Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
But is this classy?
Previous  1  2

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 2:29 pm
If this Is an important business relationship and you want to impress them, don't use costco.

Librarian

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 7:53 pm
No don't. Years ago I read a great op-ed piece in the NY Times about paying more for something bought in a brand name store such as Tiffany's. The gist was: sometimes the point IS the box. I think a gift of appreciation especially in a business relationship would qualify for that rational.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
I need to send a gift to an office in another city that has been extraordinarily helpful. Someone who knows the main person there told me that he loves high end chocolate (and who doesn't?). So I decided on that. In doing my research I found that Costco has nicely wrapped, high end chocolate for 1/3 or 1/2 less than the same chocolate elsewhere, which would allow me to send a bigger nicer box. But it will be marked (on the shipping box, etc) as coming from Costco, and that just doesn't feel elegant to me.

What do you think?

If he specifically stated 'high end chocolate' then I definitely wouldn't go via Costco. Regardless of what's inside the box, the name Costco signifies anything but high end. In this case, I agree with the amothers who say that the box is part of the gift. The first thing he will see is a box from Costco and it will color his perspective about what's inside the box.

Mind over matter is really true in these instances.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 8:44 pm
I use Chocolatedecor.com
I love their arrangements.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:07 pm
Small box from Godiva beats big box from Costco, even if it’s a big box of Godiva. The fact that it’s from Costco gives it an aura of cheapness. If the idea is to create an impression of elegance—Costco is the antithesis thereof.

However if you wish to send ME a box of chocolates, Costco carries a box of about 48 Ferrero Rocher, and I won’t quibble over elegance or lack thereof.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:09 pm
amother wrote:
If this Is an important business relationship and you want to impress them, don't use costco.

I agree Costco is in no way classy. A gift from there does indicate the person is trying to save money...it’s a wholesale club.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:10 pm
amother wrote:
I need to send a gift to an office in another city that has been extraordinarily helpful. Someone who knows the main person there told me that he loves high end chocolate (and who doesn't?). So I decided on that. In doing my research I found that Costco has nicely wrapped, high end chocolate for 1/3 or 1/2 less than the same chocolate elsewhere, which would allow me to send a bigger nicer box. But it will be marked (on the shipping box, etc) as coming from Costco, and that just doesn't feel elegant to me.

What do you think?

Also, are the intended recipients frum? If so, make sure you buy cholov Yisroel as some don’t eat the other.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
I am very fancy and I give Costco gift baskets because they are good quality and present very nicely.

Then you’re not very fancy.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics