Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
First minyan taking food to go (kiddush) before dh minyan
Previous  1  2

Ok or rude for men from first minyan to take food from midweek kiddush before dh (second minyan) finishes davening and/or to take food to go before dh minyan finishes?
ok  
 33%  [ 31 ]
rude  
 66%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 93

groovy1224

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks but not sure they wont just open the box.

That's absolutely boorish. I would put up a sign saying this food has been sponsored by the ____ family l'ilui nishmas_______ for the 9:00 minyan. Kindly do not partake if you are not a member.

And alert the Rav that this is going on. These men are stealing. And whipping out to go bags?? Is this for real?

watergirl

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
This thread reminds me of the recent uninvited alcoholic showing up to a Kiddush...right down to the op's seemingly refusal to entertain any possible solutions & trying to elicit more rebuttals. Just sayin....

I think you’re right.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:24 pm
watergirl wrote:
I think you’re right.

I had friend who liked to say "I propose... you dispose."

imasoftov

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 3:07 am
Harried mama wrote:
Definitely rude, but who makes kiddush during the week?

Some people prefer to do it on the day of the yahrtzeit, some the Shabbat before or after.

OK, so yeah, it's not OK, but if you keep putting things out and they keep getting taken, you've got two choices
1) don't put things out early
2) live with it

I mean you could try a sign, but I wouldn't expect that would work.

At my shul we've got two minyanim with a kiddush for each and we don't put either out way in advance to avoid evaporation. If there is a lot to prepare, we make platters and leave them in the kiddush. No one, however, has found a way to stop children from, after kiddush is made, filling a drink cup (or two) up with cookies.

It's lots of fun when it's a catered kiddush and the caterer puts out food hours in advance and then find lots of food has been grabbed by kids and simcha guests who came to hear the speech and the Torah reading but hang out in the kiddush space during Musaf.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 3:11 am
Harried mama wrote:
I've seen people bring mezonos to shul for a yartzeit, but I've never heard it being referred to as a kiddush unless it's on Shabbos or YT.

Yeah, it's not a kiddush, kiddush is what is recited over the cup of wine or liquor, but when someone says "there was a great kiddush at shul today" they mean the spread afterwards so it's easy to see how that could expand to any food served after any Shacharit.

I've never heard of food served between Mincha and Maariv on a weekday called Seudah Shlishit or Sholeshudes but it wouldn't suprize me.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 3:13 am
amother wrote:
I agree with you, but not going to hide food.

"I'll just turn off the lights and sit here in the dark and post about it"

Iymnok

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 3:19 am
Get a bow that says "Kimberly paper towels". Leave it outside the bathroom.
Many kiddushes I’ve seen (on shabbos) the platters are set and covered in plastic wrap. A box full of those that’s sealed sounds good.
You could deliver it to the Shul 15 minutes before his minyan finishes.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 6:19 am
Harried mama wrote:
Definitely rude, but who makes kiddush during the week?

smachos

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 1:23 pm
I think it's called a Tikun.

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 3:12 am
I answered okay when I thought the platters were set out for everyone. I would change that answer now. What the OP described sounds awful.

Debbie

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 3:44 am
Rappel wrote:
I answered okay when I thought the platters were set out for everyone. I would change that answer now. What the OP described sounds awful.

Same here Rappel.
I wonder if the answer can be changed!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 11:39 am
Put out half for first minyan. Save second half for second minyan with labels.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Dec 17 2018, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
This thread reminds me of the recent uninvited alcoholic showing up to a Kiddush...right down to the op's seemingly refusal to entertain any possible solutions & trying to elicit more rebuttals. Just sayin....

OP got her solution about half way through the thead. The nasty cyber bullies didn't want to hear that her problem was solved even though she kept posting she had her solution.

Just sayin....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette