Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is your house always guest-ready???
Previous  1  2  3

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:16 am
My house is not always guest ready. I'll try to keep the foyer clean so if someone knocks on the door I can open it without a problem.
It really depends though. If someone has nowhere to go and they want to come over and my house is flying I would try to overcome my inferiority complex and tell them, sure, come over. and I would try to greet them with a really big smile and make them feel welcome.
They know that they are popping in without a scheduled time in advance.
If I know that I'm expecting company I will make the effort to straighten it to be guest ready.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:23 am
I live in EY and everyone is always popping in for this or that..So on that level, I could always have guests come anytime. (I am speaking here people NOT family) (If I don't feel like it though, I just dont open the door) Still, I am always conscious that people may knock and need something even if it is only to speak for a few minutes... BH I love this idea though I know it stresses some friends I have. I try to keep my house clean and people/children friendly. I can't stand "museums" without any comforts or evidence of humans... etc.. I grew up in a house like that and it was a nightmare. I want a lived in clean space, not a balagan though.. or mess. There has to be some order. If there are five projects in the middle and they are somewhere around the house, it is ok.. as long as there is rhyme and reason to the way they are put away and stored.. It is ok if they lie around there for weeks or more.. Life gets busy and I want all the members of the family to spread out and share space, but with consideration.. SO... I am TOTALLY ok with my guests seeing life.. and everything! My bedroom is usually OFF limits but was not when kids were little... If I invite someone in, I invite them into my life and I dont want someone scrutinizing my lack or order or whatever... There are some people that do NOT enter my house and that is also a good thing, I think. When I open my home, I open my heart and the truth. I am not perfect, and my house is not perfect. I hope to make good choices of who I invite in.

By the way where I live in EY.. people do not call before coming... and I think it is pretty normal all around.. I love that my neighbor can stop by for carrots or a zuchini for her soup. (yes:) and that a kid from a building across the chotzer wants my air pump or whatchamackalit for putting air in the tires, or someone needs change... etc. etc. etc.. or a neighbor wants to come in to chat about something of mutual interest.. .

Honestly, I worry more about me being guest ready and presentable.. lol

sdk

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 2:21 pm
I live in the middle of a frum area and people are always popping in on shabbas, usually my older kids friends (they are tweens/ teens). I absolutely love having a house full of guests, but it only works on shabbas. Life is busy in the week, I work from home, the kids get home from school late, like 4.45, and I'm very open about it. I tell people, " pop in on shabbas, we love unexpected shabbas guests". On shabbas my house is usually kind of acceptably organised. For me anyway. Like, it will have been tidy just before shabbas so how bad can it get by shabbas afternoon? We still sometimes get unexpected guests during the week, and if it's a mess, I've found that most women are actually grateful to see that other people have messes. It takes down the pressure for them. We mommies don't do ourselves any favours by raising our standards super high. I think you have to find what works for your family. How much organisation for things to function well. How much accessible storage for the kids to chuck things in. When to leave the floor covered in toys and talk to your teenager rather than clear up. Which particular things bother your husband and which don't ( mine can tolerate, even enjoy boys toys mess but find dolls mess much more irritating!!) And which things help your own sanity if you tidy them ( for me, the entryway)We also have certain things that are sacrosanct - nobody touches daddy's computer - we basically have the minimum organisation and tidiness to keep the house feeling pleasant and functional and I honestly find other women appreciate the relaxedness of that.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
my mother says "your house always needs to be ready in case someone comes by". :.

Ridiculous. It’s your home, not a 24-hour pharmacy.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics