Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Melania Trump not tznius at chanukah party
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 10:31 am
pause wrote:
Is she the Bubby standing behind Trump during his speech? At one point he turns around and a regal looking woman becomes visible.

She is one of the bubbyss near trump.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 10:32 am
ahuva06 wrote:
This made me laugh 😂

It was supposed to be funny 😜

nylon

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 11:56 am
I'm firmly not a fan of the Trumps, but I couldn't care less about whether or not her dress is modest unless it's in a shul. It wasn't.

nchr

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 12:01 pm
She looks perfectly fine and is modest enough. Also, I doubt she picks her own clothing. I would have liked to have seen a little jewelry though.

Chaya123

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 12:08 pm
malky800 wrote:
Am I the only person perturbed that Melania Trump was wearing a low shoulder dress at the lighting of the menorah at the white house?
The other people in the photo, and the person lighting the menorah looked Frum. It wasn't like a reform event.
Did someone forget to tell her what was proper dress?

Just watched it and yes, I too am bothered at her dress. At a Jewish religious event, which they respect, where Rabbis are in attendance, she could've dressed a little less provocative.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 1:00 pm
I was expecting something more (or less). In the secular world, that would be considered a fairly modest cocktail dress appropriate for the occasion. There was no cleavage showing and most people who are secular don't consider shoulders or necks to have the same kind of provocative look as breasts or pupiks:_).

FWIW, Ivanka is purportedly an Orthodox Jew and THIS is what she posted to Instagram for her holiday photo. Again, in the secular world, it's not an ultra-provocative dress for a cocktail party but IMHO is far s*exier than what Melania wore.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 1:07 pm
I thought she seemed fine. Don't be a muck raker op. There's no muck to rake here

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 1:23 pm
Amarante wrote:
I was expecting something more (or less). In the secular world, that would be considered a fairly modest cocktail dress appropriate for the occasion. There was no cleavage showing and most people who are secular don't consider shoulders or necks to have the same kind of provocative look as breasts or pupiks:_).

FWIW, Ivanka is purportedly an Orthodox Jew and THIS is what she posted to Instagram for her holiday photo. Again, in the secular world, it's not an ultra-provocative dress for a cocktail party but IMHO is far s*exier than what Melania wore.

Ivankas picture looks like it’s her family lighting at home, in fact I think they’re all wearing pajamas.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 1:59 pm
malky800 wrote:
Am I the only person perturbed that Melania Trump was wearing a low shoulder dress at the lighting of the menorah at the white house?
The other people in the photo, and the person lighting the menorah looked Frum. It wasn't like a reform event.

She is not Jewish and isn’t required to dress tsniusdig, and it would be an insult to the First Lady to tell her what to wear.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 2:15 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Ivankas picture looks like it’s her family lighting at home, in fact I think they’re all wearing pajamas.

I am not understanding why it is okay to post a picture dressed in a way that is not appropriate to be seen in a non private setting. If you wouldn’t dress like that in public, how can you post a picture dressed in that manner.

FWIW, I honestly don’t care how other people dress but it’s a bit ridiculous to bring up Melania who is dressed modestly and appropriately by society’s standards and defend Ivanka who as a purported Orthodox Jew is theoretically supposed to have a more tzunika dress code in public.

ETA If it was a pajama party she could have worn lovely modest pajamas or a beautiful robe instead of a black revealing slip or very revealing lingerie.

nomismommy

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 2:36 pm
Chaya123 wrote:
Just watched it and yes, I too am bothered at her dress. At a Jewish religious event, which they respect, where Rabbis are in attendance, she could've dressed a little less provocative.

PROVOCATIVE? Do you live on the moon?! In what world is that dress provocative? My goodness I see more provocative clothes every time I leave the house.

cm

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 2:46 pm
The First Lady's dress was completely appropriate. If the rabbi who officiated at the menorah-lighting had guidelines for her to follow, they would have been communicated to her in advance. It's not up to us to be offended on someone else's behalf, if there isn't anything to be offended about.

jkl

Post Fri, Dec 07 2018, 3:06 pm
malky800 wrote:

I don't understand. If she were for some reason to attend a Muslim event, would she be expected to don a hijab?

Tznius is for Jews, hijabs is for Muslim, and modest attire is for Gentiles. And Melania followed that to a tee - Modest attire in the world is defined as no cleavage, no baring the waist, skirts / pants reaching close to the knee & a decent pair of shoes. Shoulders is a non-entity.

*edited for typo

Zeleze

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:47 am
btdivorcedmom wrote:
Melania Trump is not Jewish, and therefore is not obligated to keep the mitzvah of tznius.

I also think so, even though she should really wear accordingly if it's a Jewish event. somthing that is not to Untsnua.

I think Ivanka Is the real problem, she says she is Jewish, or at least the media says so, and Tznius by here is just out the window.

When was also your last time seeing Jared with a Kippa, or even lighting the Menorah ?

His photo's are all over the place and bever any sign of being jewish really.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:47 pm
Gosh I thought this was going to be satire or something. Really OP? Why would a non-Jewish, FIRST LADY dress tzanua? And why it would affect you enough to actually open a thread on it is beyond me. You do realize the White House Chanukah party is not the Belzer Tish or something, right?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:04 pm
I had to go look up a picture of this dress. It is so TAME! Can't you people find something else to clutch your pearls about?

WastingTime

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I had to go look up a picture of this dress. It is so TAME! Can't you people find something else to clutch your pearls about?

OMG just checked too, you can basically wear that to shul!!
Fake news!

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:40 pm
WastingTime wrote:
OMG just checked too, you can basically wear that to shul!!
Fake news!

You wear off the shoulder dresses to shul?

I really don't care what Melania wears, except when its deliberately offensive (the "I really don't care do you" jacket or the pith helmet) or ridiculous (the monstrosity she wore to meet the Pope).

In this case, it was a very strange choice for winter and for the occasion. But I find many of her clothing choices to be strange and inappropriate for the occasion.

Its also amusing to hear the utter silence of the conservative media on Melania completely baring her shoulders, given their repeated attacks on Michelle Obama for wearing sleeveless dresses.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:03 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
You wear off the shoulder dresses to shul?

I really don't care what Melania wears, except when its deliberately offensive (the "I really don't care do you" jacket or the pith helmet) or ridiculous (the monstrosity she wore to meet the Pope).

In this case, it was a very strange choice for winter and for the occasion. But I find many of her clothing choices to be strange and inappropriate for the occasion.

Its also amusing to hear the utter silence of the conservative media on Melania completely baring her shoulders, given their repeated attacks on Michelle Obama for wearing sleeveless dresses.

I rarely go to shul but in the MO shul I grew up, although women wouldn't wear that, it would almost be passable. My point was I definitely think the OP is making a big deal of something that isn't.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:04 pm
Michelle Obama wore something that appears right-wing tzniusdig in 2016, short sleeves in 2015, a sleeveless v-neck in 2014, etc.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics