Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does Excessive cell phone use ever bother you?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:09 pm
I’m constantly shaking my head when I see people staring down at their phones while crossing a busy street, while driving (especially when I see a frum man with a long beard, don’t come after me for that!), while walking out of Shul (during the week of course), mother’s with baby carriages crossing the street and ignoring their toddlers beside them, in restaurants while dining with others, you get the picture. It just seems like people can’t stop even for a few minutes at a time, even when doing so endangers themselves and others....

nchr

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:13 pm
I don't notice what other people are doing lol. Guess I don't need a cellphone to not know what's going on haha.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
I’m constantly shaking my head when I see people staring down at their phones while crossing a busy street, while driving (especially when I see a frum man with a long beard, don’t come after me for that!), while walking out of Shul (during the week of course), mother’s with baby carriages crossing the street and ignoring their toddlers beside them, in restaurants while dining with others, you get the picture. It just seems like people can’t stop even for a few minutes at a time, even when doing so endangers themselves and others....

Mothers using cell phones and not watching their kids bothers me.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
Mothers using cell phones and not watching their kids bothers me.

I may b super sensitive because a friends in law was killed by a driver texting and driving

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:29 pm
It did once hit me when I stepped onto a ferry and there were at least 80 people just sitting in rows facing me, all looking down at their phones. It looked like some scene out of a creepy sci-fi world of drugged people.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:30 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
It did once hit me when I stepped onto a ferry and there were at least 80 people just sitting in rows facing me, all looking down at their phones. It looked like some scene out of a creepy sci-fi world of drugged people.

Exactly! My son and I were driving and I was showing him how one person after another was walking in the street looking down at their phone, zombies!!!

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 7:39 pm
amother wrote:
Exactly! My son and I were driving and I was showing him how one person after another was walking in the street looking down at their phone, zombies!!!

not necessarily Zombies. engaged in ANOTHER WORLD different from the physical world that you and they were both sharing.

I can walk in the street but not BE in the street because my head is in another space because of what I am doing on a phone such as texting with one of my kids or listening to a shiur. same with every other person on the planet (you can do this with your thoughts, but a smartphone helps). it is a great reminder to me that everyone perceives the world differently, and this is not the only world that there is.

but obviously there is a time and place for everything. you have to be aware enough of THIS world to keep yourself and others safe.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 2:47 am
Ravenclaw wrote:

If they were reading dead-tree books or newspapers would you have felt differently?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 2:54 am
amother wrote:

Most of those arent examples of excessive use but of unsafe use. But could you explain what your issue is with looking at one while walking out of shul on a weekday?

If I'm using a cellphone when sitting with others (not as a phone, I mean) it's because something came up in conversation and I'm trying to find it so I can show it to someone. Don't worry folks, I can't access this site from my phone. I don't remember my password, my browser's password manager does that for me, and that doesn't get shared with my cellphone.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 6:35 am
Ugh, I can't STAND when pedestrians are looking down at their phones and don't pay attention to the traffic.
My stepkids refuse to put their phones down no matter what. They walk around the house bumping into me and furniture constantly. I hate hate hate it but they refuse to listen to DH's rules. Everything in the kitchen is done one handed and they make much more mess than necessary. They toss garbage in the trash without looking and it lands on the floor. [Sigh]
I spend half my life cleaning up after them.

mom39

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:08 am
Everyone seems to be talking about LOOKING at their phone - not excessive TALKING! Wherever you go people are constantly talking on their phones - LOUDLY and it is very disturbing to me. Especially when the phone rings in places where it should be shut off (chupa, levaya...)

mom39

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:09 am
Everyone seems to be talking about LOOKING at their phone - not excessive TALKING! Wherever you go people are constantly talking on their phones - LOUDLY and it is very disturbing to me. Especially when the phone rings in places where it should be shut off (chupa, levaya...)

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 6:59 pm
imasoftov wrote:
If they were reading dead-tree books or newspapers would you have felt differently?

People don’t read books while crossing the street, while driving, while sitting with others in a restaurant etc., not comparable.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 7:01 pm
imasoftov wrote:
Most of those arent examples of excessive use but of unsafe use. But could you explain what your issue is with looking at one while walking out of shul on a weekday?

If I'm using a cellphone when sitting with others (not as a phone, I mean) it's because something came up in conversation and I'm trying to find it so I can show it to someone. Don't worry folks, I can't access this site from my phone. I don't remember my password, my browser's password manager does that for me, and that doesn't get shared with my cellphone.

All of it points to overuse if not addiction, I hate when I see couples sitting across from another in restaurant and both are on their own phones, and not just for a minute or two,,,,the whole time

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 8:23 pm
I see people using it when driving!
Rarely do people drive right away anymore at a green light -- because it seems now red lights are for texting...as if.
And yes its become "normal" for people to constantly look at their phones, text, etc. when with people irl!
Like its the exception to put your phone away when with people! Sad

I really do feel sorry for the kids.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 1:04 am
amother wrote:
People don’t read books while crossing the street, while driving, while sitting with others in a restaurant etc., not comparable.

Not driving (unless a printed map counts), but otherwise, that's been me at times.

thegiver

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 9:05 pm
mom39 wrote:

Someone once told me to stop talking on the phone on the bus bec not everyone wanted to hear my conversation. It brought me to tears. Pls be careful even if it annoys you. Anaas devarim is an aveiyra. With that said I wish I could stay off my device LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics