Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Which Dr to use for ear tags

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 10:04 am
My baby was born with ear tags. My pediatrician sent us to an ENT to check it out. The ENT recommended surgery to remove them. He wants us to wait until the baby is about a year old so there is less risk with anesthesia and the area to work on will have grown. He said we need to do it surgically as there is a possibility that the eartags are more than just external skin growths and may have structure under the skin connecting to the ear that needs to be removed too. Recently another Dr. At my pediatrician's office asked me why I don't just go to a plastic surgeon to remove them. His own child had ear tags and had them removed that way. Now a third PA at the practice suggested it as well. I am curious what others in this situation have done. Which Dr and procedure did u use. What were your experiences and what would you recommend. How many really needed the ENT to deal with other issues under the skin after the ear tags were removed. I feel like each Dr will recommend themselves, ENT or plastic surgeon. I am confused which I should go with and what is needee for this situation. Thanks.

EMEN

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 11:06 am
I used Dr. Scott Bartlett- plastic surgeon- from CHOP for my baby.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 12:28 pm
Used dr ezon who is both ent and plastic surgeon (if I recall correctly. And that’s why my pediatrician recommended)
Ours was a simple case. Just cut and stitch with local anesthesia. Did it at 3 months.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 1:48 pm
Could both if you describe the location and number of eartags your baby had? Was scarring a concern? If possible could you please me pictures of your child's eartags so I can compare to mine if I can send you a picture of mine. I just want to be sure we are comparing apples to apples. Before I make the decision to use a plastic surgeon over an ENT I would like to feel confident I did the best to clarify if I really need the ENT expertise. Thanks

EMEN

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:00 pm
I can send you a picture if you PM me.

ladYdI

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:07 pm
My son had 2 many years ago. We had it removed by around 3 months by a plastic surgeon under a local anesthesia

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:19 pm
My niece has them and her parents haven't had them removed. Why is it necessary to do so?

SingALong

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 2:29 pm
My dd has one in the center of her earlobe. Her earlobe was also slightly out of shape like a shallow w. Ear tag was on top of the w shape.
We used a plastic surgeon in Robert Wood Johnson to remove ear tag and fix earlobe shape to look regular. All done at once under full anesthesia at 7 months old. Sorry I don’t have a picture. No one mentioned anything to me at the time about the possibility of a structure under the ear tag. They told me the ear tag was extra skin that’s all.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 5:28 pm
My son was born with multiple ear tags on both ears. We had them removed under general anesthesia by a plastic surgeon when he was seven months old. We were told to wait until he over 6 months for the anesthesia.

Some people here may not understand what your son has when they ask you why you are choosing to remove the tags. It is much more common to have been born with one small ear tag. Not everyone chooses to remove those. What my son had was much more obvious. People would ask about them. Of course I realized that there is always a measure of risk with anesthesia. However, I figured life is hard enough, I don't need to give kids a reason to pick on my son when he went to school if it's something I could fix relatively simply.

Some ear tags are just extra skin tissue. Those are simpler to remove. Some ear tags have extra cartilage inside them too. Those are a bit more complicated to remove and are a reason to use a plastic surgeon. Yes, my son does have some scarring in the area, but it isn't so obvious and just looks like a scar from stitches. It looks, much, much better than the ear tags did.

Good luck with your search.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:48 pm
My friends son Had 2 removed by Dr. Bartlett at CHOP when he was a year. No scarring.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 8:55 pm
How are ear tags different than ear pits in the way they are removed?

Would a doctor who is good for ear tags be good for ear pits as well?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 9:45 pm
My granddaughter had an earpit with on extensive cyst underneath. It was removed under anesthesia at 15 months of age by an ent.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:28 am
Thanks so much for all your replies. My daughter has three ear tags on one ear. They are definitely something you would want removed. They are like little bits if skin hanging by the area where a sideburn would be. They are big enough that people notice and wonder what it is. It's an abnormality she should not have to deal with or be ridiculed for. When she was born the first thing I did was search on here for any threads about this topic. The one I found discussed whether or not it is necessary to remove them. But obviously those women were talking about different type if skin tags. If your child has an ear tags such as mine does there is no question of whether or not to remove them. The question is at what age, with which Dr. And which type of procedure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics