Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Crockpot soup for shabbat

ruby slippers

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 7:05 pm
The past two weeks I have tried to make soup in crockpot- both weeks they have come ouit tasting burnt, even thought they weren't. They also looked like dirty dish water....
I used those soup tubes and plopped it all in the pot just before shabbat.
Any suggestions???

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 7:07 pm
Anything that cooks so long ends up tasting like cholent. That's my personal opinion.

As an aside, what temperature did you set the crockpot to?

If you want to try again, rutabaga has some recipes.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....53380

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 7:18 pm
The only slow cook I’ve ever used successfully is instant pot slow cook mode.

cm

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 7:34 pm
I make crock pot soup almost every week, but I don't know what a soup tube is. The key to making food not taste over-cooked is using a programmable pot that switches to keep-warm mode after a certain amount of time.

Chickpea

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 7:34 pm
I made soup in the crockpot last week for the very first time and it actually came out really good... my family loved it. It was split pea barley soup. I used a magic mill slow cooker. I cooked it on high for 2 1/2 hours then set it to the warm setting right before Shabbos. I made sure that I stirred it frequently during the 2 1/2 hours of cooking. I didn't use a soup mix.

imabima

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 8:36 pm
I think the thick soups (like mushroom barley) are much better than the brothy soups in the Crock-Pot.

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:06 pm
I started it right before shabbat- threw everything in to the pot and had it set on low the whole time. maybe I need to cook at high earlier in the day- or cook on the stove and then transfer to the crockpot.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:10 pm
I don't know about tubes of soup, but I make fresh chicken soup in the crock pot for shabbos often. It gets very dark in color by shabbos day (looks closer to a beef broth) but tastes delicious and not at all burnt.

smileforamile

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:26 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I don't know about tubes of soup, but I make fresh chicken soup in the crock pot for shabbos often. It gets very dark in color by shabbos day (looks closer to a beef broth) but tastes delicious and not at all burnt.

Can you give me your recipe? How do you set it? When do you put it up?

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 9:47 pm
eema1 wrote:
I started it right before shabbat- threw everything in to the pot and had it set on low the whole time. maybe I need to cook at high earlier in the day- or cook on the stove and then transfer to the crockpot.

I think that's your problem: setting it on low.

I once put my chicken soup on a low flame before it boiled (in a regular stainless steel pot on the stove) and then went away for a few hours. The soup was cooked, no question about that, but it was just like you described: looked like dirty dish water and tasted gross.

I think you have to let it cook at a good boil for a while before turning it down.

chulentalakiddush

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 8:18 am
add more water than you would for a regular soup. I make a mushroom barley soup from busy in Brooklyn sometimes (and it's delicious) and for shabbos lunch it says to use 12 cups of water vs. 10 if you're leaving it for 6 hours

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 20 2018, 9:50 am
If you like the taste of slow cooked soup, here is what I do. I cook my chicken soup on a tiny flame for at least 8 hours (I personally do it Thursday night-overnight but whatever works for you.) It gets that taste, without you having to play around with the crockpot
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus