Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I have a problem with a teacher
Previous  1  2

ellacoe

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 11:50 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Do you have girls in school? Have you ever had to deal with a situation similar to this? All the positive "I" messages are nice and dandy when the teacher is receptive, which this one is not. The principal is likely aware that there's a general problem but spelling out specifics will enable her to deal with it effectively.

As for vengeful teachers: A few years ago, when I got nowhere with dd's 4th grade teacher I let her know in advance that I was calling the principal the next day. This gave her time to approach the principal and discuss the issues with her before I called. Before we hung up the phone I told her clearly that, as a teacher, I know how tempting it is to take revenge on the child of a difficult parent and that she'd better make sure that didn't happen. I then asked if she understood me loudly and clearly. She said she did. Once the issue was dealt with (the teacher stopped insulting the class, and making biting comments to 10-year-olds), the rest of the year went smoothly.

It is not a question of using I messages etc. What is a persons initial response when a faced with complaints and criticism? Defense. What I was suggesting was going in with a positive approach. What Principal can disagree with a parent who is asking for a well run classroom?
By first setting out what you want in a positive manner you allow the Principal to come on board so to speak to make it happen.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 3:18 am
amother wrote:
I can call the principal, but I don't know if I can trust the principal to not repeat my criticism of the teacher in my name. I know how these things work. I agree the school must know. My question is how to inform them without my child being the one to suffer because of it.

It seems possible to me that if you don't trust the principal for this and you don't trust the teacher not to take your complaint out on your child, you shouldn't entrust your child to them at all.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 3:01 pm
imasoftov wrote:
It seems possible to me that if you don't trust the principal for this and you don't trust the teacher not to take your complaint out on your child, you shouldn't entrust your child to them at all.

With the principal, I don't know. I'm not saying I can't trust the principal, I just haven't dealt with the principal previously to know. The teacher really needs a full re-boot.

ssspectacular

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 3:10 pm
There's no reason not to approach the principal IF you can speak nicely and back up your stories with facts. I wouldn't worry about the principal telling the teacher. That's really not your concern here. Your concern is what's happening in the class.

flmommy

Post Fri, Dec 14 2018, 4:07 pm
Trust the principal but make sure he ir she knows that you want what you said to be kept confidential and not get back to your child. If the person is a professional they should do this.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics