Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Mayim Bialik is frum?!?!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:13 pm
Yes I knew that Smile

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:15 pm
whether or not someone is frum should be between them and Hashem. Unless you are trying to decide if the person is a good shidduch for you or your child, etc, there's nothing constructive that would come out of pursuing this line of thinking. There's no to'eles. Can we please stop this thread before it goes further?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:26 pm

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
A Frum women does not Make out in public/on TV and movies with random men.

I remember reading somewhere that she was more comfortable playing a love interest of Jim Parsons because he is gay in real life. So her making out with him doesn't do anything for him... The whole purpose of shomer negiah is to prevent anything from happening, but he isn't interested, so that in itself is a shomer... Just something interesting I read.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:42 pm
I know she's frum and is an actress and scientist. I don't watch series TV so that's about all I know. But maybe she's a member here and is reading this now, so Hi, Mayim! Hi

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 11:43 pm
I bet she is...

I know Allison Joseph is on here.

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:15 am
Can we please shut down this LH fest?
Mayim bialik observes the big three mitzvot, as well as many other mitzvot.
There are plenty of “frum looking” jews who commit heinous crimes and may or may not be sitting in jail. I would sooner attack their “frum-ness” before I attack Mayim, who is a wonderful, vocal about her Judaism, woman.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:22 am
sequoia wrote:
I bet she is...

I know Allison Joseph is on here.

You mean the poet? I didn't know she was Jewish.

Teacher_EW

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:26 am
amother wrote:

I think she is referring to Jew in the City.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:40 am
essie14 wrote:
Can we please shut down this LH fest?
Mayim bialik observes the big three mitzvot, as well as many other mitzvot.
There are plenty of “frum looking” jews who commit heinous crimes and may or may not be sitting in jail. I would sooner attack their “frum-ness” before I attack Mayim, who is a wonderful, vocal about her Judaism, woman.

Thank you, yes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:19 am
amother wrote:
Shes Jewish but definitely not frum. A frum women does not act in a TV show and movies. A frum women does not go dressed like a secular/non Jewish women. One can not know shes Jewish based on how she looks.
There have most definitely been frum people on tv. It can be done.
Dressed secularly? Not sure what that means, but she dresses completely tzanua on the show.
But you are correct that you cant know someone is frum by how they look. NEVER can you know if someone is truly frum by how they look. But you can look her up and find out almost anything you would like to know about her.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:24 am
An example of an orthodox actor would be Steven Hill, frum, fully, and worked in showbiz.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 2:28 am
From my understanding she became frum and already had a role in a TV show. Due to her value as an actor they gave her character a wardrobe and actions that are compatible with the religious lifestyle as she described it to them.
She did feel a bit held back due to her role.
I’ve read about her on Aish.com where she has submitted some pieces.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:08 am
amother wrote:

The poet is named Allison Joseph. The founder of Jew in the City is named Allison Josephs. The fictional (as far as I know she's based on someone but Elvis would only say "Much could be undone by saying more") titular charcter of the Elvis Costello song is named Alison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Joseph
https://jewinthecity.com/about/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_(song)

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:43 am
I knew she was frum. In the beginning of the entire #MeToo movement, she wrote a NYT article promoting tznius as a protection against assault. Yeah. She had to apologize for victim blaming.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:57 am
amother wrote:
Shes Jewish but definitely not frum. A frum women does not act in a TV show and movies. A frum women does not go dressed like a secular/non Jewish women. One can not know shes Jewish based on how she looks.

A frum woman also doesn’t do Lashon Hora about their Jewish sisters even if they have reached celebrity status. How “frum” each and everyone of us is, is not for us to judge.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:01 am
zaq wrote:
Yes.
What amazed me more is that she has a PhD in something like neurobiology.

Why? Plenty of us frum women have advanced degrees. And plenty of celebrities have good degrees too eg Lisa Kudrow although David Duchovny gave up his advanced degree to act/look gorgeous.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:04 am
amother wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that she was more comfortable playing a love interest of Jim Parsons because he is gay in real life. So her making out with him doesn't do anything for him... The whole purpose of shomer negiah is to prevent anything from happening, but he isn't interested, so that in itself is a shomer... Just something interesting I read.

Makes sense to me. If I were an actress I’d only want to snog gay men too. 🤣😃

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 7:08 am
amother wrote:

Great minds discuss ideas;

average minds discuss events;

small minds discuss people.

The words are attributed to social activist and former First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt,

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 10:00 am
Franticfrummie, who ever started this thread & everyone posting a reply is discussing people, not just me, so I guess we all have small minds including you.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics