Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What's appropriate to wear to a school maleve malka?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 6:46 pm
So I'm going to one and I'm not sure what to wear. Shabbos clothes? Or nice weekday clothes?

I'll want to have a shower before going, so getting back into Shabbos clothes seems weird. But I know that at home you're not supposed to change out of Shabbos clothes until you've had maleve malka.

How do you think most people will be dressed?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 6:48 pm
How people will dress? that depends on the community. Could go from jeans skirts to fancy suits.

shlumzmum

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 6:58 pm
I recently went to a melave demalke and everyone was wearing shabbes clothes, make up, not real fancy suits, more like twin sets or sporty shabbes suits

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 7:15 pm
OP, what do they do in your community. In mine, shabbes or not it's jeans and that kind of "level" of dress. So I know I absolutely can't dress up because it's ridiculous. I think dressing up too much is worse than dressing down if you are clean and put together. But only YOU know what generally goes around you!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 7:20 pm
DON'T WEAR DENIM !!!!!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 7:25 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
DON'T WEAR DENIM !!!!!

even if all do?
I don't like to stand out and there is nothing wrong with denim.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 8:16 pm
I agree with chocolate moose, regardless of whatever anyone is doing.
denim on motzei and to a melave malke is not appropriate.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 8:25 pm
I am not often in denim, but I don't see the problem. Not to mention people dress the same all the time, I cannot see differences between their shabbes clothes (do they even have them) and week clothes, sometimes also simcha clothes unless they are close family.

Maya

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 8:25 pm
My school is also hosting a melava malka this motzai shabbos, and I think the appropriate dress would be a sporty shabbos / nice weekday outfit. Definitely not regular shabbos'dik, though.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:17 pm
Ruchel wrote:
even if all do?

Many schools either have a no denim policy, or say that denim is for casual gatherings like a park visit, certainly not a melave malka.

Ruchel wrote:
there is nothing wrong with denim.

Not everyone holds that way.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:20 pm
Quote:
Many schools either have a no denim policy, or say that denim is for casual gatherings like a park visit, certainly not a melave malka.

of course if there is a rule then you shouldn't wear it
I personally didn't hear of schools banning denim. But many yeshivos for after hs graduation (university age bochurim) banned non black jeans.

Quote:

Not everyone holds that way.

of course if your community banned it, then again it shouldn't be worn. That's why I asked OP what they wear generally.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:36 pm
Okay, a sweater set and skirt it is! Thanks for the advice, I'm really clueless about clothes so it's GREAT to have this forum. Very Happy

(Rochel, I live in a pretty mainstream yeshivishe community, so we don't really wear much denim, but if I lived in France and everyone was doing it, I totally would, it's so comfy and easy to care for.)

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:39 pm
Bu denim isn't dressy. You wear denim to push the carriage to the park, and do your errands. Not to be served a meal and socialize. And maybe have your picture taken.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:43 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Bu denim isn't dressy. You wear denim to push the carriage to the park, and do your errands. Not to be served a meal and socialize. And maybe have your picture taken.

The 2 last bar mitzvos I went to, I saw many young girls and women in denim. At my wedding there were people in jeans skirts/pants. I wore a jeans skirt to some shidduch dates. It is done.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:45 pm
I have some dressy denim outfits, with nice shoes and accessories to match, but they're not dressy enough for a simcha.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 9:49 pm
I have seen on OS, in America many people wear gowns to weddings or have their make up done professionally when they are not the kalla. Here not, it is very unusual. I suppose that means we dress up less, which makes denim acceptable here but not in America?
I also see people in sneakers at weddings, which I personally would avoid unless pregnant or something. I see flip flops too. Soon I'll see crocs, I bet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette