Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pads / periods in school
Previous  1  2  3  4

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 7:55 am
sequoia wrote:
Still, better safe than sorry...

A menstrual cup works as well without the risks.

There's a whole host of things we could rule out if I went with that.

Your feet work quite well, but my teen wants to get her driver's license.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:00 am
tzimip wrote:
It just doesn't. I put in 3 tissues and I get a pretty heavy period.

I'm thinking you don't know what a heavy period is.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:02 am
amother wrote:
My mind is blown. I've been flushing tampons my whole life!! I've lived in many different places and I've never stuffed up a toilet from it. I never ever heard that you shouldn't flush an tampon. Is this really a thing? If so, maybe it shouldn't be. All my toilets have handled it just fine for years and years.

American toilets are notoriously weak. In the 20 years I lived in Australia I probably saw five stuffed toilets max. Moved to America and discovered it's just a normal part of life here. Bizarre.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:06 am
I cannot for the life of me understand why adults use pads. It's like sitting in a bloody diaper. So much grosser than tampons, no matter how many times u change them.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 9:55 am
Chayalle wrote:
My teens only use tampons. No need to fear-monger like this, TSS is RARE. As long as they are responsible and hygenic and know to change often enough, there is no reason for teens not to wear tampons.

And yes, I checked with their pediatrician, and she agreed that it is perfectly fine.

I went to public school. There was "relations" ed. Tampons were deifnitely no laughing matter. Better safe than sorry. You don't stay with one tampon for long hours as an amother recommanded just no.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
Tampons are definitely flushable unless you live in a different country (for example south america) where the plumbing is not able to handle it and you can't even flush toilet paper. Pads are not flushable. Teach her how to use tampons, it's much easier and lasts longer without the odor and dirtiness of pads. She might not have to change it till the end of the day 8 hours later.

I'm sorry but you're wrong. Plumbing systems all over the world are backing up, in the plumbing plants--places like NYC!--from things like tampons and so-called flushable wipes. They're not biodegradeable!

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
I do it only for when I'm at work. When I'm home, I just use a regular pad, but I needed a solution for when I'm at work, especially on my heavy days. I'm a teacher so I can't go to the bathroom every half hour to change my pad, and my heavy days are very heavy.

Why don’t you just use tampons?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 11:56 am
nchr wrote:
Learn how to dispose of tampons here:

https://tampax.com/en-us/you-c.....posal

Thanks for the link. It says tampons are not "ideal" for flushing. Sounds like they had some legal issue with saying it's fine. I guess some toilets can't take it. Anyways this is news to me...live and learn!

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
American toilets are notoriously weak. In the 20 years I lived in Australia I probably saw five stuffed toilets max. Moved to America and discovered it's just a normal part of life here. Bizarre.

Interesting. I've been in Israel for the past 18 years. And 15 years in the same apartment. And I never had a problem. I guess Israeli toilets are tougher than American ones!

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the link. It says tampons are not "ideal" for flushing. Sounds like they had some legal issue with saying it's fine. I guess some toilets can't take it. Anyways this is news to me...live and learn!

It's not even the toilets and personal plumbing being an issue (although this is true too), but the sewer systems and wastewater treatment plants....

tzimip

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 3:53 pm
tzimip wrote:
It just doesn't. I put in 3 tissues and I get a pretty heavy period.

I'm thinking you don't know what a heavy period is.

I'm thinking I do. I have the copper IUD and trust me I know. But why would it bother you that it works for me? You don't have to do it. I was just giving my take.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:11 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I'm sorry but you're wrong. Plumbing systems all over the world are backing up, in the plumbing plants--places like NYC!--from things like tampons and so-called flushable wipes. They're not biodegradeable!
Wipes are not flushable even if they say they are but tampons are as far as I know. eta I'm wrong. When I started using them years ago, I'm pretty sure the box said to flush them. Now it looks like manufacturers recommend throwing them out.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
Wipes are not flushable even if they say they are but tampons are as far as I know. eta I'm wrong. When I started using them years ago, I'm pretty sure the box said to flush them. Now it looks like manufacturers recommend throwing them out.

The box no longer says they’re flushable. Doesn’t even say the wrappers are flushable.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:22 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
The box no longer says they’re flushable. Doesn’t even say the wrappers are flushable.
I never flushed wrappers, but the tempon itself I always used to flush. I guess I have to change. thank you for pointing this out.

marina

Post Thu, Dec 06 2018, 8:26 pm
I recommend the Thinx underwear to use w tampon or alone for light flow days. Much easier for teens than diva cup etc.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children