Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Hot chicken soup

happymom123

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:24 pm
I have a chicken soup on the stove now (10:30 pm) and there's no way I'll be up long enough for it To be cool enough to stick in the fridge. How do I leave it to cool overnight safely?

married123

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:27 pm
I would shut it now, let it cool and continue cooking in the morning. Usually if I know I won’t be up long enough I prepare it, put it in the fridge and just put it up in the morning

thanks

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:33 pm
Can you put it outside?
In the winter, sometimes I put the pot outside in a box so no animals can get to it.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:33 pm
I would make an ice bath in the sink and put the pot in it or assuming it’s winter where you live stick it outside to cool down.

watergirl

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:57 pm
married123 wrote:
I would shut it now, let it cool and continue cooking in the morning. Usually if I know I won’t be up long enough I prepare it, put it in the fridge and just put it up in the morning

If OP works, this isnt possible.

I leave it on the counter and set a timer to wake me up in a few hours and then put it away and go back to sleep.

happymom123

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:05 pm
I can't put it outside and I don't have ice so those two are out.

Setting an alarm probably means I'll shut it off and roll over so I can't do that.

I work but I'll be home for about an hour before I leave and I only am out for 4 hours. If I leave it closed overnight then reboil for an hour in the morning then cool for 4 hours is that safe?

I once read that if you bring the soup to a boil when the pot is closed then it's safe to leave out overnight, any truth to that?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:09 pm
Just set your morning alarm for 6am and you'll be fine. Leave it out until then.

happymom123

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:11 pm
7 hours is ok?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:11 pm
happymom123 wrote:
7 hours is ok?

Yes I do this up to 7 hours. A full big 8 quart pot is still a good temperature by then.

4everhappy

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:39 pm
I also leave it covered on counter overnight.

smile4ever

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:48 pm
I leave it to cool off a bit, maybe a half hour and put in the fridge still hot. If its still really hot I'll put a hot gove underneath so its not directly on the shelf

etky

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:50 am
mha3484 wrote:
I would make an ice bath in the sink and put the pot in it or assuming it’s winter where you live stick it outside to cool down.

This is what I do when I need to cool a boiling pot (usually soup) down quickly. I just use very cold water from the tap. When the water heats up from the pot I drain it and refill with new water. It doesn't take too long before the pot is cool enough to go into the fridge.

WastingTime

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 1:57 am
Every time I make soup on A Thursday night I turn it off before I go to sleep and put in fridge in AM.
Been doing this 15 yrs without a problem.
Unless your house is extremely hot I don't see any issue even though I know food safety police say otherwise
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics