Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Monsey girls-YSV vs BYCC

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:27 pm
Hi-I'm looking into these schools for the coming school year.
Can anyone share information regarding the crowd, academic level, administration etc?
(I know school are difficult to get into , but putting that aside I would like to see which of these would be a better fit.)

Thanks.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 9:59 pm
Chafetz chaim is more Frum and yeshivish than YSV.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 10:47 pm
The girls are better prepared academically for HS at CC than YSV.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:06 pm
The education at BYCC is really good. But there are many things in life that are way more important than a high education.

Your daughters happiness, well being and feeling safe ( not bullied by the hanhala) in school out weighs any potential higher education.

I had a DD graduate from BYCC. I have a DD in YSV.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:35 pm
YSV more than adequately prepares the girls for highschool. I went to a very academic highschool and there was really no difference with the bycc girls vs the ysv ones. Whoever tells you ysv isnt academic enough doesnt know what theyre talking about.

Both schools have a mix of very yeshivish to just plain frum, but ysv has a a larger percentage of just plain frum and bycc has larger percentage of very yeshivish. Your daughter will have some exposure to all types in both schools though.

Ysv is huge. Large classes, multiple classes per grade, huge (nice) building with an auditorium for gym and performances. Bycc is small, way less students and smaller building (dont think they have an auditorium)

Ysv is run by a hanhala made up of a bunch of principals for both limudei kodesh and chol, and there is a totally separate tuition board. Principals have no idea how much you pay or whether you are late in tuition payments. There are also people to appeal to if you have a problem-there is no one person in charge of everything. BYCC is basically run completely by Mrs Zaks. Shes the captain of the ship with regard to chinuch decisions and tuition payment.

Ysv recently has started implementing more yeshivish rules but theyre still considered pretty middle of the road. They recently started a rule about knee socks being only solid black or navy with no designs (this after too many girls were wearing socks with kissy face emojis and flames). But they still allow any color shoes, funky headbands etc. I believe Bycc has stricter rules about the color shoes, and in general is a bit stricter with these kind of things.

Both ysv and bycc have a wide array of fun extracurricular events, trips, fairs, carnivals etc to make learning fun.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 11:46 pm
My husband knows Henoch and Leah Zaks personally for 40 years...

On a social/friends level they are very nice people..

On a business level, if you are VERY WEALTHY , the school is a good fit for you...

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 10:37 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

On a business level, if you are VERY WEALTHY , the school is a good fit for you...

That is not true, you do not have to be wealthy to send there. Rabbi Zaks will work with you when it comes to tuition. I send my daughter there and I am very happy so far. It is yeshivish and on a high academic level.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:
The girls are better prepared academically for HS at CC than YSV.

No bias or anything but that is a pretty strong statement to be given without explanation or basis.... . I went to BYCC and was very happy there and have only good memories and feelings . But with all due respect, my friends and I all agree that in high school that the YSV girls were more prepared in a well rounded, responsible and critical thinking way, while us at BYCC were prepared by having memorized a few key things in advance.

Maybe things are different year to year and maybe preparedness is different in different areas...

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 10:50 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

I have heard this as well...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Dec 01 2018, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
That is not true, you do not have to be wealthy to send there. Rabbi Zaks will work with you when it comes to tuition. I send my daughter there and I am very happy so far. It is yeshivish and on a high academic level.

So I actually saw a copy of their application and one of the questions on it is:
Can you pay full tuition or do you require a scholarship?

I've never seen a question like that on any other schools' applications (and I've seen applications from a number of schools.) I'm just wondering if this question is a sign of what they consider important. Does anyone know what full tuition there is?

Also what are the tznius rules at CC like?

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 12:29 am
amother wrote:
So I actually saw a copy of their application and one of the questions on it is:
Can you pay full tuition or do you require a scholarship?

I've never seen a question like that on any other schools' applications (and I've seen applications from a number of schools.) I'm just wondering if this question is a sign of what they consider important. Does anyone know what full tuition there is?

Also what are the tznius rules at CC like?

I send to bycc and I went to the school. I am happy bh as is my dd. They will work with you in regard to tuition if needed as I know many families who they are working with.
I pay close to 9k but it includes building fee and dinner ad etc. I think tuition is about 8 really can be mistaken. Kindergarten is very cheap.

Tznius rules are the typical like every other school. Nothing much different. The only thing that bothers me is the specifics in shoe color for older girls but honestly it's similar other schools. It is a fun warm school.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 2:00 pm
Does anyone know what tuition at prospect park Monsey is and how willing they are to work with you?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:11 pm
I went to BYCC and from what I hear from my friends children’s experiences, not much has changed.
Like others mentioned, the school has high academic standards. Your daughter will come out knowing a lot. There are a number of extracurricular activities and trips throughout the year, which is nice.
That said, it is a one woman show. There is no board or any real “checks and balances” in place. The principal runs the school as she sees fit, which is known to change day to day or depending on the financial status of the student. She has no qualms sacrificing a child’s self esteem to promote her schools image.

If you want any further information let me know.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
I went to BYCC and from what I hear from my friends children’s experiences, not much has changed.
Like others mentioned, the school has high academic standards. Your daughter will come out knowing a lot. There are a number of extracurricular activities and trips throughout the year, which is nice.
That said, it is a one woman show. There is no board or any real “checks and balances” in place. The principal runs the school as she sees fit, which is known to change day to day or depending on the financial status of the student. She has no qualms sacrificing a child’s self esteem to promote her schools image.

Why don't you tell us what you are really thinking next time LOL

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:

Extremely well put. As a fellow alumni, I cannot agree more. Good point about no board / checks and balances etc........... etc.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Dec 05 2018, 4:29 pm
Thanks for the responses,
How does Bas Mikroh compare to these schools?

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:43 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Why don't you tell us what you are really thinking next time LOL

Apparently it's against Imamother rules to speak negatively about this school on an open forum, even for those of us that have a psak from a rav that it is a mitzvah to tell people to save them the heartache and pain the people running that school like to inflict. So yeah, feel free to message me for more info - I will, and have in the past, gladly give my phone number to personally tell people the ugly side of BYCC.

A great education is not the be all and end all of life. I happily sacrifice some of that to have healthy, normal children who attend a school where the principal values them as people and doesn't judge them by the amount of tuition they can pay (because she doesn't know!!! And that's how it should be).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics