Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Child crying that he does not want to go to school.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:15 pm
I enrolled my son in contained classroom for this year. He only recently started working with his bcba. Ever since then he has been giving a hard time about going to school. Now I put him to bed and like 20 min later he was crying. I went in to see what was wrong. I asked if anything is bothering him and he said he doesn't want to go to school. What do I do about this.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:18 pm
I would call both the teacher and the bcba to find out what's been going on and find out the source of his distress

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:24 pm
Did he give you any further details as to why.... I agree with the amother above, speak with the teachers, but also really listen to your son. When ds was in Kindergarten she complained almost every day of a stomach ache or not feeling well. It finally , half way through the year, occurred to me she did not like school. It seems the teachers thought everything was fine, but in reality there was girls who were not so nice....and one of the teachers wasn't so pleasant either.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:04 pm
Speak to the BCBA. Could be the approach is too much for him.

mha3484

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:10 pm
I agree some families find that ABA therapy increases anxiety. Usually school refusal is an anxiety symptom.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:26 pm
I have a meeting scheduled tomorrow with the bcba in regards to the difficulty that he is giving with going to school. I will bring up that he is crying and stating that he does not want to go. I also sent an email tothe director telling her the problems. I can't have him this unhappy.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
I have a meeting scheduled tomorrow with the bcba in regards to the difficulty that he is giving with going to school. I will bring up that he is crying and stating that he does not want to go. I also sent an email tothe director telling her the problems. I can't have him this unhappy.

Sounds good. I would also try to speak to the classroom teacher. Sometimes issues xan be solved with scheduleing. If the bcba has begun pulling him out to work during a favorite activity, or if the pull-out is messing with his feeling of routine or the flow of his day, adjustments might be able to be made.

Also, sometimes a behaviorist (or therapist or teacher, etc) has a style that can be difficult for some kids, and nobody will tell you that on the record, but a teacher or other staff member will tell you on the phone or quietly. If so, you can make appropriate related requests.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers