Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
How much do u give?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:03 am
For chanukah gelt fir your little kids. Older kids and married kids?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:36 am
none Smile
my mother decided to give us this year- think this is the first time in my almost 10 years of marriage. We don't stand on ceremony in my family Wink

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:39 am
The kids usually ask for gifts.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:44 am
We're not huge gift-givers. For little kids, they get one present from parents, and grandparents give them gelt to give to tzedaka (plus a gift). For big kids/adults, they mostly want gift cards, which is what they get, plus tzedaka gelt from grandparents. The amounts vary, and there's no standard that all families must follow. Give what suits your means and preference.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:45 am
I give gifts for my kids. They get money from their grandparents.
My parents and in laws usually give us around $500 each.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:57 am
Parents buy us presents. I give my kids presents. In laws buy one family present and give us like 50 dollars or so. I think my parents gave us $200 but I don't know if it was because I made the entire party myself or it was Chanukah gelt....

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 6:23 am
I didn't get anything growing up, but when we, my siblings and I, my parents gave each grandchild (I don't know until what age) $1 a night, so $8. Times how many granchildren bh a pretty penny. Since I moved away from them, that's what I give. I have an envelope for each of my children for their dollars. Pesos that they get, they hold. Each chanukah, I write on the outside $8 and one day I put it in Smile . I don't usually have dollars on me. This year I asked two of my children if they would rather me write $8 on the envelope or give them $8pesos now. Smartly, they said the dollars. $1 peso is worth less than a dollar now.

Also my father increased the gelt to $9 because of the shamash. It's not the amount, it's the giving. Bh my children lack for nothing for the most part and they always get gifts and money here and there for different things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics