Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High schol in ny/queens..for lower academicWell behav BOY

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:32 am
Im looking for high schools for my son. I live in queens and I know yesodai yeshurun is a great school but I think my son may fall very behind/unsuccessful if he were to go there bec he has a hard time with academics.

He is struggling with "making a leining" on his own (is this a requirement for most high schools??)

And he needs more time to grasp academics subjects but with a lot of time effort and structure(discipline in the class) hes okay to grasp basics. (This is hard for me to describe him in writing.) He is well behaved and is talented in non academic things. ....

Is there any high school for boys in ny/long island (preferably queens) ...that is accepting "lower" academic boys where my son wont feel like hes a failure compared to everyonelse in the class?? (He doesnt need special ed but maybe some level in between the "highest" level that a lot of high schools want.

(I did hear of mesivta chaim shlomo?? In far rockaway but do they only accept ppl who live in far rockaway??is it hard to "get in"???)

Please let me know about different high schools. IM NEW TO ALL THIS.

Thanks.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:44 am
You mentioned what you are looking for in terms of academics, but what are you looking for in terms of hashkafa and other factors?

There are some yeshivas in Queens, but not many. Would you consider a Five Towns schools? I know both Rambam and DRS have different levels of classes for a lot of their subjects.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 11:19 am
Goldie613 wrote:
You mentioned what you are looking for in terms of academics, but what are you looking for in terms of hashkafa and other factors?

There are some yeshivas in Queens, but not many. Would you consider a Five Towns schools? I know both Rambam and DRS have different levels of classes for a lot of their subjects.

Thanks so much for replying. I, personally, don't fit into any mold. We are not modern orthodox. We are not yeshivish although we do wear black hats, some of my kids wear white shirts and some colored. And, we will definitely push for college/working, not kollel type. The school he goes to now is a big mix but nit modern orthodox, I'd say it's similar to chofetz chaim.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS FOR MY SON TO BE ABLE TO SUCCEED IN SCHOOL. what I mean is I don't want my son to "drop out and turn to drugs..." Just because I don't usually want a modern orthodox school. Like a girl I know her parents rejected modern orthodox school which had program for her academically so she ended up dropping out ...going otd.

So yeah I'm really looking for more to the right but I need ti know my son wont feel like a failure everyday.

Regarding drs and rambam, is it hard to get into?

Do they give scholarships?

Do they take boys from queens oris priority to boys from five towns?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 11:50 am
What about Chofetz Chaim? Or Darchei?

Would you share where he is now? That could help.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 12:02 pm
Both schools have a number of boys that come from Queens, though I don't know what the current numbers are like. I doubt if they give more priority to Five Towns kids, as they also get a number of Brooklyn kids into their programs.

Both schools give financial aid. I don't know exactly how DRS works it, but I know Rambam gives an option of working for the school as a volunteer to help cover tuition costs (proctoring, selling ads, chaperoning, etc).

As for hard to get into, I really couldn't say. I know both schools are interested in applicants' midos, but I don't know to what degree they count that vs academics.

I will say that application/interview time is basically now, and that if you don't do it during that time it's much harder to get in later. I think that's true of all the high schools, so you'll probably have to keep that in mind no matter where you're applying.

Does your son's current school have any suggestions for schools for him?

headabovewater

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:07 pm
Have you considered Mesivta Ateres Yaakov (MAY) in Lawrence. They have dual tracks. It's a warm and caring school. A Yeshiva, but very normal. Most boys go on to college, and they try very hard to make the boys successful and feel good about themselves. It is late in the application process. I suggest you apply asap. Best of luck.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:08 pm
Have you considered Mesivta Ateres Yaakov (MAY) in Lawrence. They have dual tracks. It's a warm and caring school. A Yeshiva, but very normal. Most boys go on to college, and they try very hard to make the boys successful and feel good about themselves. It is late in the application process. I suggest you apply asap. Best of luck.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
What about Chofetz Chaim? Or Darchei?

Would you share where he is now? That could help.

I live near chofetz chaim (in queens) and was wondering if they have track for less academic boys. I thought they are geared for the top academic boys. Can u tell me about chofetz chaim in queens?? If u know chofetz chaim has a track for "lower achieving" boys, I would send there.

Regarding darchei, I know there is a program that is for boys who are not as academic but I heard it's very hard to get in because a lot of ppl want to go and they only have a few slots. Have u heard differently?

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:19 pm
Thanks to everyone who is responding. Its very helpful.

I'm not applying for my son for this year but doing research now because I'm clueless about the different schools and wanted to hear from ppl who have knowledge about the different schools available.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:36 pm
I have heard different things about Chofetz Chaim in different years. I have a friend who sent her son who was lower ability but highly motivated, and he did well. If you live nearby, I would ask, especially if you know anyone. Feel out what they're doing and who they're looking at right now.

As for Darchei, I don't know the specifics about numbers, but I would still apply.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 1:41 pm
Chofetz Chaim isn't specifically for academic boys, but they do expect effort, even from the less academic ones. I have some relatives that work there, and they all stress effort over perfection. It is more important to the staff that the boys try, and treat all teachers and subjects with respect, whether they intend to learn or go to college after high school.

Mesivta Chaim Shlomo (aka Darchei) is definitely not only for academic boys, I don't know a ton about it, but I don't think it's hugely competitive to get in. They certainly have boys from queens, though I assume the majority are from FT/FR.

DRS and Rambam are both modern orthodox, and more on the academic side. MAY is a little more 'yeshivish', but with a modern orthodox leaning. All great schools, for different types of kids.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 2:19 pm
Darchei info here I believe is not current info. As of this year, there is only an aleph and Bais shiur- they are no longer taking anyone who would belong in gimmel or lower. They opened a new Yeshiva in the five towns similar to Darchei hashkafa wise for those boys. Rabbi weinberger runs it. May ram ban and drs would be good fit depending on the boy. Chofetz Chaim in kgh has a few different tracks and is happy to take the non academic student if he is a good boy.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 3:59 pm
If coed is ok look into hanc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics