Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
S/O making beds - bed makers happier than non- bed makers
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 2:50 pm
In a survey of 68,000 people by Hunch.com, 59 percent of people don't make their beds. 27 percent do, while 12 percent pay a housekeeper to make it for them. Here's what disturbed me: 71 percent of bed makers consider themselves happy; while 62 percent of non-bed-makers admit to being unhappy.
Make Your Bed, Change Your Life? | Psychology Today

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
In a survey of 68,000 people by Hunch.com, 59 percent of people don't make their beds. 27 percent do, while 12 percent pay a housekeeper to make it for them. Here's what disturbed me: 71 percent of bed makers consider themselves happy; while 62 percent of non-bed-makers admit to being unhappy.
Make Your Bed, Change Your Life? | Psychology Today

Causation vs. Correlation

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:10 pm
Some days I make my bed in the morning. Some days I don’t make my bed at all. And some days I make my bed right before I get in it to go to sleep. I’m the same happy every day.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:18 pm
amother wrote:
Causation vs. Correlation

It really doesn't matter which one it is. I think it is correlation, but making the bed is a start to having a winning day. When you care about your environment, you care about other things.

"Bed makers are also more likely to like their jobs, own a home, exercise regularly, and feel well rested, whereas non-bed-makers hate their jobs, rent apartments, avoid the gym, and wake up tired."

I rather be on the side that is winning and happier.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
It really doesn't matter which one it is. I think it is correlation, but making the bed is a start to having a winning day. When you care about your environment, you care about other things.

"Bed makers are also more likely to like their jobs, own a home, exercise regularly, and feel well rested, whereas non-bed-makers hate their jobs, rent apartments, avoid the gym, and wake up tired."

I rather be on the side that is winning and happier.

I promise you if I start making my bed in the morning I will not get a new job, own a home, start exercising, and feel well rested.

And it does matter. Lets say 100% of the depressed people in this study don't make their beds. Their clinical depression did not come from the fact they didn't make their beds but now the study is quite flawed.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:24 pm
I make my bed on the days my cleaning lady doesn't come. She does a better job then me.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
I promise you if I start making my bed in the morning I will not get a new job, own a home, start exercising, and feel well rested.

And it does matter. Lets say 100% of the depressed people in this study don't make their beds. Their clinical depression did not come from the fact they didn't make their beds but now the study is quite flawed.

I don't make my bed because it was a task I really didn't like as a child. You know when parents say 'you can do it differently when you move out'...

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:32 pm
amother wrote:
I don't make my bed because it was a task I really didn't like as a child. You know when parents say 'you can do it differently when you move out'...

Ha! And I eat shabbos cereal during the week!!!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:

If you have that attitude, nothing is going to help. I once had a friend who was extremely overweight and lived in slum. She is the one who didn't have any advantages. She didn't give up. Her attitude was fake it until you can make it. We were like Laurel and Hardy. She used to copy me which I didn't mind. She ate what I ate and copied my style until she developed her own. There is nothing wrong with modeling your life how you want to live it.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
I make my bed on the days my cleaning lady doesn't come. She does a better job then me.

It doesn't matter how your bed gets made.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:36 pm
amother wrote:
It doesn't matter how your bed gets made.

It doesn't matter to whom? and for what?

People who have someone else to make their bed for them have something to be happy for.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
If you have that attitude, nothing is going to help. I once had a friend who was extremely overweight and lived in slum. She is the one who didn't have any advantages. She didn't give up. Her attitude was fake it until you can make it. We were like Laurel and Hardy. She used to copy me which I didn't mind. She ate what I ate and copied my style until she developed her own. There is nothing wrong with modeling your life how you want to live it.

Huh? I'm very happy thankyouverymuch. I love my job, am 21 don't need to own a home, and am up all night with my baby bh. That was not my point. My point was that making your bed does not CAUSE happiness.

The flip side is similar. A more organized person with a beautiful mansion may have a better job and be happier in life than a slob but the fact that she is making her bed in the morning is not contributing to the happiness.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:40 pm
Surprise! I made my bed and cleaned my house for years and was unhappy. Then I got smarter and let things fly a bit and used the time for things I like. I am way happier now. I guess there's no rule that fits for all.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:00 pm
It absolutely does make a difference whether it's correlation VS causation. If someone is generally in unhappy, it's more likely that not making the bed is a symptom than a cause. Not making your bed is highly unlikely to affect your life circumstances, but it would not be far fetched for life circumstances to affect whether or not you make your bed. FTR, I am proud Non Bed Maker. I have a job I like, own my home, have a generally stable life. I do suffer from depression, usually controlled by medication but sometimes it gets out of hand. Whether I'm going through a tough time or doing well, I never make beds. Just not something on my radar. This has not prevented me from having a generally successful adulthood.

One more thing: perhaps unhappy non bed makers are unhappy because they have to deal with annoying busy body bed makers harping on their life choices. Just a thought.

mum22

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:00 pm
Everyone seems obsessed with self care. Self care is anything that makes you feel good.

Anyone who is honest with themselves will admit making the bed in morning, dusting and tidying up after themselves- in other words self discipline and healthy routines contribute to a sense of well being.
They set you up for a successful day.

Why be lazy about the housekeeping? And kid yourself that it’s fine. You may have jobs, but maybe your honesty and work ethics are less than ideal.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:01 pm
mum22 wrote:
Everyone seems obsessed with self care. Self care is anything that makes you feel good.

Anyone who is honest with themselves will admit making the bed in morning, dusting and tidying up after themselves- in other words self discipline and healthy routines contribute to a sense of well being.

Why be lazy about the housekeeping? And kid yourself that it’s fine. You may have jobs, but maybe your honesty and work ethics are less than ideal.

Do you have a job? Are you suggesting you wouldn't trust me as your lawyer because I don't make my bed?

Not making my bed has ZERO to do with selfcare.

simcha2

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:04 pm
Didn't see the other thread, but I don't make my bed because it grosses me out. If I made it, I'd be unhappier because I'd have a gross bed...

Reality

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:05 pm
mum22 wrote:

Wow! Your last paragraph is really off base! My housekeeping skills have nothing to do with my honesty and work ethic. How rude of you!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:09 pm
I must suffer from multiple personality disorder based on this study. Some beds I make = I'm happy and some I leave unmade = unhappy. My happiness must fluctuate as I walk from room to room within a three minute span.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:13 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Didn't see the other thread, but I don't make my bed because it grosses me out. If I made it, I'd be unhappier because I'd have a gross bed...

No judgment at all just really curious why making your bed grosses you out!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry