Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Introducing solids

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:14 pm
My baby is 6 months old and not a good eater (he gets formula bottles but it's a battle to get him to take a full feeding each time). Whenever I eat, I notice him looking at me and laughing. He seems to be interested so I want to slowly start introducing solids to him but I have no idea how and what. He eats 2 small baby jars a day but I'm talking real food. What can I start with? He also has a strong gag reflex and throws up frequently so it needs to be very soft and manageable.

Or should I just wait longer?

mom!

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:20 pm
Baby cereal?

trixx

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:43 pm
Baby led weaning all the way

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:45 pm
trixx wrote:
Baby led weaning all the way

What is that?

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 12:56 pm
I am a speech therapist, and I deal with kids who have feeding issues from not starting solids soon enough! This is definitely the age to introduce real food, but you dont have to start with solid pieces just yet.
Start with soft veggies from chicken soup, and maybe tiny pieces of chicken mushed up.
Cottage cheese is great, and if you dknt want to start dairy yet them try dairy free soy or coconut milk yogurts.
Buy a mesh fruit teether that you can put mango, apples, pears, watermelon.... into.
Some mashed potatoes and beans from the cholent.
Give him puffs and bamba for snack.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
I am a speech therapist, and I deal with kids who have feeding issues from not starting solids soon enough! This is definitely the age to introduce real food, but you dont have to start with solid pieces just yet.
Start with soft veggies from chicken soup, and maybe tiny pieces of chicken mushed up.
Cottage cheese is great, and if you dknt want to start dairy yet them try dairy free soy or coconut milk yogurts.
Buy a mesh fruit teether that you can put mango, apples, pears, watermelon.... into.
Some mashed potatoes and beans from the cholent.
Give him puffs and bamba for snack.

I’m terrified of him choking. Are any of these choking hazards?

Redbird

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
What is that?

I was very happy with baby lead weaning. Its a method of introducing solids where you basically go straight to regular foods instead of purees, and your baby feeds himself. 6 months old is when babiess have the strongest gag reflex, which is a good thing - because this protects them from actual choking. If you are interested, there is a wealth of info available online.

The problem is that you already started purees so if you would have to stop feeding him solids altogether for two weeks if you want to safely switch to BLW. (because purees teaches your baby to swallow without chewing first.)

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 3:03 pm
Give soft foods in pieces smaller than your thumbnail. If it's soft and small then he can't choke even if he does gag and cough. Avocado, cooked sweet potato, banana and pear are good places to start if you want to get him used to having pieces in his mouth. If you have any of those in the house you could even start today and see how it goes. It'll take practice

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 3:13 pm
Chicken soup is a great dish to start with
As th previous poster said- bamba. Flutes is also a good finger food.
I would also train him to drink sips of water from a cup.
He can hold the crust of the challah by the meal. Great for teething as well

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 5:15 pm
amother wrote:
I’m terrified of him choking. Are any of these choking hazards?

A strong gag reflex means his body can protect itself. This is the age that he learns how to manage solid foods. As long as the food can be mushed or dissolved in his mouth, small bites under supervision is safe.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 7:16 pm
Speech therapist here- none of those foods I posted are choking hazards.
Crust from the challah IS a choking hazard. Only give him the bread parts.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
I can give him bread? How much is safe? If he’s not feeling well now (cough and cold) should I wait until he’s better to start?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:

As a mother that had a few infants... the crust of the challah worked well. They suck it for a while before it even begins to soften. I warm up my challah before the zman so its good and crispy. I watch them a whole time of course.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics