Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Would like to a Meaningful bas mitzvah party

renapl

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 12:37 am
My daughter will soon be having her bas mitzvah . Looking for an idea to make the party more meaningful. Something special, or meaningful to do at bas mitzvah other than just projects and games and fun. Any other ideas appreciate d.

ladYdI

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 12:53 am
Challa baking

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:21 am
I second challah baking. I did that by my dd party

renapl

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:27 am
Ty! You prepared the dough before hand and they braided or girls made dough?

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:36 am
I prepared the dough beforehand and at the event I made the bracha. Gave everyone a ball of the dough and taught them how to braid. But ask your rabbi about how to do the bracha.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 7:11 am
I dress up my daughter to these events. I wouldn"t want her coming home with flour etc.

cm

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 8:02 am
What is important to your daughter? Is there an aspect of Jewish life that especially appeals to her? Is she involved in any kind of community service? These are questions to discuss with her to guide her toward developing a meaningful celebration.

cbs880

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:01 am
I have seen a very beautiful and meaningful bas mitzvah where they did a challah bake. Girls were given customized aprons that said ___'s bas mitzvah challah bake. All ingredients prepared in bowls ahead of time. Mother instructed girls on how to make dough. An hour and half later when it was ready. The
Girls mother explained the importance of the mitzvah of challah, and how it's one of the three mitzvos given to women ( all three being a special time for prayer). Called her daughter up, and said now that you're bas mitzvah, you can do this mitzvah yourself. And the girl did hafrashas challah aloud.
Souvenir: challah recipe, instructions, the brocha for hafrashas challah and a note about how it's a special.time to daven...
Was very well done.

laki

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:04 am
I did "kokosh cake" same idea. But only bas mitzvah girl made brucha

spelt

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:06 am
where do you live? I had my daughter's party at Kever Rachel and it was very meaningful.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:15 am
DD and her friends raised money for Israel Guide Dogs for the Blind. They gave her a bunch of brochures to hand out, and a poster to put up at her bas mitzva.

The organization sent her a lovely certificate telling her how much money she raised.

(The guide dogs who don't make the cut, are retrained as therapy dogs for IDF soldiers with PTSD.)

gingertop

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:19 am
-If your daughter is named after a grandmother or tzadeikes, a short video about her namesake could be very meaningful. I was recently at a bas mitzva that this was done. It was really beautiful.

-You can raise money for an organization.

-If in Israel, go to the Kosel/Kever Rachel

-Pack boxes for Yad Eliezer/Tomchei Shabbos based on where you are. Plan a time, book the warehouse and have all her friends come. It leaves everyone feeling very good.

mishpacha1

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:45 am
At a friends, we stuffed teddy bears to bring to children at a hospital (they delivered them later). Was so nice and meaningful!

cuffs

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:49 am
Ruchel wrote:
I dress up my daughter to these events. I wouldn"t want her coming home with flour etc.

You can give out disposable aprons

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:43 am
aprons don't cover arms, and well... preteens lol... they're messy sometimes. I would at the very least be told in advance so I send in casual

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:56 am
I did Challah baking with my niece at her Bas Mitzva, and it really was very beautiful. I prepared the dough in advance, because yes, people are dressed up and don't want to get messy. A good dough will not get your clothes dirty, the flour is already incorporated and won't get all over.

I spoke briefly about the beauty of the mitzvah, and how in E"Y it is a mitzva d'oraysah, but here in chu'l it is d'rabanan, and referred to in the Navi where the Navi told us to make ourselves simanim about how to get back to E"y when we went into the Galus...and this refers to mitzvos we do in chu'l even though their main purpose is to do them in E"Y, such as the mitzva of Hafrashas Challah.

I had my niece come up and make the Bracha for the first time, and everyone said Amen. We then distributed dough to everyone, and small disposable pans, and they braided and egged their Challos. We also had toppings available, like poppy seed, sesame, everthing-topping (mixture of poppy, sesame, onion, and garlic), and cinnamon. We had option to bake, or take it home to bake it. It really worked out very nicely.

keym

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:01 am
We did several meaningful things.

1) night of her birthday, she made a huge batch of challa. Invited a few close friends- 5-8. She was mafrish. They all braided. Then while the challa was baking, she gave a short summary of the halachos of challa.
2) the months leading up to her has mitzva, my husband and I each learned with her. I learned hilchos challa, neiros, tznius from the sources and sefer mishlei. My husband learned hilchos brachos, shabbos, and maybe something else, also from the source.
3) we made a family party. She said a dvar Torah, my husband and I each said something, and each of her grandparents also spoke.
4) after the party, we brought trays of cake and cookies to the local nursing home to share our Simcha.
5) she helped us bring the leftovers - salad, bagels, lasagna to a bikkur cholim coordinator. We packaged them and labeled them to be sent to families whose mothers can't cook- new baby, sick, etc.

syrima

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 2:59 pm
We did a clothing drive with Yad Leah, the girls sorted out the donated clothing. Was very meaningful.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:40 pm
Just a couple points about the challah idea (though nice in theory).

1) It's really preferable to take dough immediately after mixing, no need to wait for it to rise. We try not to wait on doing mitzvos.

2) It's not simple at all that if challah is mixed up with the intention to divide into small pieces that one should be mafrish at all. If all the bowls had 5 lbs worth, or if enough was held for the baalas habayis/bas mitzvah girl that would require hafrasha (and then ascertain if enough with a bracha), then by all means, do it. But if the dough was mixed up with the intention that everyone ends up with less than a shiur for hafrasha, the halacha as I learned it is that one is NOT mafrish.

I like this thread and will be following, though I have a year and a half till IY"H we make our first bas mitzvah.

r1

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:51 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Just a couple points about the challah idea (though nice in theory).

1) It's really preferable to take dough immediately after mixing, no need to wait for it to rise. We try not to wait on doing mitzvos.

2) It's not simple at all that if challah is mixed up with the intention to divide into small pieces that one should be mafrish at all. If all the bowls had 5 lbs worth, or if enough was held for the baalas habayis/bas mitzvah girl that would require hafrasha (and then ascertain if enough with a bracha), then by all means, do it. But if the dough was mixed up with the intention that everyone ends up with less than a shiur for hafrasha, the halacha as I learned it is that one is NOT mafrish.

I like this thread and will be following, though I have a year and a half till IY"H we make our first bas mitzvah.

We made one whole batch for at home, (showing the girls how we made the dough etc.) took challah from that one. Put it aside to rise and had a premise batch for them to braid. We attached both batches for the hafrasha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics