Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Chatting on your cell phone

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:50 am
I am putting it in “chit chat” because that is exactly what it’s all about. Many times when I am doing my grocery shopping or walking on the street and there a woman on her cell schmoozing in front of me. She walks slow, talks loud, and forgets that the world exists. Its not just like an important conversation- I hear the whole thing! I really don’t think it’s appropriate and wish people would be aware of it. It gets in the way of others. Is it only me that it bothers?!

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:59 am
It’s a problem if the chatter blocks traffic, is so loud that others are disturbed, or is using language or discussing topics that are rated PG or higher. Otherwise, meh. If she doesn’t care that I know what she’s serving for dinner, neither do I. It’s no different from two people chatting in person while standing in line, except that cell phone users are almost always talking loudly enough to disturb.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:25 am
zaq wrote:
It’s a problem if the chatter blocks traffic, is so loud that others are disturbed, or is using language or discussing topics that are rated PG or higher. Otherwise, meh. If she doesn’t care that I know what she’s serving for dinner, neither do I. It’s no different from two people chatting in person while standing in line, except that cell phone users are almost always talking loudly enough to disturb.

She blocks traffic! That’s the problem. It’s so frequent.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:49 am
So tap her on the shoulder and say Excuse Me with an apologetic smile. Not because you have any reason to apologize—she does—but because you never know who’s a homicidal maniac. They often look like normal people.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 9:52 pm
That's part of why I take headphones when shopping, I don't have to hear conversations whether one or both sides is present. I don't wear them in the street because I'd like to hear cars coming and things like that and also I'm moving faster than in a store so, and it doesn't matter if it's one person talking into a phone or more than one person talking to each other, if they're talking loud enough to annoy me I do a quick estimation about how fast they're going and whether the easiest way to get away from the annoying sound would be to speed up or slow down, as the noise tends to be loudest in the direction they're facing.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:06 pm
Don't like it either but a few points to be dlk'z:
Person has a very busy life & she doesn't get to talk on the phone, this now is her opportunity.

She can't get off the phone. the person on the other line is not 'fully there' and so she just needs to go on & on...

there are more possible reasons...

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 12 2018, 10:57 pm
I am more irritated by people texting/Whatsapping when they are walking.

In principle, most people can walk and talk at the same time, but walking and typing on a tiny phone keyboard is more challenging.

Most people's pace simply grinds to a halt while they are typing, and they block foot traffic in stores, on sidewalks, in stairwells,
etc.

Save the texting for when you are on the train or step out of the flow of traffic if you must text someone while on foot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics