.
I only have kids under6 and they're not allowed in their bedrooms during the day since they like to dump the dressers. ..

I fully expect this to change
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry