Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Thinking of offering a service; what are your thoughts?
Previous  1  2  3  4

farm

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:30 pm
Here's what would make me hesitate to go into this line of business:
Food regulations (for example, you mentioned glass bottles without considering sterilization). There must be many legal hoops to jump through before you can start selling things out of your own kitchen.
Hechsher. Once you are trying to sell to people outside your immediate circle, why would they trust your kashrus and ingredients claims?
Accounting and legal fees of the business, like claiming and paying taxes.
Concern with customers getting sick from the product and legal ramifications (getting sued...)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 04 2018, 11:38 pm
farm wrote:
Here's what would make me hesitate to go into this line of business:
Food regulations (for example, you mentioned glass bottles without considering sterilization). There must be many legal hoops to jump through before you can start selling things out of your own kitchen.
Hechsher. Once you are trying to sell to people outside your immediate circle, why would they trust your kashrus and ingredients claims?
Accounting and legal fees of the business, like claiming and paying taxes.
Concern with customers getting sick from the product and legal ramifications (getting sued...)

Yes you couldn't do this legally, in Brooklyn, from your home kitchen.... unless of course you were gifting the product and hopeful for unrelated tzdaka to come your way. (there is your loophole).

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 12:33 am
amother wrote:
Yes you couldn't do this legally, in Brooklyn, from your home kitchen.... unless of course you were gifting the product and hopeful for unrelated tzdaka to come your way. (there is your loophole).

A lot of these home businesses don't do this strictly legal. I know of a sushi business, a catering business, GF baked goods business, cut fruit bowls business all run out of homes without health department supervision.

I am not suggesting OP do this, but that might be what she is already thinking of.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 1:00 am
My sister used to sell "bonus 7" organic nut and train mix.
She had a hechsher and printed plastic containers.
Hechsher wasn't hard to get. They'd call and came by to follow up/check on the ingredients w the companies she ordered from. As long as she ordered the exact same thing it was fine. Not so hard.

Op go for it! Sounds like something my mother would buy.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 1:06 am
amother wrote:
A lot of these home businesses don't do this strictly legal. I know of a sushi business, a catering business, GF baked goods business, cut fruit bowls business all run out of homes without health department supervision.

I am not suggesting OP do this, but that might be what she is already thinking of.

I know - just was responding the several comments about legal compliance.

some people are more conservative than others with these matters.

A_Mother_First

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 1:13 am
It sounds like you have a talent for this and enjoy the process of making the milk. That's great. However, not to discourage you, but just to be practical -- there are so many different dairy free milk options in the stores and onine, and that I would hate to see you invest time and money and then be disappointed. Having said that, the options for Pesach are scarce. Maybe consider focusing on making nut milk and cheese and / or dairy-free / pareve deserts for Pesach? I could see a bigger demand for that. Best of luck!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 1:15 am
amother wrote:
My sister used to sell "bonus 7" organic nut and train mix.
She had a hechsher and printed plastic containers.
Hechsher wasn't hard to get. They'd call and came by to follow up/check on the ingredients w the companies she ordered from. As long as she ordered the exact same thing it was fine. Not so hard.

Op go for it! Sounds like something my mother would buy.

That probably depends on who you get your hechsher from. When I looked into it, I would have had to give my key to the rav and agree that he could come into my home at any time without warning.

We ended up using a different facility and he did indeed pop in frequently to check that all was as it should be.

sirel

Post Fri, Oct 05 2018, 2:39 am
OP-

1) Stop marketing it and/or looking at it as a tzedaka. This is a business.

2) There is a large and growing market for organic, all natural foods. I think this idea has a lot of potential.

3) glass bottles are expensive and will probably cost more than the milk itself. Would you compromise on any other sort of packaging? or figure out a way to have people return the bottles to you for sterilizing and reusing?

4) Advertising. Are you on any community email lists or whatsapp groups? that would be the place to start.

Since you say it lasts for 3 days, offering a twice a week pickup or delivery would be perfect.

Always offer two size options Smile with the larger one costing you only slightly more, but the price can easily be 25-40% higher than the smaller one.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Elmhurst-Milked-Unsweetened-Almond-Milk/dp/B078WX942B

This is the product im talking about. Ingredients are almonds and water and wesley kosher in monsey started selling it recently for 4.38 for 32 oz

I was so disappointed when my Milked Almonds arrived and the ingredients listed cane sugar as the second ingredient. Sad I guess the supermarket didn't send me the unsweeteneded version. It also has natural flavors and salt. I was hoping for just almonds and water.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics