Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Acne help

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:59 am
My almost 10 year old has acne that's just started. I started her on facial wipes that my doctor recommended I found some that were more milder. I feel like she really needs a face wash but I'm nervous to use something that's too harsh for her. As someone who had acne growing up and still gets breakouts as an adult I know some of these washes can really sting your face and I don't think that would be good for her. I also don't want her walking around with a face full of pimples.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:19 am
I would suggest that you take your daughter to a Manhattan dermatologist for a consultation. He/she will help you figure out the best skin care routine and will help you manage the problem if it persists or spikes, which often happens when kids hit adolescence. I struggled with acne for many years and I honestly think that's the best route to take. You wouldn't believe how much is available today in terms of treatment.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:44 am
I couldn't agree more with amother who posted above.

Take her to the best dermatologist you can for an initial consult and then follow his or her advice. As was posted, there is so much that is now available to effectively treat acne and a doctor will know exactly what to use so that skin is not damaged.

I also had severe acne that persisted into adulthood and it is emotionally as well as physically scarring. Even though I had two dermabrasion procedures done (by a plastic surgeon not a light cosmetic type), I still have significant pitting on my face.

My mother tried to be on top of it but science just wasn't as knowledgable when I was a teenager and by the time I was an adult and there were actually significant cures, it was too late because damage had been done.

In the interim, over the counter topical ointments with benzoyl peroxide do really work and here's a good overview of what is available over the counter while you wait for an appointment.

https://www.allure.com/gallery.....guide

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 11:45 am
At ten years old I would not use any chemicals or harsh cleansers, just some mild soap and water and she should wipe her face only with disposable paper towels. Many products can ruin the skin forever and at this age her skin might still change with puberty.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
You wouldn't believe how much is available today in terms of treatment.

I was wondering the same thing. I took my 11 year old to two dermatologists they both said benzol peroxide and salicyilic acid. That is the same stuff that I used as a kid. I was hoping they had something that works better these days. Does anyone have anything better to reccomend?

hotpretzel

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:52 pm
This is the face wash my dermatologist recommends
https://www.target.com/p/neutr.....96695
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children