Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Best Blender Type Appliance or Juicer

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 10:22 am
What would people say was best investment you made that you still use to make healthier foods and what exactly do you use it for??
High Speed Blender? Please give specifics about make/model if you can.
Juicer that liquifies fruits/veggies?
Individual size or family size jar?
Ninja?
Vitamix?
Please tell me anything.

SS6099

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 9:37 am
My best investment ever was the Vitamix!

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 11:55 am
What do you plan to make?

Honestly I have no interest in juicing because I prefer to eat my fruits and vegetables. Fruit juices especially are a calorie trap because you can drink more juice than you can eat the equivalent in fruit - eating an orange versus downing a glass of OJ.

In terms of eating healthy, I think having basic good cooking tools that make preparing home cooked meals easier and taking the time to find healthier counterparts for recipes and foods you and your family enjoy is what is necessary for a healthy eating lifestyle.

A food processor - both regular sized and mini sized are critical because they simplify prepping and therefore enable you to make tastier recipes incorporating healthy products

A good stick blender because it is so much easier to puree soups and/or sauces while still in the pot rather than going through the tedious job of transferring to a blender or food processor

A really good set of knives which would include (for me) paring knife; Santuko or Chef's Knife (or both); good quality serrated knife

Good cookware because it helps you cook better. I made do for several years with an adequate but not great set of Farberware - the chief issue was that it wasn't oven proof because of the handles. So what I did was buy individual pieces one by one as I found recipes that I wanted to try. I like to simplify my life by doing all in one recipes which have the vegetables as part of the dish. This makes cooking easier and it also enabled me to have healthier foods because the veggies were part of the dish and were generally much tastier than if I just put together a side of boring steamed vegetables.

Sounds small but very helpful tools are a garlic press; a lemon and lime squeezer and one of those rasps/graters which again simplify prepping healthy recipes.

Bottom line though is making an effort to create a repertoire of healthy delicious recipes that you and your family really enjoy eating.

mha3484

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 12:53 pm
The InstaPot has been amazing. I tend to buy things like meat and chicken, freeze and forget to defrost. Then it was dinner time and I found myself making more pasta, ordering a pizza, raiding the freezer aisle of the grocery store etc, which to me is really not ideal. Now I can put the frozen chicken in and it cooks in under a hour.

artsy

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 1:47 pm
Thanks so much. This is all extremely helpful. I just thought one of these machines might make it easier to increase my fruit and veg intake. And eat more pure diet. But maybe I just need to change my mindset to make that happen.

Amarante

Post Sun, Dec 23 2018, 2:17 pm
I think it would be helpful to you if you posted what your problems are in terms of getting to eat more healthily

Is it time?

Do you get home from work too late to cook?

Does your family not like to eat what they think are healthy?

What do you define as healthy eating.

Your issues would then provide solutions.

For example, the Instapot is helpful if you need to get food on the table as a working woman who is away from home - at least in my experience. It's a sophisticated pressure cooker/crock pot but if you are at home so that you can watch stove in the oven or on the stove it's less functional - again at least in my experience. Once I was home during the day, I didn't mind having stove do a regular braise.

Do you have limited time for cooking? In that case, recipes that freeze well are most useful - again at least in my experience. You can cook large batches on Sunday and then have available for more than one meal. Even when I didn't freeze huge batches, I always preferred recipes that reheated well so that I could at least prep and cook for two meals - or have really nice food available for lunches.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking