Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Therapist who can figure out source of emotional issues?
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:31 am
For specific recommendations, I'm in NY, but also asking if this is something that even exists.
I'm not looking for someone to work with my child long-term at this point. Before I look for that, I want to figure out where the issues are coming from so we know what to treat.

School-age child is demonstrating a lot of difficulty, shifting moods, seems very angry at times though happy most of the time, resists talking about it.

I wish I had an emotional x-ray machine to tell me if they are just missing emotional skills or if they have a brain chemistry regulation problem or if there's something going on like CV abuse or something that happened making them feel upset.

Is there anyone who can sit with the kid for an hour or two and come out with a "diagnosis?"

Child was diagnosed with ADHD last year and the emotional health part of the testing was a parent interview that went something like "do they talk about wanting to die? No, ok then they're not depressed." I know that emotional issues can come with ADHD but I want help pinpointing whether that's it or if there is more going on, and if it is part of the ADHD what specifically are they missing that we can work on.

Looking to pay out of pocket whatever it costs to get this figured out as quickly and reliably as possible. Child already had social skills therapy and some sessions with school counselor but I don't feel that it's getting to the issue, I think we all need more insight about what the issue is really about.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:29 am
If you're willing to pay money, I would spend it on a pandas/pans literate doctor sooner than on yet another therapist or psychiatrist. If the child is from a stable home with no major trauma, the issues are more often biological than emotional. They will help you get to the root of the issue.

Pandabeer

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:51 am
Trapped emotions can be a source of a lot of issues, emotional and physical too. I've seen a big change of people I worked with
I can release these trapped emotions. Pm me.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:55 am
Pandabeer wrote:
Trapped emotions can be a source of a lot of issues, emotional and physical too. I've seen a big change of people I worked with
I can release these trapped emotions. Pm me.

Do you do emotion-code?

Zehava

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:58 am
Adhd comes with emotional regulation issues. It’s par for the course. Difficulty focusing is very frustrating and adhd kids are also more sensitive.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:02 am
I believe Dr. Sara Teichman in Lakewood does comprehensive evaluations. Probably costly.
Good for you for being brave enough to want to get to the root of your child's unhappiness. I wish I could scream from the rooftops that no matter how smooth you think your child's life has been, YOU NEVER KNOW.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
I believe Dr. Sara Teichman in Lakewood does comprehensive evaluations. Probably costly.
Good for you for being brave enough to want to get to the root of your child's unhappiness. I wish I could scream from the rooftops that no matter how smooth you think your child's life has been, YOU NEVER KNOW.

You never know what? You never know how they are feeling? You never know what sort of abuse they have encountered? Can you elaborate?

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 11:40 am
amother wrote:

What's her degree in and what's the price range for such an evaluation? Hundreds or thousands?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 12:12 pm
I'm OP and "you never know" is the reason I want an expert. My DC is not open with me. As much as I have tried to keep an open relationship over the years, I'm not confident that they would tell me what they are feeling or if someone or something is bothering them. And a person like me also can't tell the difference between pre-adolescent moodiness and a possible mood disorder. We have relatives with mood disorders. You just never know.

I know that ADHD comes with emotional regulation issues but I want to be sure that's all this is. The child is doing fine in school (we decided that if they started to struggle then we would look into medication but so far that didn't seem necessary.) If it's just ADHD emotional regulation then we'll keep working on that but I'm still worried in case we're missing something.

I would love to know if they have trapped emotions. It sounds possible. But again I want an overall emotional health expert to try to figure out what it is. Definitely not by PMing someone online who claims to be able to release them.

I'm well read on PANDAS and this child doesn't seem to have any indications that it would be that.

Pandabeer

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:
Do you do emotion-code?

Yes

nia73

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:17 am
Please feel free to pm me as I may know someone who can help

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:25 am
Can you provide any more than that without PM?

nia73

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:43 am
Yes sorry. I was going to send you information on a fellow clinician that specializes in work with adolescents and parental support. He connects with them in a more modern manner by allowing for teletherapy which is both convenient and kids seem to be more receptive because of it BH. Plus more cost effective

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:59 am
Thanks but I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I think the child is still too young to be able to work remotely.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 4:55 pm
You need a private (as opposed to a school or clinic based) therapist who specializes in children and adolescents and is comfortable with non-verbal I.e. sandtray, art, play etc. modalities.

It's very possible your child isn't very verbal or just not insightful enough to verbalize what is going on inside of them...which can be just regular frustrations and not anything major. Another angle to explore is for you and DH to go to a counselor to make sure you have the best possible relationship and home environment for this kid.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 5:05 pm
Yes exactly, I'm looking for a private therapist who specializes in children and can use different ways to get through to them and figure out what's going on.

Child is very verbal when it comes to other subjects but not emotionally. Either because they don't like to discuss feelings or because they can't, it's not clear which. I think I (not DH) have a very good relationship but they still shut down about anything unpleasant.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 5:32 pm
Have you called Relief Resources?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:
For specific recommendations, I'm in NY, but also asking if this is something that even exists.
I'm not looking for someone to work with my child long-term at this point. Before I look for that, I want to figure out where the issues are coming from so we know what to treat.

School-age child is demonstrating a lot of difficulty, shifting moods, seems very angry at times though happy most of the time, resists talking about it.

I wish I had an emotional x-ray machine to tell me if they are just missing emotional skills or if they have a brain chemistry regulation problem or if there's something going on like CV abuse or something that happened making them feel upset.

Is there anyone who can sit with the kid for an hour or two and come out with a "diagnosis?"

Child was diagnosed with ADHD last year and the emotional health part of the testing was a parent interview that went something like "do they talk about wanting to die? No, ok then they're not depressed." I know that emotional issues can come with ADHD but I want help pinpointing whether that's it or if there is more going on, and if it is part of the ADHD what specifically are they missing that we can work on.

Looking to pay out of pocket whatever it costs to get this figured out as quickly and reliably as possible. Child already had social skills therapy and some sessions with school counselor but I don't feel that it's getting to the issue, I think we all need more insight about what the issue is really about.
[b]

I know this is hard. And when a child is struggling so, we do not want to see them suffering. We want a quick solution. But unfortunately, there are no quick fixes. Anyone who makes promises to you for some overnight miracle is likely a fraud. The problem (whatever it is) was not created overnight. It developed and festered over time. I am a therapist. And I admit: Some therapists do keep clients in therapy much longer than necessary. This is just as wrong. But healing is a journey and therapy takes time and hard work. I have seen parents who just want to have someone figure out what's wrong and then 'fix' their child, but are not willing to be consistent and follow up with any of the recommendations. They go from 'expert' to 'expert' paying for evaluations, but not willing to stick with a therapist for more than a few sessions, even when progress is being made. Not saying this is what you do, and I hope that you find the right person, but just know that therapy is a process, and cannot be rushed.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 5:54 pm
I am not hoping for a quick solution. I am hoping for a reliable diagnosis and recommendation so that I don't waste years on the wrong type of treatment.

hotzenplotz

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
If you're willing to pay money, I would spend it on a pandas/pans literate doctor sooner than on yet another therapist or psychiatrist. If the child is from a stable home with no major trauma, the issues are more often biological than emotional. They will help you get to the root of the issue.

There is a doctor who is an expert in PANDAS and comes in once a week to Ezra medical
center 718 686 7600. No need to pay money. Just switch your primary care doctor to Ezra for the time you need the treatment. If you are interested you can pm me and my sister has
his name and the day he comes in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics