Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Clifton Cheder/ Bais Yaakov of Clifton
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 4:51 am
What's it like? I heard that the administration just changed, and as changed many times over the years. What's it like now, and why does it keep changing who runs it? What's it like academically? Hashkafically? Do they have resource room? Thanx

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 1:42 pm
Bump

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 4:45 am
Anyone?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 4:58 am
There is a lot of warmth there, and some excellent rebbeim. I don't believe though that's enough to run a school. The turnover/inexperience of the current administration is concerning/a huge red flag. There is very limited support for kids who need a resource room.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:47 am
As of last year there was no resource room. My neighbor switched schools when one of her kids needed that. People do hire private tutors to school but it's a lot more expensive.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 7:10 am
When my child was there years ago, before they closed the girls division, he received services through the school district. Does the cheder no longer offer child study team evaluations and provide services through the local school district?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
When my child was there years ago, before they closed the girls division, he received services through the school district. Does the cheder no longer offer child study team evaluations and provide services through the local school district?

They do, but extremely minimal. Cheder is in Clifton. Clifton is notoriously hard to qualify for services. The Cheder has told people if you need more than the basics, go elsewhere. We have limited resources, and are only able to get minimal BOE services. YBH and YKP will get much more for the same kid.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 7:52 am
amother wrote:
They do, but extremely minimal. Cheder is in Clifton. Clifton is notoriously hard to qualify for services. The Cheder has told people if you need more than the basics, go elsewhere. We have limited resources, and are only able to get minimal BOE services. YBH and YKP will get much more for the same kid.

Thanks for posting. My experience was exactly the opposite, since my child received more services through the Clifton BOE than he did after switching to a Passaic school. I guess I was the exception though.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:34 am
My children also receive necessary services through the Clifton BOE. They really worked with us (the parents) and the administration as well at the Cheder.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
My children also receive necessary services through the Clifton BOE. They really worked with us (the parents) and the administration as well at the Cheder.

When my child was getting services at the Cheder the Clifton BOE didn't do the evaluations themselves, but contracted them out to an agency called Education Services run by someone with initials MW who used to work for the Clifton BOE. Is that still true?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 5:17 pm
Where do the boys go for mesivta from there? Where will the girls go for high school from there? Thanx.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 5:19 pm
I just heard that this year they do have a resource room. Does anyone have any experience there this year? Thanx

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 7:34 pm
The Cheder has the obvious advantages and disadvantages of a small school. They do not have support staff like other yeshivos (social worker, full time nurse, resource team) but the teachers, on the whole, are loving and give of their time to the students. If your child can be helped with extra attention from the regular teacher the Cheder might work for your family.
The principal is exceptionally kind and seeks out interactions with parents and students.
The hashkafa in theory is like yeshiva ketana but in practice the parent body is not the same so the school is not the same.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 7:38 pm
How is the parent body different from YKP? How's the Bais Yaakov of Clifton different now thad they have a new principal? And learning center? Resource room?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 7:21 am
The parent body is generally a bit to the left/less mainstream of YKP. The fact that so few of the rebbeim and teachers have their kids in the school should give you a bit of an idea. Even the principal doesn't have his kids there.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
The parent body is generally a bit to the left/less mainstream of YKP. The fact that so few of the rebbeim and teachers have their kids in the school should give you a bit of an idea. Even the principal doesn't have his kids there.

This actually is not true!
The principal and local rebbeim do sent their kids.
HAshakafically - the school is rw.
It does not focus on petty externals and is far more accepting and tolerant while still upholding the right wing view.
Parent body are authentic frum jews of all kinds and have in common their authenticity , commutment to growing as Jews and disregard of materialism and shtus that unfortunately seem to get in the way at other frum institutions.
Go visit. The energy is palpable.
You get what you see

Its the real deal
And nothing is perfect -

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
This actually is not true!
The principal and local rebbeim do sent their kids.
HAshakafically - the school is rw.
It does not focus on petty externals and is far more accepting and tolerant while still upholding the right wing view.
Parent body are authentic frum jews of all kinds and have in common their authenticity , commutment to growing as Jews and disregard of materialism and shtus that unfortunately seem to get in the way at other frum institutions.
Go visit. The energy is palpable.
You get what you see

Its the real deal
And nothing is perfect -

I have a kid there.

I'm quite aware that SOME of the staff have their kids there, but it is not typical. No one is saying they are lacking in frumkeit/hashkafa, but to say that the mainstream Lakewood type of rebbeim send their kids to the Cheder would be an outright lie. I don't want to speak loshon hora, so I'm choosing my words very carefully. While the school does have what to offer many kids, please do not pretend the school is what it's not.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
I have a kid there.

I'm quite aware that SOME of the staff have their kids there, but it is not typical. No one is saying they are lacking in frumkeit/hashkafa, but to say that the mainstream Lakewood type of rebbeim send their kids to the Cheder would be an outright lie. I don't want to speak loshon hora, so I'm choosing my words very carefully. While the school does have what to offer many kids, please do not pretend the school is what it's not.

Im not sure what you heard me say that is not true
I send my kids there too.
The principal sends his kids there.- at least the younger ones As far as I know the rebbeim who live locally send their kids there
In no way would I , or did I, imply that it is a mainstream school or lakewood style in any way.
It does present Torah values but it doesn’t have the nourishkeit a lot of other ( most ) Rw schools unfortunately have.
Thats why I chose it.
If you particularly want the typical yeshivish school and all it entails then its not for you.
For those interested- a visit will tell you what it is about. You see what you get.

I appreciate that my kids love school. Among many other things.

I’m still wondering what in my earlier post you found a lie.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
Im not sure what you heard me say that is not true
I send my kids there too.
The principal sends his kids there.- at least the younger ones As far as I know the rebbeim who live locally send their kids there
In no way would I , or did I, imply that it is a mainstream school or lakewood style in any way.
It does present Torah values but it doesn’t have the nourishkeit a lot of other ( most ) Rw schools unfortunately have.
Thats why I chose it.
If you particularly want the typical yeshivish school and all it entails then its not for you.
For those interested- a visit will tell you what it is about. You see what you get.

I appreciate that my kids love school. Among many other things.

I’m still wondering what in my earlier post you found a lie.

Looking through the list there is at least one local Rebbe and 4 local teachers who send to YKP in addition to the girls principal. I don't know all the Rebbeim and teachers so there may be more.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 6:29 pm
Would you say it is more similar to YBH?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics