Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Knife skills

bestme

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:59 pm
I am looking for free online classes that teaches knife skills. I would appreciate links or names of classes. Thanks

centurion

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:16 pm

dankbar

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 2:45 am
Ask clowny she's an expert in knives....shell tell you to dig right in....

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 4:34 am
I get that this is in the kitchen forum, but I don't understand... What do you want to learn about using knives?

(I can teach you how to fight with knives, but unless you plan on cooking your opponents... Again, I don't understand.)

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 4:47 am
Start with a high quality chef’s knife. Sharpening skills are valuable too.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 7:13 am
My husband is all about that lol. You can learn from someone who knows but not a class, like a relative or friend?

cm

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 7:59 am
Sorry, I have no specific recommendations, but if you Google "knife skills free video" you will find many to choose from, including recognized brand names (Food Network, etc).

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:21 pm
Gotta love that Julia.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:34 pm
There would be a lot of youtube videos now - I learned from watching the old cooking shows like America's Test Kitchen when they really did teach technique as opposed to the puffery they have on now.

The most important asset is a great knife - I like the Santuko Style - mine is a Wusthof but there are other well reviewed brands. I also have a Chef's Knife but I generally find myself reaching for the Santuko. It's important to keep your knife sharpened - at home on the blade but every six months I would have it professionally sharpened. A dull knife is dangerous as well as difficult to work with.

There really is a lot to good knife skills. I never knew how to chop, mince or dice an onion until I watched and learned (for example). There is a way to do it so that you not only get uniform pieces quickly and easily but also no tears :-). Although I have both a mini Cuisinart and regular size Cuisinart, for one or two onions, it was faster and easier to do with a knife once I learned how.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 2:25 pm
Amarante wrote:
There would be a lot of youtube videos now - I learned from watching the old cooking shows like America's Test Kitchen when they really did teach technique as opposed to the puffery they have on now.

The most important asset is a great knife - I like the Santuko Style - mine is a Wusthof but there are other well reviewed brands. I also have a Chef's Knife but I generally find myself reaching for the Santuko. It's important to keep your knife sharpened - at home on the blade but every six months I would have it professionally sharpened. A dull knife is dangerous as well as difficult to work with.

There really is a lot to good knife skills. I never knew how to chop, mince or dice an onion until I watched and learned (for example). There is a way to do it so that you not only get uniform pieces quickly and easily but also no tears :-). Although I have both a mini Cuisinart and regular size Cuisinart, for one or two onions, it was faster and easier to do with a knife once I learned how.

Where do you get them professionally sharpened? There used to be a knife sharpener that came around in a truck ringing a bell. I haven't seen this in decades.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 4:33 pm
I am in Los Angeles so not sure it would be helpful. I have used Sur La Table and there are also kiosks scattered around that sharpen knives. A good hardware store also sometimes offer this service.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 4:43 pm
YouTube is my go-to place for new culinary skills.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen