Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Would you buy this car?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 11:40 pm
You may have seen my thread recently about my car dying and asking about used cars. I found a 2010 Hyundai Sonata from a dealer. My mechanic (whom my father has been using for a long time, and trusts) said that the car is in good condition--he did all the work that it needed before the dealer could put it out for sale. It only has 41,000 miles on it. He's asking for $6,900, but I got him down to $6,500 (without all the other fees).

We're looking for a car that will last us as long as possible, but this is more money than we were initially looking to spend. However, if the car will last, it's worthwhile.

I've been hearing from some people that Hyundais are not the best. However, the dealer told me that they knew someone else who had the same exact car, and had 167,000 miles on it when he totaled the car. If I could get another 120,000 miles out of this car, it'll last me a really long time--I do mostly local driving, with occasional highway driving, and longer distances pretty sparingly.

The mechanic told me that there are no guarantees, but he thinks it's a good investment.

Would you buy this car?

(Keep in mind -- I am not interested in leasing, for various reasons. I am looking to buy used.)

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:17 am
I don't know. We bought a used Honda Odyssey with under 100,000 miles for $3,000 and the transmission went less than a month later.

Will the dealer give you any sort of warranty?

I still regret not repairing our Previa Crying it would have been expensive but it's a solid car worth investing in.

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:31 am
Looking it up in Kelly's, the car is worth $11, 690.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:37 am
amother wrote:
I don't know. We bought a used Honda Odyssey with under 100,000 miles for $3,000 and the transmission went less than a month later.

Will the dealer give you any sort of warranty?

I still regret not repairing our Previa Crying it would have been expensive but it's a solid car worth investing in.

Dealer said I can get an extended warranty for 5 years. However, it will cost an extra $1,700. Not sure if I have the money for that.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 12:38 am
Squishy wrote:
Looking it up in Kelly's, the car is worth $11, 690.

Where did you get that?! I'm looking it up on KBB, and I'm finding a value of somewhere between $6,000-$7,200. They say that fair market value is $6,700, but the typical listing price is $7,100.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 1:57 am
I would ask the mechanic "if the head gasket went tomorrow, would you still consider this car a good deal?" If the answer was no, I don't think I'd put that much money into it. I'd only spend upwards of $5,000 on a car I think is worth repairing.

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:25 am
We had bought a second hand car twice & kept paying for repairs. Since then we lease. Get a brand new car every year.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 3:01 am
To me, that car sounds reasonable. I've only bought used cars throughout my life (have had a driving license for almost 25 years). Some were good ones that went without repairs several years, some were so-so and one 16 year old Subaru was a total lemon. It held together alright for a year and then suddenly every week something else broke on it.
Generally, newer and fewer miles is better. Hyundais are considered as long lasting cars in Israel. You could research used car websites about Hyundai Sonatas and see what other people say about this model and what their experiences are.
In the end, with used cars you'll know only looking back if it was a good one or not.
I once did the math about leasing: it turned out a lot more expensive than buying used, even if you add repairs.
Also, I want to have the feeling that my car is really mine and not worry about every scratch. So, I keep buying used.

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 9:19 am
Does the mechanic offer any sort of guarantee? Like 30 days?

I love my Hyundai sonata, but I have a 2015. I'm not sure how different the 2010 is. What I do know is that my trusted car dealer told me that a sonata is a great choice for someone who wants a car that will last and can't afford a Toyota.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:24 pm
Sonatas are known to be good cats our 09 got totaled in April we bought a used 2015 and are bh very happy with it

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:27 pm
We have an 07 sonata that's still chugging along. It is falling apart at the seams though, as an 11 year old car will. How long do you anticipate having this car?

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
We have an 07 sonata that's still chugging along. It is falling apart at the seams though, as an 11 year old car will. How long do you anticipate having this car?

How many miles does it have?

I do mostly local driving, so I was hoping it would last us a while... My parents had a 1999 Ford minivan from 2001 until this year.

mommy12

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:39 pm
Our 2009 Sonata is still in great shape. So is my father's and my brother's.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:43 pm
mommy12 wrote:
Our 2009 Sonata is still in great shape. So is my father's and my brother's.

Again, how many miles?

mandr

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:53 pm
It's not just miles that make a difference, but what kind of miles they are. 150k miles on the highway is VERY different from 150k miles of local city driving.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:05 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
I once did the math about leasing: it turned out a lot more expensive than buying used, even if you add repairs.

I agree in general, but the cost of not having a car for days or weeks when something else breaks, the question with every repair "is this worth it or should we quit on this one while we're behind" is also pretty significant.

If you have a trusted mechanic and can put money aside in anticipation of repairs, then it definitely pushes the odds more in favor of buying used.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
You may have seen my thread recently about my car dying and asking about used cars. I found a 2010 Hyundai Sonata from a dealer. My mechanic (whom my father has been using for a long time, and trusts) said that the car is in good condition--he did all the work that it needed before the dealer could put it out for sale. It only has 41,000 miles on it. He's asking for $6,900, but I got him down to $6,500 (without all the other fees).

We're looking for a car that will last us as long as possible, but this is more money than we were initially looking to spend. However, if the car will last, it's worthwhile.

I've been hearing from some people that Hyundais are not the best. However, the dealer told me that they knew someone else who had the same exact car, and had 167,000 miles on it when he totaled the car. If I could get another 120,000 miles out of this car, it'll last me a really long time--I do mostly local driving, with occasional highway driving, and longer distances pretty sparingly.

The mechanic told me that there are no guarantees, but he thinks it's a good investment.

Would you buy this car?

(Keep in mind -- I am not interested in leasing, for various reasons. I am looking to buy used.)

Stay away from hyundais especially used ones, my very honest leasing place told me right away they’re junk when I asked about one...

Cheiny

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:23 pm
dankbar wrote:
We had bought a second hand car twice & kept paying for repairs. Since then we lease. Get a brand new car every year.

Every year? Never heard of that...I thought leases last for 3 yrs

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 1:21 pm
I can't tell you what to do, but we bought a Hyundai 2.5 years ago and we are very happy with it.

We paid in repairs so far what we paid for the car.
Which sounds terrible until I tell you that we paid under 1500 dollars for the car.

(It's a 2004)

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:32 pm
We have a 2010 Hyundai Sonata, barely needs repairs so far bli ayin hara
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries