Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pads / periods in school
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

tzimip

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 8:52 am
I've been doing this for years (3 tissues). It really works. Definitely worth a try.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:11 am
nchr wrote:
This is a problem because, depending on your flow and the brand of toilet paper, the tissues may disintegrate, leaving you with quite mess and small, micro pieces of toilet paper. (This is the reason why toilet paper is safe to flush, while tampons and wipes are not - they disintegrate.) In addition, even if they do not dissolve (yet), they may become soaked (think what it would look like if you held toilet paper under a faucet) and not be practical to remove. If this works for you and your daughter, great, but it will not work for everyone (speaking from personal experience in no other option period situations).

The tissue will definitely disintegrate but so what? It will come off when you shower.

jewishmom4

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 1:18 pm
tzimip wrote:
I've been doing this for years (3 tissues). It really works. Definitely worth a try.

im started doing this recently when I work full day the first day or 2 of period, works really well, wish wldve know this as a high schooler, I change every time I use the bathroom, and put abt 2-3 tissues, usually doesnt leak

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 2:12 pm
So we came up with the idea to double stack the pads. In the morning before leaving for school she'll put 2 pads one on top of the other in her panty. Lunchtime she'll get rid of the top one. And then she'll have a clean one for the rest of the day.

And turns out there's a silver bin attached to the wall in each stall. She never noticed or thought it's a disposal before.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:44 pm
nchr wrote:
Honestly, people should not be flushing tampons, pads, condoms, wipes (even flushable ones), certain brands of toilet paper etc. Maybe people you know ("virtually everyone") are simply ignorant or outright selfish and do not care about a building's plumbing or another's financial loss. I personally do not know anyone who flushes those items and I cannot fathom them continuing after dealing with plumbers, but could imagine people may not care at a hotel, school building, etc. Still, I would never do that because since childhood I've been taught to only flush toilet paper down the toilet and doing so it irresponsible.

My mind is blown. I've been flushing tampons my whole life!! I've lived in many different places and I've never stuffed up a toilet from it. I never ever heard that you shouldn't flush an tampon. Is this really a thing? If so, maybe it shouldn't be. All my toilets have handled it just fine for years and years.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:53 pm
My workplace has BIG signs all over the bathroom: Ladies, please do not flush your personal hygiene products as it has caused many plumbing issues.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:57 pm
Sapphire, in many public restrooms there are signs not to flush sanitary products. I think it also says on the box of the tampons not to flush.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 5:31 pm
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 5:33 pm
amother wrote:
My mind is blown. I've been flushing tampons my whole life!! I've lived in many different places and I've never stuffed up a toilet from it. I never ever heard that you shouldn't flush an tampon. Is this really a thing? If so, maybe it shouldn't be. All my toilets have handled it just fine for years and years.

Learn how to dispose of tampons here:

https://tampax.com/en-us/you-c.....posal

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 6:13 pm
nchr wrote:
How does that prevent you from needing to change a pad? Also, as the tissue disintegrates blood goes down your legs, up your behind, etc. I wear tampons with a pad since tampons leak, can't imagine using tissues and toilet paper as a first case and not last resort.

I do tissues with a pad, but I fold the tissue and press it against my private part in order to avoid leakage. If blood does get through the tissue, it goes on the pad, but I change it when I get the chance.

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 8:01 pm
amother wrote:
I do tissues with a pad, but I fold the tissue and press it against my private part in order to avoid leakage. If blood does get through the tissue, it goes on the pad, but I change it when I get the chance.

You do this as a last resort or in general?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 7:53 am
Tampons are definitely flushable unless you live in a different country (for example south america) where the plumbing is not able to handle it and you can't even flush toilet paper. Pads are not flushable. Teach her how to use tampons, it's much easier and lasts longer without the odor and dirtiness of pads. She might not have to change it till the end of the day 8 hours later.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:18 am
nchr wrote:
You do this as a last resort or in general?

I do it only for when I'm at work. When I'm home, I just use a regular pad, but I needed a solution for when I'm at work, especially on my heavy days. I'm a teacher so I can't go to the bathroom every half hour to change my pad, and my heavy days are very heavy.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:31 am
Tampons aren't TP. They swell. DO NOT ENCOURAGE HER TO WEAR TAMPONS FOR LONG. Seriously. The teens are the most at risk for the tampon syndrome. NO.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:09 am
delete

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 24 2020, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:11 am
Sure, tampons are technically flushable. However (and it might take a few years), eventually there will be a build up in the pipes (tampons expand in water so get stuck, eventually there will be a big clump of them stuck in your pipes) and you'll have a major sewage back up. Just like "flushable" wipes. Sure, 1 or 2 will go through ok, but if you do it on a regular basis there WILL be a back up at some point.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:13 am
Ruchel wrote:
Tampons aren't TP. They swell. DO NOT ENCOURAGE HER TO WEAR TAMPONS FOR LONG. Seriously. The teens are the most at risk for the tampon syndrome. NO.

My teens only use tampons. No need to fear-monger like this, TSS is RARE. As long as they are responsible and hygenic and know to change often enough, there is no reason for teens not to wear tampons.

And yes, I checked with their pediatrician, and she agreed that it is perfectly fine.

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:06 am
Still, better safe than sorry...

A menstrual cup works as well without the risks.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:18 am
tzimip wrote:
It just doesn't. I put in 3 tissues and I get a pretty heavy period.

You must not have heavy period then.
Tissues? Seriously. Think overnight pads every 1.5 hours or so.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:25 am
imasoftov wrote:
If there is no trash can or receptical in the stall and they won't put one in, flush bemezid.

This!
It was terrible. I'd change a few times a day.
The school had extra wide commercial plumbing (was a commercial building converted into a school) and the sinks were open to the floor hallway. I was NOT gonna dump one in full public veiw. Last time I asked my niece who also went to that school she said there were still no trashcans in the stalls but they put one by the bathrooms before the door to the sink area.

I'd flush my pads and figured, if it clogs - so be it! They'll find pads and maybe get the message. Punch

I often needed to go during class (if we didn't have a break for an hour +) and then I'd sneak into the teachers bathroom. There were shelves with lots of cosmetics bags/personal littke boxes and I just added mind and kept pads there for emergencies. Noone was the wiser. LOL If I got it in middle of the day, I'd sneak in there to change. There they did have a trash can. And I remember deliberating if I should use the can or flush. Lol.

Also, when I had my period, I'd wear a size up panty and stack 3-4 pads one on top of the other with the wings closed and peel off as needed, then flushed. (Keeping a closed one in my tights was too shvitzy and it would show thru my clothing. ) Twisted Evil Punch Hiding
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children