Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/O Why is adult FRUM literature awful?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Boca00

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to write a frum novel where the two halves of a couple don't grow religiously at the same pace. Or one of the couple doesn't grow religiously at all. Ever. Without a "happy" ending. It does happen in real life. So, I'm still waiting...and waiting...and waiting... Wake me up if there ever is a frum novel like that.

Or where there is a boy and a girl (or man and woman) and they don't get married in the end!

trixx

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to write a frum novel where the two halves of a couple don't grow religiously at the same pace. Or one of the couple doesn't grow religiously at all. Ever. Without a "happy" ending. It does happen in real life. So, I'm still waiting...and waiting...and waiting... Wake me up if there ever is a frum novel like that.

Can't remember the title but years ago I read a book about a girl who became baal teshuva and dated a very nice guy who then found out he was a total mamzer. Book ends with them breaking up.

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:39 pm
trixx wrote:
Can't remember the title but years ago I read a book about a girl who became baal teshuva and dated a very nice guy who then found out he was a total mamzer. Book ends with them breaking up.

If it was the girl who found out she was a mamzer then I read that book too. She resolved to never get married. Made me so sad. And angry - I keep thinking there has to be a better way.

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:41 pm
I read it too. Hated the ending .

turca

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:48 pm
Frum books reflect what frum society wants: people getting married and having a picture-perfect life with children matching clothing that are the latest style!

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:52 pm
There was a serial in one of the magazines a bunch of years ago that started out with the husband looking like he was starting to slip religiously. But then they got flak for it and the story changed to the husband having depression (that was now the issue being brought to the forefront), with much of the focus placed on the relationship between the wife and her MIL.

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:55 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
I read it too. Hated the ending .

It was based on a true story, and not all of real life ends happily ever after.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:07 pm
animeme wrote:
There was a serial in one of the magazines a bunch of years ago that started out with the husband looking like he was starting to slip religiously. But then they got flak for it and the story changed to the husband having depression (that was now the issue being brought to the forefront), with much of the focus placed on the relationship between the wife and her MIL.

I remember that serial. it was in Family First. It was really interesting until... it wasn't.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 7:51 am
I like frum literature. Like all literature lhavdil some is better than others.

ssspectacular

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:55 am
I also find that the short stories in the Jewish magazines end very abruptly. They get a good story going then suddenly stop it with some moral.....

WastingTime

Post Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:29 pm
I stopped reading frum books yrs ago. I just couldn't anymore. Somehow they were all just so flat, the writing, the characters, the plot...oh well

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Sep 14 2018, 4:33 am
animeme wrote:

There's a current serial to that effect in Ami Living called The Stars Are Fire. They get divorced.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:41 am
trixx wrote:

I've read two like that - one by Ruth Benjamin that I don't remember the name of, and one that I think was called Shades of Grey. Both were really good.

Orchid

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:13 pm
trixx wrote:

I read that book many years ago. Remembering thinking the author pulled off quite the feat, writing a book about a mamzer without saying the word once (both Hebrew and English).

gingertop

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:31 pm
Orchid wrote:
I read that book many years ago. Remembering thinking the author pulled off quite the feat, writing a book about a mamzer without saying the word once (both Hebrew and English).

I think you're referring to "Nothing But the Truth" by Leah Friedman.

The other book about this issue was "Yesterday's Child" by Ruth Benjamin

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:31 pm
There are no good frum novels because the author's never studied how to write. They probably took a frum course and decided they're good enough. Also if they've never read a nonjewish book... How will they know what a good book is?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
I've read two like that - one by Ruth Benjamin that I don't remember the name of, and one that I think was called Shades of Grey. Both were really good.

Shades of grey? Well I hope noone goes looking for that book and ends up with 50 shades of grey LOL LOL

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
Shades of grey? Well I hope noone goes looking for that book and ends up with 50 shades of grey LOL LOL

Rolling Laughter

SuperWify

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 7:13 pm
gingertop wrote:
I think you're referring to "Nothing But the Truth" by Leah Friedman.

The other book about this issue was "Yesterday's Child" by Ruth Benjamin

If I remember correctly in the end of “Yesterday’s Child” the boy finds out his mom had a get and he’s not a mamzer 🙄

mandr

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 10:47 pm
It's really like a build your own recipe for Jewish books:

Choose a character/characters:
1) single girl in shidduchim
2) couple in marital distress
3) someone who is OTD
4) baal/baalas teshuva

Choose a setting:
1) Tristate area
2) Israel

Choose a main crisis:
1) shidduch crisis
2) OTD crisis
3) shalom bayis problems
4) social issues
5) someone suffers from a bad disease

Choose a resolution:
1) character finds a shidduch and gets married
2) couple gets therapy
3) OTD person gets back on track
4) baal/baalas teshuva learns to integrate
5) treatment works

End result: Happily ever after!!!
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room