Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/O Why is adult FRUM literature awful?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

anon for this

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:34 am
My kids were reading stories from the children's supplements to some frum magazines and noticed significant plagiarism. One story was almost identical to a chapter from a Mrs. Piggle Wiggle book. Another story copied the concept and plot points from Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day", except in that fictional universe it rained it was rain that only happened once every several years instead of sunshine. The kids let the child out of the closet at the last minute just in time for a middah lesson.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:53 am
Not surprised! I remember at least 2 very obviously plagiarized passages in magazine articles, including one that was almost word for word from "Confessions of a Shopoholic"-- you might expect to get away with it from a more obscure 1960s sci-fi book, but a recent best selling chick lit book??
This was in an article about addictive behaviour or compulsive spending, IIRC. The author just changed it to third person and used a frum name for the woman who had supposedly been interviewed by the author.

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:57 am
I suppose the assumption is that they’ll never read the original.

The idea that good books/classics only have sad endings is not correct. George Eliot, Jane Austen, Trollope, Dickens, and Tolstoy tend to have happy or redemptive endings.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:01 am
anon for this wrote:
Another story copied the concept and plot points from Bradbury's "All Summer in a Day" .

Ah yes, the magazine copied Bradbury- as did every other sci fi fiction writer ever.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:02 am
Sequois, true, it only came in vogue with the realism movement. LM Montgomery had lots to say on this, in both her private now published journals, and also through her characters in her novels. (She was a proponent of happy endings.)
I can think of at least 1 frum children's book by a well known Jewish author who took a plot straight out of Dandelion Wine by Bradbury to write a cutesy rhyming picture book.

anon for this

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
Not surprised! I remember at least 2 very obviously plagiarized passages in magazine articles, including one that was almost word for word from "Confessions of a Shopoholic"-- you might expect to get away with it from a more obscure 1960s sci-fi book, but a recent best selling chick lit book??
This was in an article about addictive behaviour or compulsive spending, IIRC. The author just changed it to third person and used a frum name for the woman who had supposedly been interviewed by the author.

Funny, I don't think I've ever read anything by Sophie Kinsella, so I probably wouldn't have recognized it. But "All Summer in a Day" is probably one of Bradbury's most anthologized stories. That's how my kids recognized it. Are editors not catching this stuff, or do they just not care?

anon for this

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
Ah yes, the magazine copied Bradbury- as did every other sci fi fiction writer ever.

Where have you seen science fiction writers flat-out copy the entire plot of a Bradbury story or novel? I'm not talking about writing in his style. I've read a fair amount of science fiction and have never seen it.

trixx

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:52 am
imasoftov wrote:
Until I read the second post, I assumed that mamzer was being used figuratively, not literally. Like he acted very nice before the wedding but that completely changed afterwards ...

Lol no no literally a mamzer (and yes the book used that word if I believe) so he resolved to never get married and perpetuate it. So sad.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 12:08 pm
I think if I give any details about the Bradbury book chapter it will give the book away (very obvious book title). So I better not.

anon for this

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 7:09 pm
amother wrote:
I think if I give any details about the Bradbury book chapter it will give the book away (very obvious book title). So I better not.

I understand. Just to be clear, I wasn't asking you for details. I was asking for gold amother, who maintained that "every science fiction writer ever" copied Bradbury to give cites for this claim. I'm not talking about writing about concepts like faster than light travel or sentient machines or time travel. I'm talking about copying the plot of a well-known short story, not as a parody, and not acknowledging the original source in any way.

In addition to the examples above, I know of a play marketed to Jewish women that copied an episode of a popular comedy.

mommy2379

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 4:42 am
Posted in the "Lets write a frum novel" thread but gonna post here too- Be the change you wish to see in the world! If you're talented and you think you can do it you ( possibly) can!! Mishpacha is running a fiction contest. Lets raise the bar! Submit well written, nuanced, entertaining fiction please! 2,000 to 4,000 words. Fiction@mishpacha.com

WitchKitty

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 9:26 am
watergirl wrote:
- Narrows her eyes at someone.

I was curious about this one, so I did a search in my Kindle.
53 of my books have this phrase. Including most of Harry Potter. Maybe Rowling is frum? Tongue Out

mommy2379

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 9:36 am
I was also surprised by that assertion, I don't think its an exclusively frum thing at all
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room