Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pads / periods in school
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:31 am
My daughter got her period for the first time. We are trying to figure out how to take care of herself in school. She says there aren't any garbage cans in the bathroom area where she can get rid of any pads. And she's embarrassed to sneak it back into her briefcase in case anyone notices.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:45 am
No garbage cans in the stalls, or in the bathroom at all? Seems really weird for a girl's school.

If you go to a pet store, they make these small "doggie doo" bags that are not see through. She could put her used pads in there and throw them out, without anyone knowing what is in there.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonB.....B1R0M

It comes with a discreet little dispenser, too.

gibberish

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:47 am
Maybe she doesn't realize that the metal bins in the stall are for used pads?

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:53 am
Talk to the administration and explain that they need to have trash cans in the bathroom stalls.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:18 am
amother wrote:
My daughter got her period for the first time. We are trying to figure out how to take care of herself in school. She says there aren't any garbage cans in the bathroom area where she can get rid of any pads. And she's embarrassed to sneak it back into her briefcase in case anyone notices.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Are you sure? I've never heard of such a thing in a girl's school- does she know that it's not a regular trash can but a small metal thing attached to the wall? Could it be it's there but she didn't realize that's what it was?

If not, maybe get here the pads that come with a plastic wrapper you can use to wrap the used one up. She can wrap it up (and maybe wrap in a layer of toilet paper too just to reduce the 'yuck' factor) and slip it into her tights - guess she'll need to be wearing tights for this to work - and she can then discreetly dispose of it when no one's looking.

Miri7

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:24 am
Call the school. They can tell you if they have bins in the stalls. If they don’t they need to put them in. It’s also good for the schools to keeps some pads in the restroom where the girls know to find them. Our school does this.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:35 am
Off topic, but I have a vivid memory of thinking it was so unfair in 9th grade that they only gave a 5 minute break between classes because I had to run from one end of the building to another just to have barely enough time to pee and change pads. High school is rough. So glad that's over.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:39 am
Even if no bin in the stall - there must be one near the sinks?? I can't see why this item can't be wrapped up in TP (maybe put in a baggy?) and carried out to a bin in the washroom.

cm

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
Even if no bin in the stall - there must be one near the sinks?? I can't see why this item can't be wrapped up in TP (maybe put in a baggy?) and carried out to a bin in the washroom.

Many teenage girls would be horrified to do this.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:41 am
I find it hard to believe that a school does not have a trash can in each stall. I would call ask about it.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:24 pm
I'm not really familiar with trash can inside the toilet. Yeah, you had to go out to throw it. Or course some disgusting people throw in the toilet or on the ground... even as adults...

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:55 pm
Ruchal I don't remember ever using a public or school bathroom that did not have a trash bin in each stall.

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:15 pm
Europeans are less hung up on this.

Often in apartments there is one trash can, in the kitchen. Even if there are girls and women living there.

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:29 pm
Brown paper bags

jewishmom4

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:04 pm
I have vivid memories of running to change pads in school, ran to other end of building, changed, put the dirty one into my tights and quickly dropped it into garbage can that was sitting "outside" the bathroom, was soo stressful for an 8th grader...

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:20 pm
I used to wrap the dirty pad into the wrapper of the new one, and tuck it neatly into the top side of my tights.
Discarded it at home. It never bothered me there.

ima22

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:24 pm
My elementary school did not have garbage cans in the bathrooms at all. It was unnecessarily stressful for a school age child to figure out the logistics. Never asked my mother to address it with the school. Was too embarrassed. When the time comes for my daughter I will check out her school's bathroom set-up.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:25 pm
Why doesn't she wear tampons just to school? Then drop them straight into the toilet and problem solved.

trixx

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:29 pm
I used to stick pads into my tights lol
As a teacher I allow students to take their bags out with them to the bathroom (I had some teachers who didn't - I guess bc they thought we would ditch)

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:39 pm
There must be little garbage bins inside the stall, if not, at least in the bathroom. Not even one garbage?

Some of you ladies walked around with dirty pads until you got home??? 🤢 That’s disgusting. Even in my terrible, inner city public school, we had at least one garbage can in the bathroom and when girls had their periods, they had to leave the stalls to throw away whatever. Was never an issue.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children