Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
We want to change school but I’m so nervous!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 12:56 pm
Hello,

we want to put our daughter into a frummer primary school for a few reasons- it will be easier for her to get into the secondary school we would like for her, she’s not happy in her class and is seen as the “frum shy one”. She has friends outside of school but hardly plays with the girls in her class.
However the frummer school is much smaller and not as well equipped as the one she is in right now and I’m terrified to make a mistake.
Confused How do I know that I’m making the right decision? We have spoken to many people, our Rav, seen the school but in the end it’s a risk. Has anyone been through that and can advise?

tweety1

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 1:49 pm
BTDT! The best decision ever. Daved daven daven and iyh it will work out.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:13 pm
😊 thank you! That helped me.What does BTDT mean though?

oneofakind

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:37 pm
I think the key for a child to be happy in school is her class. If she will fit in better and have more friends, go for it.

QUEENY

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
😊 thank you! That helped me.What does BTDT mean though?

Been there done that

happyone

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 3:56 pm
follow your gut!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:20 pm
happyone wrote:
follow your gut!

That’s the problem, I don’t have so much of a gut feeling here, there are so many things to weigh in- her future high school chances, academic standing of the schools, Kodesh, the class itself, the teachers...

Cheiny

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:36 pm
amother wrote:
Hello,

we want to put our daughter into a frummer primary school for a few reasons- it will be easier for her to get into the secondary school we would like for her, she’s not happy in her class and is seen as the “frum shy one”. She has friends outside of school but hardly plays with the girls in her class.
However the frummer school is much smaller and not as well equipped as the one she is in right now and I’m terrified to make a mistake.
Confused How do I know that I’m making the right decision? We have spoken to many people, our Rav, seen the school but in the end it’s a risk. Has anyone been through that and can advise?

What does your rov say? If he says to switch her, then do so without worrying, knowing you’re following daas Torah. We took our son out of a larger somewhat more modern school in favor of a smaller school, more frum. We made the absolute right decision. Smaller schools also have advantages you will come to appreciate. Good luck.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 4:52 pm
Make sure the limudei chol is adequate

Did I mention , Make sure the limudei chol is adequate

Especially, since she is a girl...

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Dec 10 2018, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
Hello,

Most people don't know if they've made the right decision until long after the decision was made (if ever - as can't live both choices). This is true generally - nothing to do with schools. All we can do is make the best decision based on what is in front of us.

The second schools is not 'as well equipped' to handle what? To handle STEAM curriculum or to handle kids who have learning challenges... ect... ie does it matter just looking at your child's needs.

Its also a risk to keep her where she is not happy.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:14 pm
We have spoken to one of the tutors who know the school and she said the chol isn’t very good and we need to keep on top of it. Having said my child is now behind because of the material she missed in class 2 or/and 3, years in which she had first time teachers in her current school. So I’m not sure I should put so much weight on that...or should I? She could go to another school which is frum but her chances of going to a frummer high school then are much slimmer as it’s mixed.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:36 pm
What grade is she in? What does she want to do?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
We have spoken to one of the tutors who know the school and she said the chol isn’t very good and we need to keep on top of it. Having said my child is now behind because of the material she missed in class 2 or/and 3, years in which she had first time teachers in her current school. So I’m not sure I should put so much weight on that...or should I? She could go to another school which is frum but her chances of going to a frummer high school then are much slimmer as it’s mixed.

If what is most important to you is getting her into this high school (and when it comes time for that - will you second and third guess that choice too?) - then put her into the correct feeder school for the high-school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics