Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Yeshiva University

faigie

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 6:52 pm
here we go again?
Sue why did you put Yeshiva into quote for yeshiva university?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 6:55 pm
faigie wrote:
here we go again?
Sue why did you put Yeshiva into quote for yeshiva university?

probably because it's mo

faigie

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 6:59 pm
Sue?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 7:09 pm
let's be dan lkaf zechus, maybe it's a typo. but yeah

Sue DaNym

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 10:29 pm
it has nothing to do with it being modern. it has to do with the fact that it was opposed by and still is opposed by many gedolim. many gedolim wont even set foot in there and there are many that hold that going to a college and especially yu is assur. thats why I put "yeshiva" in quotes.

Sue DaNym

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 10:30 pm
faigie wrote:
Sue?

sorry I know it seems like im here 24/7 sometimes but in reality I have a life outside these boards too. Smile

faigie

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 10:57 pm
Sue, it has everything to do with being MO. YU is THE bastion university for MO and MO machmir boy/girls. though chasidish boys dont learn there, some of the finest learned minds have come out, over the past 75 years or more from YU.
though your derech doesnt include a college education, youre way is NOT the only derech to mosheach consiousness. following the derech of torah umada, has produced amazing boys/ girls, and consequently fine jewish homes and organizations.
just curious, how does your derech view turo college? what about on-line college ?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 2:13 am
Sue DaNym wrote:
it has nothing to do with it being modern. it has to do with the fact that it was opposed by and still is opposed by many gedolim. many gedolim wont even set foot in there and there are many that hold that going to a college and especially yu is assur. thats why I put "yeshiva" in quotes.

I'm married to a YU graduate. I find this personally insulting.

Which "gedolim" are these?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 10:17 am
I can see how anti Mo rabbis would disagree with YU since it's Mo.

Interestingly, a few years ago, I heard about it and thought maybe I should go and study there. Then I saw class pictures and the girls were rarely tznius, sometimes vERY untznius, so I thought "ok not for me". But there are bad elements everywhere!! In a sem it won't be untznius girls, it will be hypocrits who dress tznius but have boyfriends. Not better.
I have a cousin in YU, a very good boy.

Fun coincidence, my husband, years ago, although heard of it and asked his rav about if he should go to (public) university in his country and kollel, or go there so he doesn't have to do 2 things at the same time (uni at day kollel after). The rav said YU was no good and it's better to go to a parve university (non Jewish) and then to a Litvish kollel.

Motek

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 5:25 pm
for more on Modern Orthodoxy and YU see the thread on this topic in the Controversial forum
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics