Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Can you please help me with Boston questions?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 12:49 am
Iy'H we have an appt upcoming in Boston. Only available appt. is Friday. so we did get the first appointment of the day but with shabbos starting so early I doubt we will make it back to NY for shabbos.
So, if I need to stay for the weekend- I might as well do some touring of the area & turn it into some vacation...
What is interesting in or around Boston & are we better off heading somewhere midpoint to NY for shabbos- say somewhere in Connecticut?

Bear in mind though that we will be traveling with a baby (& lots of equipment) & we will rely on cabs.

Any ideas?

Eta: my husband will definitely want to visit a zoo! The bigger the animals the zoo hosts the better! don't know though with the winter & which zoo between Boston & NY is the best to visit?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 12:59 am
amother wrote:
Iy'H we have an appt upcoming in Boston. Only available appt. is Friday. so we did get the first appointment of the day but with shabbos starting so early I doubt we will make it back to NY for shabbos.
So, if I need to stay for the weekend- I might as well do some touring of the area & turn it into some vacation...
What is interesting in or around Boston & are we better off heading somewhere midpoint to NY for shabbos- say somewhere in Connecticut?

Bear in mind though that we will be traveling with a baby (& lots of equipment) & we will rely on cabs.

Any ideas?

Welcome! Boston is a really sweet place to spend Shabbos. I would think it’s easier to to the trip back in one shot motzei Shabbos and don’t know what’s available in Connecticut but probably not more than what we have here.

The bostener shul has a list on their website of hotels that are nearby to them and have Shabbos keys etc. if u call rofe they may be able to arrange for Shabbos meals for u as well.

There is plenty of kosher food but everything is closed by 2 so ur probably better off bringing it with you.

Uber is widely popular and very reasonable here if u have smartphone I would recommend using that.

There are nice views all over the city, not sure how much time to tour u will actually have?

If u stay for Sunday a brunch on Harvard street and checking out the kosher scene can be fun.

I think imasinger is a Boston local (I just moved here a bit ago and don’t know it well) who might be able to help more.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 1:05 am
Thanks hotpink! I will contact Rofeh iy'H. our appointment is still over a month away but I might as well start planning the itinerary Smile.
Depending on the childcare arrangements we will have for our other kids & the amount of things we'll want to do on our 'vacation'- we might stay for Sunday.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 1:07 am
Hotpink- how far of a drive is the main childrens hospital from the frum Boston section?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 1:45 am
amother wrote:
Hotpink- how far of a drive is the main childrens hospital from the frum Boston section?

Super close. (Think 15 min range)

Let me know if u have any other questions:)

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 11:03 am
Boston is a great family-friendly and Jewish city, and also better than anything midway back to NYC (not to mention that the appt. can run late and you may be pressed for time). Boston can be cold in the winter, so the zoo might not be much fun.

The Children's Museum and Science Museum are both excellent, as is the Boston Tea Party ship reenactment right next to the Children's Museum. Duck Boat tours are lots of fun (if they run in the winter?). You can also tour Fenway if you're into sports.

Harvard Street has most of the kosher restaurants, and the Holiday Inn and new Marriott at Boston College are near several shuls. The mass transit system there (T subway and buses) is great and cheap for getting around.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 11:25 am
Former Bostonian here!

Head to Brookline or my hometown of Newton for the actual hours of Shabbos.

Since hubby likes zoos but Boston is miserably cold at this time of the year, go to the New England Aquarium https://www.neaq.org/ as it's indoors. They are open on Sundays from 9 am to 6 pm. I would recommend getting there early as it's worth your while to spend the entire day there. Fridays they close at 5 pm but sundown is well before that time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics