Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
My office is down my back!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 12:33 pm
For many years I got paid by the hour and then FINALLY, got salary starting 2 years ago. Now that my contract is almost up, they're saying I didn't make my time 10% of the time over the last year so can either go back to paying me hourly with approx $3 per hour raise (based on salary divided by hours) or put me on trial for 3 months and reevaluate then. As hard as I try to make my hours, life happens and there are appointments, late mornings or extended lunch breaks and now I feel such a pressure to be perfect, otherwise I lose pay. I refuse to go back getting paid by hour bec see what a huge diff salary makes and what a gullible sore loser I was all these years to get paid by the hour. On the other hand, how can I be perfect????

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
For many years I got paid by the hour and then FINALLY, got salary starting 2 years ago. Now that my contract is almost up, they're saying I didn't make my time 10% of the time over the last year so can either go back to paying me hourly with approx $3 per hour raise (based on salary divided by hours) or put me on trial for 3 months and reevaluate then. As hard as I try to make my hours, life happens and there are appointments, late mornings or extended lunch breaks and now I feel such a pressure to be perfect, otherwise I lose pay. I refuse to go back getting paid by hour bec see what a huge diff salary makes and what a gullible sore loser I was all these years to get paid by the hour. On the other hand, how can I be perfect????

If you want to continue to let "life happen," and to come in late, leave early, and take long lunches, go back on hourly wages. The huge salary difference is due to being paid for hours you're not working, and its reasonable of them to expect that you make up those hours.

Or tell them that you'd like to stay on salary, but at a reduced rate reflecting your reduced hours.

When my employees come in 15 minutes late, or need to take a long lunch, they usually stay late, or make it up another time. Or they've been with us so long, and been so devoted to their jobs, that I understand. But no, I wouldn't accept paying someone for that many hours they didn't work on a regular basis.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 12:43 pm
Did you make up the time when you didn't put in the full hours? Did you get all your work done?

I wonder whether you could negotiate a contract with slightly fewer hours weekly so you won't feel pressure to be "perfect."

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 12:45 pm
Your employer is justified in requiring you to earn your salary and not take advantage of being a salaried employee.

A salaried employee is expected to work AT LEAST 40 hours a week and generally salaried employees work more hours because you are expected to be responsible for finishing a job to completion and on deadline despite having to work late into the night or on weekends.

The flexibility that some salaried employees have in terms of scheduling appointments is a PRIVILEGE that is granted by an employer because they assume the employee is going to make up those hours and work product won't suffer.

That said, there is very real legal requirements in order for an employee to be salaried. You have to be a professional or in a managerial position and earn above a certain amount. Your employer can't just make you a salaried employee because an hourly employee is entitled to overtime when he or she works above a certain hours in a day or a certain number of hours in a week and a legal salaried employee (I.e. one that legally fits the guidelines) is not entitled to overtime.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
If you want to continue to let "life happen," and to come in late, leave early, and take long lunches, go back on hourly wages. The huge salary difference is due to being paid for hours you're not working, and its reasonable of them to expect that you make up those hours.

Or tell them that you'd like to stay on salary, but at a reduced rate reflecting your reduced hours.

When my employees come in 15 minutes late, or need to take a long lunch, they usually stay late, or make it up another time. Or they've been with us so long, and been so devoted to their jobs, that I understand. But no, I wouldn't accept paying someone for that many hours they didn't work on a regular basis.

I've been working here many years and am very devoted so they should understand. I always get the job done and they know that.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 12:58 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Did you make up the time when you didn't put in the full hours? Did you get all your work done?

I wonder whether you could negotiate a contract with slightly fewer hours weekly so you won't feel pressure to be "perfect."

I tried to make up the time but wasn't always perfect and yes, always got the job done. No, I don't want to earn less and they won't let me work less hours.

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 1:46 pm
I work more than full time (40 hours/week at one job and I have another job as well thats about 6 hours/week). I get it and I know how hard it is to live life and work at the same time. Its a lot of pressure and no, it doesnt leave a lot of time for appointments, etc. I know what its like and I feel you.

Having said that, your work expects you to have a certain hours of attendance and thats part of what you're paid for. Not only “getting the job done”, but also being there when you are expected to be there. But with long lunches and late mornings, you are saying that you expect them to pay you for 10% of the time when you arent there. Why would any boss pay someone for time not worked, unless there is PTO that can be used?

Do you have PTO/vacation time at your work? Do you work full time? If you have to have a job with time off for when “life happens”, you’ll need to take their offer or find another job. Thats how it goes in the working world.

It just seems from your posts that you aren’t willing to take responsibility for your absence from the office and put the blame on your boss, claiming that he “wants you to be perfect” and is “breathing down your back”. I don’t think that’s fair to your boss. This is your doing, not theirs.

watergirl

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
I tried to make up the time but wasn't always perfect and yes, always got the job done. No, I don't want to earn less and they won't let me work less hours.

You want them to pay you for hours that you are not working?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:
I've been working here many years and am very devoted so they should understand. I always get the job done and they know that.

But they could give you more work if you would put in your hours. I think your bosses are being reasonable.

Why are you so special that you think you are the only one with a busy life? It seems like you are taking an extra half day off a week that they didn't agree to.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 3:24 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

1. Negotiate a 10% decrease in salary that takes into account the 10% of life happens.
2. Keep track of the times you are late or need to take off and put in extra hours.
3. When you come late or need to take off, ask them to lower your paycheck just for that week.

GreenEyes26

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 3:40 pm
Just out of curiosity, I did a quick calculation of let’s say, a 48-week work year at 40 hours a week. If you miss 10% of your time, that’s 192 hours they’re paying you for!! I didn’t realize how much that would be. That’s a lot of money they’re spending!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics