Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Essential oils

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:42 pm
I really want to get in to essential oils. I even already own a bunch. The problem is my dh is very sensitive to smell and they really bother him. is there anyway to use a diffuser only when he's not around or will the smell linger?

CHAYA R

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:05 pm
Sorry I wouldnt know for sure. But when I had the vaporizer on with lavender and peppermint oil forna few days when my baby wasnt feeling well, the room still smelled from it for another day or 2 for sure Was soo weird cuz my clothing in a closet that was right next to the vaporizer also smelled. I really didnt mind it I actually love these oils. May I ask what else you use? I have lavender peppermint and rose oil. Hope you I find a solution!

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:10 pm
dh can't stand lavender Sad

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:20 pm
The smell definitely lingers. For a day or two with the diffuser I have.

4pom

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:47 pm
Wow. The smell doesnt linger with my diffuser. Maybe I meed a netter ine and better oils.
No advice though. My husband doesn’t like it either. I put it on when hes not around and as I said mine doesnt linger at all!!
( so hope its ok OP to ask or I should start another thread- off topic. Which diffusers and oils are you all using that linger ?!

Oh OP. Does your husband not like all smells - perhaps he will like some others? Let him choose.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 8:51 pm
The smell will linger, I would not diffuse a scent that a household member is sensitive to. But you can still use them in ways that won't affect him. You can get mini diffusers that won't spread it throughout your home, like USB ones that aren't strong enough to reach beyond your workspace, or a bracelet or necklace that you'll only really smell when you want to. You can also use topical application for certain oils in certain uses.

Using essential oils for simple cleaning, you don't have to go heavy enough to fill the air with them. You can still use an EO cleaner to wipe down your surfaces.

All this is assuming that he's not SUPER SUPER sensitive, because diffusing really does permeate the air so one can be sensitive to that without being affected by other uses. But because you're talking about your husband, you definitely don't want to push anything that's offensive to him.

You should also experiment with different oils and different brands. Personally I am not a fan of lavender at all, while other people love it. There are other oils that I love, that I'm told other people dislike.

rowo

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:41 am
Different people are drawn to different oils, could be that he'd like something else.
I've been studying a bit about them and had to try a bunch, I was surprised to find that some almost repulsed me, while other oils I was really drawn to.

You also only need a few drops at a time in a diffuser. I don't find that the smell lingers.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:06 am
Go to the store with DH, and let him pick some out. Out of curiosity, how does he handle the smell of cleaning products and laundry soap? I'm really sensitive to them, way more than to oils. (Except lavender, which makes me sneeze, and gives me a headache.)

I have several blends that I've made, that suit different moods. I have one blend that I use on my pillow, and it instantly tells my brain that this is sleep time. It has helped my insomnia a lot. It's not that the oils make me sleepy, it's more like a biofeedback trigger. Bed-pillow-smell-sleep.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 5:31 am
so I've only really tried lavender, I find it calming.... so may be the other ones won't bother him as much. That one REALLY bothered him
I asked him today and he said probably all will annoy him
I use free and clear detergent. He's never complained about cleaning products, but I'm sensitive to them so I use a lot of baking soda, plain old fashion soap and water... that kind of thing.
He doesn't like perfume... but he hasn't complained about deodorant, will use aftershave... so may be it's not everything?

Rowo and seeker- which ones did you like? also Seeker can you give a link to a bracelet or necklace- that sounds really cool!

rowo

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:34 pm
I like lavender Smile and other sweet smelling oils like geranium, frankincense, ylang ylang.
but also - lemongrass, eucalyptus and tea tree, which are more 'fresh' smelling - to me.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:50 pm
4pom wrote:
Which diffusers and oils are you all using that linger ?!

I think it has to do with the amount of ventilation in the room.
op, if you can open a window, or get cross ventilation, the scent will dissipate.
I use my diffuser in a room without windows, so no wonder it lingers.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 8:10 am
Alternatives to lavender - depends what you're using it for. Different scents have different effects. For calming, lavender doesn't work for me at all but patchouli is amazing. Again, not everyone will go for it. It's a personal taste. For simply freshening the air, you can try citrus - it's hard not to like citrus scents! I have a blend (Young Living) called Citrus Fresh that's a very light scent. Less intense than orange, but with a similar brightening effect. Thieves (also a YL blend) has a cinnamon-y scent that's pretty easy to like, if you go easy on the amount you use, and that also has a cleansing effect. You can also make your own blends by just putting two different oils into the diffuser at the same time - I like orange+peppermint, very perky! For calming I love to combine patchouli with Stress Away (sorry, another blend, I just love them) which has only the tiniest bit of lavender and an overall nice light smell (there's vanilla in there!) with other calming oils that wouldn't smell very good on their own.

levlongnprosper

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 6:33 pm
Not only will it linger, but there's a good chance that he is more sensitive and will notice it even after you no longer can. As someone who has asthma and who reacts to certain scented products, I would feel really hurt and frustrated if a loved one used something that triggered my sensitivity because they valued a nice smell or aromatherapy over my ability to breath.

Do you have a guest bathroom? If so, ask your husband if this will work for him: You shower in there and dab a little oil on the walls. The steam will "vaporize/diffuse" the oils, and you can enjoy your shower and oils in an area of the house that doesn't affect him.

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Dec 03 2018, 8:42 pm
I hate, hate, hate the smell of lavender, but I love peppermint. Maybe try that? I use it for cleaning products that I make on my own.

sdk

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 1:55 pm
Depends what you want it for, but you can buy necklaces that have a little felt pad you can put the oil on. It's kind of like a locket but with holes in the front and the get goes where a picture would go. Then the wearer can smell the oils much more then anyone else, and your body hear kind of diffuses it. Mine came from Amazon.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:21 am
What are you trying to achieve? it's mostly a fad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics