Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
But is this classy?
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:19 am
I need to send a gift to an office in another city that has been extraordinarily helpful. Someone who knows the main person there told me that he loves high end chocolate (and who doesn't?). So I decided on that. In doing my research I found that Costco has nicely wrapped, high end chocolate for 1/3 or 1/2 less than the same chocolate elsewhere, which would allow me to send a bigger nicer box. But it will be marked (on the shipping box, etc) as coming from Costco, and that just doesn't feel elegant to me.

What do you think?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:21 am
Hmmm can you ship it to yourself and repackage it nicely?

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:24 am
Part of the point of this is that I need it to ship directly.

I guess that means no to Costco

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:27 am
I think it is fine.

singleagain

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:28 am
Call Costco and see if they can ship it in a non Costco box.

I know on certain products you can choose to add an Amazon box (like big electronics that would otherwise attract theives)

So Costco might be willing/able to rebox it

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:30 am
nchr wrote:
I think it is fine.

I'd also like to add that I often send and receive such gifts.
When I send to a client who has sent us a huge amount of income, then I wouldn't do Costco, but for those who have been helpful, Costco is fine. I totally wouldn't bat an eye over receiving something from Costco.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:31 am
I think it's fine, costco isn't a junk store. if the chocolate is a good brand, I'm sure they will enjoy it.

watergirl

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:31 am
I would not.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:36 am
nchr wrote:
I'd also like to add that I often send and receive such gifts.
When I send to a client who has sent us a huge amount of income, then I wouldn't do Costco, but for those who have been helpful, Costco is fine. I totally wouldn't bat an eye over receiving something from Costco.

nchr, I consider myself a classy individual (note -- I hate the word classy and am using it only bc I couldn't think of a synonym) and I wouldn't bat an eye if it was something nice. Anyone who wants to send me something gorgeous from Costco, go ahead!

But I think that people who don't know Costco tend to think of it as a place were you buy 10 lbs of M & Ms, not a lovely box of Belgian truffles, and I would hate for these nice people to feel I am dissing them.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:42 am
I would rather buy something small and nicely boxed/shipped from a place like godiva with the same amount of money.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
nchr, I consider myself a classy individual (note -- I hate the word classy and am using it only bc I couldn't think of a synonym) and I wouldn't bat an eye if it was something nice. Anyone who wants to send me something gorgeous from Costco, go ahead!

But I think that people who don't know Costco tend to think of it as a place were you buy 10 lbs of M & Ms, not a lovely box of Belgian truffles, and I would hate for these nice people to feel I am dissing them.

I think it depends on the size of the gift though. I agree that a box coming from Godiva is more impressive, but if the gift is very small it kind of negates it. A box from Costco doesn't scream CLASS, but if it's am impressive gift inside, people will quickly forget the shipping materials.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:48 am
ra_mom wrote:
I would rather buy something small and nicely boxed/shipped from a place like godiva with the same amount of money.

I don't think that anyone looks at or considers the outside box; they look at what is inside.

Buy from Costco.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:07 pm
I am very fancy and I give Costco gift baskets because they are good quality and present very nicely.

sequoia

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:10 pm
Godiva boxes *look* fancy, but the chocolate is not very good.

Go ahead and buy from Costco.

Miri7

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:27 pm
I'd buy from costco - the box will be discarded and what is inside will be appreciated.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:34 pm
sequoia wrote:
Godiva boxes *look* fancy, but the chocolate is not very good.

Go ahead and buy from Costco.

I agree, actually. But I have a feeling these people will like it.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:36 pm
amother wrote:
I am very fancy and I give Costco gift baskets because they are good quality and present very nicely.

I got a beautiful dried fruit basket for someone from there last Purim, and they LOVED it, and I thought it looked great. But because I was having it shipped to me, I was able to "decant" it from the Costco wrappings.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:44 pm
How about Astor chocolate? Check their website.

nchr

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 1:55 pm
I don't know your price point; however, If you don't care about Kashrus, my friend's cousin has a beautiful Chocolate store that ships internationally, who I have used in the past. They have a specialized business/corporate gift catalog. You can PM me for details.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 2:21 pm
Check Lindt and Godiva websites. They are having sales.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics