Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pitching an article to a magazine/newspaper

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 6:02 am
Has anyone done this before or is there someone who works at a weekly publication and can tell me how it works?

I’m not a journalist but I’d like to pitch an article that will be helpful to mothers on a specific topic that I work in.

Do I send in a finished article or first pitch the idea to gain interest? Do emails get lost in a busy office like that so it’s better to call?

Any advice anyone has would be appreciated!
TIA!

oakandfig19

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 9:48 am
amother wrote:
Has anyone done this before or is there someone who works at a weekly publication and can tell me how it works?

I’m not a journalist but I’d like to pitch an article that will be helpful to mothers on a specific topic that I work in.

Do I send in a finished article or first pitch the idea to gain interest? Do emails get lost in a busy office like that so it’s better to call?

Any advice anyone has would be appreciated!
TIA!

I work in public relations which involves pitching to journalists. There are many ways to go about this and it’s a lot of trial and error. Depending on what you’re pitching, you could benefit from writing a press release and then email that to them.

Whether or not you do a press release, definitely keep the email itself short and to the point and make it clear why they should be interested in your article. I don’t recommend calling, but I would recommend following up a few times if necessary, and also reaching out to the journalist on LinkedIn and Twitter.

It’s not always easy. If you don’t have success with this journalist, try some other ones. Good luck!

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 9:55 am
Write to one of the authors in Binah magazine (they usually have an email address listed at the bottom of their articles). They can probably give you advice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics