Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Asking for a friend: RBS for African American gerim
Previous  1  2

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 6:15 pm
amother wrote:
Ummm ok Rolling Eyes thank you. I guess.... would you be Black, Haitian, of French or African decent to know the nuances? Or are you judging based off of your cousins' African American husband? Or what you perhaps think you know about any of the subgroups thereof?

I'm not sure why you're getting offended. I understand where Ruchel is coming from. You mentioned joining a community where there are french people, and she's saying that if he isn't culturally french, that won't be helpful to the family. I happen to be very familiar with the nuances, as I have both close relatives and friends who are french and others who are geirim of Haitian descent. They are vastly different, culturally. Ignoring that fact will not help anyone. The best way to help this family is to identify a community that they will fit into culturally.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 8:35 pm
You are all so D--N uncomfortable with this topic that you are tripping all over yourselves, and twisting your language into pretzels trying to be politically correct.
the question is this:
Where will these people who are also Olim, also non Hebrew Speakers and look different than most Jews feel valued, accepted and loved for their strengths?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:02 pm
turca wrote:
How does Sephardic get into the whole thing?

What is the question? As gerim I suppose they selected to go by Sephardic minhagim. It makes more sense actually.....

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:14 pm
amother wrote:
You are all so D--N uncomfortable with this topic that you are tripping all over yourselves, and twisting your language into pretzels trying to be politically correct.
the question is this:
Where will these people who are also Olim, also non Hebrew Speakers and look different than most Jews feel valued, accepted and loved for their strengths?

THIIIISSSS☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼

It seems the focus on the differentiation between French, Haitian, and African-American has thrown everyone off a bit.

I posted here for honest feedback as I assume women here are from various places and can tell me the reality. They are very honest and realistic about the limitations, discomfort, etc. but I tell them it is different here as religious Jews with Black skin are more commonly seen so not so strange compared to America.

Non-Americans have a bit of difficulty with the context that still exists though people like to shy away. In France, he was seen as French. In America, he is Black. No time for a history lesson on impact of a country built on slavery. The Blacks there Jewish or not REALLY are in a unique battle. Stam...

I will tell the Carmiel maybe based on suggestions (though I do not see it as viable). RBS on surface seems ok. If anyone has contact info for someone they can email/call please let me know.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:16 am
Tami Elmaliach
olimhelp@gmail.com
050-451-8889
Liaison to the municipality for the Anglo community in Bet Shemesh

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 12:28 am
amother wrote:
THIIIISSSS☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼

It seems the focus on the differentiation between French, Haitian, and African-American has thrown everyone off a bit.

I posted here for honest feedback as I assume women here are from various places and can tell me the reality. They are very honest and realistic about the limitations, discomfort, etc. but I tell them it is different here as religious Jews with Black skin are more commonly seen so not so strange compared to America.

Non-Americans have a bit of difficulty with the context that still exists though people like to shy away. In France, he was seen as French. In America, he is Black. No time for a history lesson on impact of a country built on slavery. The Blacks there Jewish or not REALLY are in a unique battle. Stam...

I will tell the Carmiel maybe based on suggestions (though I do not see it as viable). RBS on surface seems ok. If anyone has contact info for someone they can email/call please let me know.

This is why some feel that the PC term for such a person is Black.

My husband considers himself African American. He is white as white gets. His mother was born and bred in South Africa, and he himself was born and bred in America, hence African American. My husband is more African than the average person of color is.

juggling

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 1:02 am
I think it's worth pointing out that rbs is not a monolithic community. If they join a very yeshivish community, they will probably have a different experience, than if they join a more DL community, or YU-yeshivish, or Carlebach, etc. Rbs has many types of people, true. But I have a suspicion their experience will differ, depending on which schools, shuls, etc., they choose. If they really want to join a charedi/black hat community in rbs, I think they should speak to other geirim in that demographic. Some demographics are more judgemental than others.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 6:07 am
amother wrote:
Ummm ok Rolling Eyes thank you. I guess.... would you be Black, Haitian, of French or African decent to know the nuances? Or are you judging based off of your cousins' African American husband? Or what you perhaps think you know about any of the subgroups thereof?

Oh, huney. You don't even write under your name. Please. Yes I totally can tell you that the Netanya crowd won't have much in common with black Haitian except LANGUAGE. And Haitian, Caribbean, etc, is extremely different from random French too. Good luck to them, and stop being nasty undercover. You don't know me and I wish I didn't try to help.

Also, he's not "African American" at all. It seems YOU have big racial hangups.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 8:05 am
Beit Shemesh Aleph is very open to Anglos of all different backgrounds, gerim, BTs, different color, etc. Quite a few Sephardim mixed in, and everyone seems to get along really well.

The Old City is mostly Ethiopian and secular Jewish. It's affordable, but very run down looking (hence, OLD). I don't know how suitable the shuls are there, or how many Anglos are there. I notice that a lot of the secular people speak Russian.

Beit Shemesh Bet and Gimmel are NOT recommended. They are white, Ashkenazi, Charedi or Chassidic. A few Yeshivish areas are there, but still, very white.

I often take the bus through all of these areas, and my favorite pastime is to people watch. I notice nuances a lot.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 8:34 am
I will be honest. They will stick out and draw stares almost everywhere in Israel, because they are different.
There are not a lot of African Americans or Haitians here, and certainly very few charedi ones. That means they will draw attention.
(The Ethiopians look very different, speak a dif language, and have their own community).

They need to find a community that will accept them after the initial raising of eyebrows. I think they would have a lot more luck if they were not charedim/black hat..the charedi community in Israel is very conformist, and it's hard for people who are different to really fit in.

They should ask other charedi black gerim for their experience. I remember reading of an AA haredi rapper in Tzfat, Nissim Ben Blak. Maybe they could contact him.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 8:44 am
amother wrote:
I will be honest. They will stick out and draw stares almost everywhere in Israel, because they are different.
There are not a lot of African Americans or Haitians here, and certainly very few charedi ones. That means they will draw attention.
(The Ethiopians look very different, speak a dif language, and have their own community).

They need to find a community that will accept them after the initial raising of eyebrows. I think they would have a lot more luck if they were not charedim/black hat..the charedi community in Israel is very conformist, and it's hard for people who are different to really fit in.

They should ask other charedi black gerim for their experience. I remember reading of an AA haredi rapper in Tzfat, Nissim Ben Blak. Maybe they could contact him.

Nissim Black is amazing! I knew him back in Seattle before we both made Aliyah. If you can reach him, he will be super honest with you. Same if you can reach Jacob Lunnon (he's on FB). PM me for my real name, and I'll see if I can help make introductions.

sarahmalka

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 4:28 pm
I don't know nissim black but I might have a friend with his contact info if FF's lead doesn't pan out.
This has been a really interesting conversation to read.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 11:22 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Beit Shemesh Aleph is very open to Anglos of all different backgrounds, gerim, BTs, different color, etc. Quite a few Sephardim mixed in, and everyone seems to get along really well.

Meh. We are white geirim, and getting into a yeshivishe cheder was a job and a half. Accepting on the surface maybe, but not very tolerant underneath.

turca

Post Sat, Dec 15 2018, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
What is the question? As gerim I suppose they selected to go by Sephardic minhagim. It makes more sense actually.....

What type of Sephardic community are they looking to join?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 6:57 pm
Well they said that have been around a mix (obviously with exception of Syrian). So pretty open. He is more concerned about the wife and babies/toddlers as they are not interested in pushing into a place they are not wanted.

What about the guys from Torah box? Anyone have info on how to connect them to those guys. And yes a contact with Nissim Black and his wife seems appropriate as well as other religious Black Jews.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions