Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
If ended up eating more mezonos (pizza etc) then I thought,

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 9:55 pm
should I bench? (lets say I said mezonos intending to eat a little) but then I ate a lot more. Should I bench now if I said mezonos?

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 10:07 pm
What sort of mezzonos? Cake? no. Pizza? You should have washed anyway so yes.

JMHO

AYLOR

chicco

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 11:14 pm
Even a cake could be yes. Any pas haba bikisnin. If you eat more than a shiur you should bentch.

Macaroni wouldn't be a problem. Really depends on if what you ate was pas haba bikisnin and how many shiurim you had.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 3:00 am
Pizza, for sure.
Even pretzels would be hamotzi if you have enough.
Also if you are kovea seuda on it, then even only a k'zayis is enough. The amount is also dependent on how much Meeks that person feel full.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 3:26 am
It depends. Chassidishe people usually make Mezonos on pizza & don't bentch. Litvish people don't hold of the whole idea of mezonos on pizza, pita, buns or rolls, or Mezonos bread. If sit down to meal people will sometimes wash on pizza.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 4:41 am
dankbar wrote:
It depends. Chassidishe people usually make Mezonos on pizza & don't bentch. Litvish people don't hold of the whole idea of mezonos on pizza, pita, buns or rolls, or Mezonos bread. If sit down to meal people will sometimes wash on pizza.

And they are all relying on a psak of Rav Moshe based on a time when there was one pizza shop in NY that people went to after melave Malka as a snack. (Based on how DH read the tshuva)

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 5:36 am
Id be very curious to know if *anyone* on this board ever bentched (not just al hamichya) after eating just a lot of cake (or donuts).

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 7:46 am
amother wrote:
Id be very curious to know if *anyone* on this board ever bentched (not just al hamichya) after eating just a lot of cake (or donuts).

You never wash or bentching for boiled or deep fried regardless of the quantity.
Most people won’t wash or bentching when they should do to ignorance or laziness.

dankbar

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 7:56 am
Cake/donuts are considered snack. Pizza is considered meal so could be diff

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 8:41 am
amother wrote:
What sort of mezzonos? Cake? no. Pizza? You should have washed anyway so yes.

JMHO

AYLOR

I learned that you only wash for two slices.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 2:20 pm
Iymnok wrote:
And they are all relying on a psak of Rav Moshe based on a time when there was one pizza shop in NY that people went to after melave Malka as a snack. (Based on how DH read the tshuva)

People also rely on a psak he gave about using Cholov Stam.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 3:13 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
People also rely on a psak he gave about using Cholov Stam.

And so? What are you insinuating?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 3:20 pm
Chassidish here and we wash for pizza if we're eating it as a meal. That's halacha AFAIK, I don't where chassidus would come into the equation.

We hold that if you say mezonos with the intention of eating just a little as a snack, but then ending up eating more, you are required to say birchas hamazon.

I hope you enjoyed your meal Smile

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:31 am
Chassidishe people don't do that bc of r' moshe. The bakeries specifically put in apple juice or orange juice to make doughs mezonos

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:32 am
Litvish people dont hold of mezonos doughs for pizza, pita, bread.

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 11:34 am
Chassidish people drink cholov yisroel. Some litvish people drink cholov stam based on r moshe psak that in US there is no such thing as cholov akim & in places where cholov yisroel is hard to come by they rely on his leniency

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:02 pm
I mentioned Rav Moshe since it seems that there are chassidim relying on his psak. I don’t know how common that is.
Milk r juice in the dough in place of water only helps Ashkenazim and not always. It’s still hamotzi if you are kove'a seuda on it. Kove'a seuda is not just a decision, it’s what you do. If you eat enough of it, or have it with a lot of sides then you’ve got yourself into a situation in which you are obligated in burkas hamazon.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:39 pm
dankbar wrote:
Chassidishe people don't do that bc of r' moshe. The bakeries specifically put in apple juice or orange juice to make doughs mezonos

You are right that the dough is essentially mezonos but if you're eating it as a meal, halacha requires that you wash. This has nothing to do with being chassidish or otherwise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions