Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I want to do chesed

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:51 pm
But am somewhat limited. I b"H have small children, so I can't be out at night (and I work during the day).
I am shy so I don't do that well with strangers.
I live in Lakewood, and in my neighborhood I don't know of any people who need places to be for shabbos meals.
Any ideas?

oneofakind

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:53 pm
Host bochurim for meals? Send food to neighbors who had babies or could use help? Rest so you can do chesed with your own children.

sub

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 9:54 pm
Call any organization and ask how you can be of help from home. Perhaps you can make phone calls or prepare mailing lists for them. Before purim you can put together baskets.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 10:00 pm
In my area we cook for chai life line. There are what app chats and someone posts what is needed and then people volunteer to make the food and drop it off by one person who then distributes it. It so nice to see so many ladies help out. And even super busy people have time to make an extra pan of chicken or challah, soup, cake etc

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 7:33 am
Goldenrod I was thinking of something along those lines. How can I find out if there's something like that in my area?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 7:40 am
We do the same here. Also for Shiva houses. So if your having a busy week you don't need to offer but on the weeks you can you just write what you can manage to make. May it only be for simchas though.
Maybe ask through the shul or shuls to see who organises. Or ask someone who's lived in the area a long while.

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:39 am
OP mentioned she has little kids which can make sending supper a bit difficult. I try to text a new mother when I am out on errands to see if I can pick anything up for them.
A neighbor and close friend had a baby and had a 15 month old on top of that. That first Shabbos morning, (she was making a Kiddush in her house) I knocked on her door at 8:00 and offered to take her 15 month old for the morning. I was watching my own anyhow and it was the biggest help I could have done for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics